close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Caliber war of a whole new kind! Which is LOUDER?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by NateHodge, Jan 15, 2012.

1. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Mar 18, 2007
    Laurel, MS
    There are a few(hundred) dogs running around here as I live out in the country. Some get in the garbage, some just run around the yard at night and bark at you. Now, I would never shoot a dog unless it was aggressive to me or my family or trying to hurt my livestock/chickens. But I do occasionally fire a few rounds into the ground if I catch them doing something they don't need to be doing.

Normally, I use my G19 to shoo them off. Well, just a few minutes ago, the neighbors dog was asleep under the porch and my wife walked outside and startled it, so naturally it started barking at her. This time, I grabbed the G22.

With my G19 my ears are ringing after a couple of shots, but I just noticed that with the G22, I can't even tell I fired a round off. I know I should always use ear pro but I don't always have time. Has anyone else noticed that their 9mm is louder?

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Different rounds will sound different in different guns, and this will all be unique to the individual shooter.

3. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Mar 18, 2007
    Laurel, MS
    UPDATE: and a kind of funny one now that it's over.

2 Deputies just pulled up. I saw the lights through the window and looked out the kitchen window. I saw the searchlight on the a-pillar and knew immediately it was an officer. So I stepped out on the porch. He got out and told me they got a call from a concerned citizen saying they heard a woman scream then heard gunshots. I told them the deal and immediately came inside and called my wife. She was already back on our road from an ice cream run so I stepped back outside and told the officers before they left that she was almost back.

I'm just glad they didn't come up with guns drawn down on me and I stepped outside on the porch in plain view so they didn't have a reason to get nasty.

4. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Dec 28, 2006
    Green Country
    Just don't shoot at anything with a 357 sig sir.

It's louder than judgment day IMO.

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    FWIW, a ported .357 snubbie is pretty damn loud, too. :)

6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Oct 25, 2008
    Man, there are other ways to scare off critters, use ear protection all the time. If your ears are ringing, you're losing hearing.

7. 5.56 and 9mm are loud to me. Magnum deer rifles boom.

8. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    The few times I've shot a handgun off without ear protection, I was actually pretty amazed at how loud it was. Last gun I shot that way was five or six rounds out of a G19- my ears were ringing for hours.

I never got how the professionals do it at war- hearing gunshots all day long.

9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Dude -- got a .22?

Get some rat-shot and just pepper the hell out of them when in range.

10. .338SAKO

.338SAKO

Oct 26, 2011
    My good friend wanted to shoot my .50ea desert eagle, after a couple shots he couldn't believe how loud it was. BTW I use ammonia to keep dogs out of trash it tears their nose up.:whistling:

11. owl6roll

owl6roll

Sep 9, 2004
    ALABAMA
    Yeah, a .357 revolver.....make sure the muzzle is all the way out of the PASSENGER window before you shoot at a coyote, on the side of the dirt road, on the way to the river!!!

12. emopunker2004

emopunker2004 Da Jaila'

Apr 17, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    THIS I had a Charter Arms .357 MagPug and that sucker was LOUD! The concussion from it was ungodly!

13. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Moderator

Jan 1, 1970
    I have a snub-nose S&W .460 Magnum and a 6.5" S&W .500 Magnum. They are both unbelievably loud. The sound is a physical presence. The first time I fired the .500 at the range, everyone on the firing line stopped to see what had happened. It sounded like an explosion followed by a cease-fire.:supergrin: Eric

14. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Jan 25, 2008
    New England
    If you carbon copied that incident in MA the response would have been a full blown SWAT team swarming the house.

15. .338SAKO

.338SAKO

Oct 26, 2011
    I wasn't the brightest guy around as a kid. I got a .44mag and shot it one day around a box w/o hearing protection. One hell of a headache. Now I am slightly hard of hearing. But I can shoot my 10mm, .45, 12 gauge w/o hearing protection a couple times without ringing. I do practice hearing conservation now when I can to preserve what I have left. When I cant ( shooting to scare off dogs etc...) no ringing at all. I guess that's how the military guys do it.

16. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Hell, 12-guage doesn't bother me in the SLIGHTEST. Been shooting that stuff for nearly 18 years, in large quantities and it's never phased me. Maybe I'm blessed (maybe I'm stupid).

17. I've often wondered this. Is hearing loss a given in battle? I'm guessing no one wears hearing protection in war?

18. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    M44 mosin nagant. I will claim my prize now...

19. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

It's referred to as 'auditory exclusion' as is part of the body's natural defense system.

While you can easily turn your iPod earphones up loud enough to hurt your ears you can just as easily fire a handgun inside a vehicle, never notice the sound and hear and understand all radio transmissions as if nothing had happened. The same thing happens when involved in a shooting situation indoors or out.

Since the defense mechanism kicks in during times of stress when surges of adrenalin are present it is a relatively short acting phenomena.

It is not uncommon to see artillery crews with their fingers in their ears while firing and not being fired upon. Throw in sappers coming through the wire and it's a different story. The body has amazing ways to protect itself.

Jack

20. tongix

tongix

Oct 10, 2009
    Use the 12 g with birdshots no 6, that be enough to scare off those dogs away.