close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cal .40 S&W kaboom more rampant than other cal?

Discussion in 'The .40 S&W Club' started by jprj, Feb 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jprj

jprj

Aug 5, 2001
    Philippines
    Is this a true statement? What is the science behind? Wish to get a good explanation about it.

2. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Jul 20, 2002
    here and there...
    I've heard it over the years .... "blah blah blah unsupported chambers... blah blah reloads...blah blah..."

None of mine have kb'd using factory ammo. So I'm not worried..

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

3. Madmax1010

Madmax1010

Mar 19, 2009
    BS! You don't need to worry about that.
    Unless you reload heavy or something like that most are caused by ammo other then Factory.

4. jprj

jprj

Aug 5, 2001
    Philippines
    Thanks. Its nice to get good comments like these. :)

5. bruzer

bruzer

Apr 18, 2011
    Grants Pass, Oregon
  6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Bad ammo, either factory or reloads, will make any firearm ka-boom.

7. jprj

jprj

Aug 5, 2001
    Philippines
  8. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

For what it's worth, the 10mm Glocks have less supportive chambers than the .40's. .45 Glocks even worse. The 10mm brass bulges with barely anything above .40 cal level and I think most of the KB's are just because there are so many Glock .40's out there, and some ammo is out of spec and/or has be rechambered "hard" (dropping the slide on a round vs. "riding it home") so many times that bullet setback occurs, which drastically raises pressure.

9. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

I don't believe it's a problem using well made ammuniton. There is a lack of case support in the glock .40's, but it's OK as long as everything is "good". No overpressure ammo. No ammo that has been rechambered over and over again causing setback. Again, this is a concern with all ammo, but .40 is already on the ragged edge, so a little extra care wouldn't hurt. I have seen a couple of examples of a glock .40 going Kaboom, but in those insances I believe it was ammo related, not the fault of the gun itself.

10. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    Early Federal .40SW had thinner case walls, that's where most of the early KB problems came from. Federal later thickened their case walls and the problem went away.

Any KB stories you hear about these days are due to overpressure from defective ammo or reloads.

11. jprj

jprj

Aug 5, 2001
    Philippines
    Any specs that we may use as reference in identifying good case/shells? e.g. thickness must be ___ mm

12. jprj

jprj

Aug 5, 2001
    Philippines
    In addition, any max power on the rounds specs such as velocity or whatever?

13. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Sep 30, 2006
    A friend of mine had a few case head separations over 2-3 months period, in both a Glock 35 and an M&P40; when I questioned him on how this was possible, he finally admitted that the brass used in the reloads had been reloaded perhaps 20 times. Let us assume that brass life with Major PF loads might be something less than 20 reloads?

Com 45acp likes this.
  14. rcd567

rcd567

Feb 5, 2011
    Near Glenwood, Iowa
    fingerless.jpg Hurts worse than hemroids when it does happen.

I'm just messing with you. I have no idea of the cause of the damage. Just go ogled Glock blow ups then went to images. This was there.

15. smokey45

smokey45

Aug 23, 2004
    Central Time Zone

16. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Oct 12, 1999
    Parts Unknown
    I have been a .40 Smith and Wesson fan since 1993. Back in the day there were clearly issues. Ammo construction and chamber support were usually the culprits. Those problems have been addressed and we have moved on. The Glock Gen. 4 series, Sigs, HK's and Smith and Wesson M&P's are great platforms for this excellent self defense round.

smokey45 likes this.