close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Caliber for the woods!

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by RedRyder21, Jan 30, 2012.

1. RedRyder21

RedRyder21

Oct 26, 2004
    Ozarks
    Mr Ayoob,

Here in rural Missouri in the woods you could encounter feral dogs, feral hogs, and very rarely cougars. Nothing much bigger than those critter roam these parts. I hear how 9mm is better than it used to be with modern HP's. I also recently had a run it with a dog which had been abandoned and became very aggressive. I now understand when people say dogs have a very thick skull which bullets just slide off of. Suffice to say I have lost a little confidence in my favorite Glock 22 (with Gold Dot 165 grain) for woods walking. I really want to carry my Glock 19 since its a little more light weight and its the handgun I shoot the most accurately. I have a Glock 23, but with all the practice in the world I can't get the accuracy out of it I want.

I am also looking for an excuse to buy a Glock 21 or 30 for my big 'ol farm hands. Now I am leaning towards a Glock 30 since you speak highly of it.

If you were to come for a hike or to go fishing at the river with me, and you were limited to a Glock, what would you bring?

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    I'd worry more about hogs than dogs in terms of power level. Might want to turn the page in the Glock catalog and get a G20. If you don't reload, Buffalo Bore and CorBon and other boutique ammo houses have deep-driving 10mm Auto hunting loads that should work fine.

best,
    Mas