Caliber selection for my favorite wife

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by curtis 41, Jan 13, 2013.

1. I shoot a 9 mm FS92 Inox, 45ACP Sig Sauer Equinox and 357 S&W 686 and a few others. Getting a Glock tomorrow at my wife's request. Down to either a G19 9 mm, G23 40 or G30 45ACP. She is concerned about the kick and wants papa to put a "nice red dot thingie" on it. :) I reload all my target ammo and some of my carry ammo. Can reload 9, 357/38SPL, 40, 45, 223 and 308, 375 H&H and others, so loading is no problem. Have not shot the short 3.8 inch barrel 45, nor the Glock 9. I am ordering me a G23 to complement my SIG for carry. My wife currently has two S&W short-barreled .38 pistols, one with the shrouded trigger and the other a regular trigger. She shoots okay, but feels 5 shots is not enough and wants a larger capacity magazine, Biden permitting. :) For those who have shot these a number of times, is there a preferred caliber you would suggest. My decision was a bit easier, big hole and lots of foot-pounds, 40, 45 andr 10. Suggestions welcomed. Plan to get the pistol tomorrow, or more likely, stand in line like everyone else and take my firstborn to pay for it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Well we may be saying so much for bullet selection as it relates to caliber General Firearms Forum Dec 22, 2012
    Caliber/load selection for hunting Hunting, Fishing & Camping Aug 27, 2004
    Many calibers from 1? Glock 29 turns into............ General Glocking Monday at 7:23 PM
    G22.....questions about caliber conversion to 9mm and .357Sig General Glocking Jul 9, 2015
    Army’s Hollow Point Ammo Switch Will (Or Should) End the Caliber Debate Caliber Corner Jul 9, 2015

3. Curtis41,

Get her the 9mm, Glock 19, it has the 4" barrel and the kick even with hot(er) hollow point rounds is nothing she couldn't handle. 15 +1 capacity is much more than a 6 shot revolver it that is another consideration.

If it is for CCW, perhaps the lighter 9mm, G26 with a 3.5" barrel - still hold 10 + 1, not too shabby.

In my opinion the .40 or .45 is just not the way to go.

#2 Kentguy, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  4. Angry Fist

Angry Fist *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Favorite wife? I thought one was more than enough! Ever think of renting? :supergrin:

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

:rofl:

6. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

G19 for sure.

7. Renting not a current option, but very high maintenance. :) It is is any consolation, my dad said we deserved each other. Thanks for the advice, will go with the G19 in either gen 3 or gen 4, based on availability. No cases or bullets here in stock, but just found a close dealer who just got in 200 boxes of 9 mm, many .223 and so forth. Never thought 9 mm was the best round to reload because of the low prices, but at $20 a pop for 50 rounds, reloading becomes much more attractive. I personally load 9 mm, but with the Glock, maybe an original load and one reload, or else use another, better supported barrel for the lower part of the case. It was nice to have some 13-round magazines, a 33-shot 9 and 22-shot .40 and a few others lying around. If our legislators keep it up, we may only see them in museums. Oh well, all that is no problem. I was one of those who lost all their guns in that tragic boating accident off the Marianas Trench. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I'd use 9mm 115gr JHP +p or even +p+.

9. I have been thinking the same thing. my wife has a .38 with CT grips. I'm thinking 26.

10. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

is good for small hands.

11. SCmasterblaster..."I'd use 9mm 115gr JHP +p or even +p+"
    Well... perhaps for you or me but for someones wife - I think a bit more toned down round so she can easily handle it shot after shot.

curtis 41, with self defense loads you should give her something she can control without a recoil that sends the pistol flying over her shoulder. Keep the Velocity no more than 1,100 fps or below either in 115g but I personally prefer 124g bullet.
    Speer Gold Dots
    Hornady XTP
    Winchester PDX
    Something like that.

#10 Kentguy, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  12. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor
    CLM

The easiest shooting round for the G19 is gonna be a 147 grain JHP. Preferably the HST.

13. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Sorry. I am so used to the recoil and blast, I think that is normal.

14. She has to be able to shoot it, so IMO, G19 w/ std pressure JHP all the way. That will give her the lowest recoil impulse. Grip dia is the same on a G26 as G19, but teh G19 being slightly longer in slide & grip will be easier to shoot.

#13 fredj338, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  15. Simple. Let her pick the caliber, etc... Let her shoot all types that you can. Many places rent $10 a gun and that's what I did with my Wife. Her pick was an XD-9 9mm 17 rounder and we tried a ton of pistols plus my own.

16. I agree with the 19 or 26 depending on size requirements. I use the standard pressure 124 gr gold dot in my new G26. It's a good load and very manageable. Really you can't go wrong with a gold dot of HST in either 124 grain or 147.

A small .40 or .45 will have some pop and probably not the best option for her.

17. G19 for sure, most love the size and low recoil.

18. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

That's right - the G19. Most all women can grip the gun with all four fingers.