close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cadet quits, cites overt religion at West Point

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Smacktard, Dec 6, 2012.

1. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    How typical, the secular ones think of themselves.

"I've never had that even be a problem with those of us who are secular."

Really? Really? Why don't you stop and think for a second about how those who aren't secular might feel? Hmm?

The comment by that student shows exactly how rampant religion is in the military, and how little thought is given to the thoughts and feelings of soldiers who aren't religious.

2. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    This is a big problem in the Air Force too. I have a stepbrother who made a last second switch to the Navy over it. They started in with him in the recruiting phase.

3. Japle

Japle John, Viera, Fl

Feb 26, 2000
    Viera, Florida
    I found it to be a bigger problem in the Army than the Air Force. In the Army, they expect you to be not just religious, but Christian. The chaplains hand out copies of the NT left and right, but getting a copy of the OT is tough. When you do get one, it’s marked, “For Jewish Personnel in the Armed Forces of the United States”. I have my copy sitting on my desk. It took months of bugging my Regiment chaplain before he came up with it.

Every formal formation started with a Christian prayer. I always took abuse because I wouldn’t bow my head. I’m no hypocrite. I didn’t want to appear to be praying. I held my head up and kept my eyes open.

In the Air Force, there was a lot of praying, too, but no one gave you grief for not participating. Maybe the fact that I was an enlisted man in the Army and an officer in the Air Force made a difference.

BTW, in the space for “religious preference”, my dog tags were stamped “BUD”. I found out early that it was the abbreviation for Buddhist, but I told everyone it stood for “Budweiser”.

4. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    The US Army will be better off without him.

5. PaulMason

PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    'A cadet quitting West Point less than six months before graduation'

There is more to the story ...

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
  7. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas

Yes, there's probably A LOT MORE we're not being told.

Nobody quits that close to graduation, he was probably offered a way out by quitting and just leaving rather than face the music for whatever it is that he did.

And now he needs a scape goat for his failure, so he blames religion. How typical.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  8. Sarge1400

Sarge1400

Jan 15, 2003
    Nebraska
    Way to reach a conclusion without having any facts, bet you're a whiz at 'Clue'.

JB: "It was Captain Ketchup in the 7-Eleven with a blood sausage."
    Opponent: That character, location, and weapon don't exist in this game."
    JB: "I don't care. I believe it was Captain Ketchup in the 7-Eleven with a blood sausage. So there."

9. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    The world doesn't need good atheists getting shot.

10. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    Oh now that's funny. :animlol:

11. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    Why are the Christians the only ones that get to have convictions? Why couldn't he just have gotten sick of it all and needed to get out. I'm pretty sure you'd have done the same thing if you were in an environment where atheists were harping on you all day for not seeing things the same way you do. You can't even handle this forum and you can come and go as you please.

12. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    There are no atheists in foxholes, because they always test out of infantry. :rofl:

13. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
    Can you hold your indignation long enough to look up the definition of secular?

14. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    Actually I think it's funnier when the religious nuts think I'm an idiot, and was trying to bait them. :tongueout:

15. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas

Actually I think it's funnier when the heathen atheist nuts think I'm an idiot, and was trying to bait them. :tongueout:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  16. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    He had less than six months before graduation and earning a four year college degree. He'd put up with it for over 3 1/2 years. He couldn't do six more months?

He could have easily done the remaining time. NOBODY just gives up that close to a college degree, no matter what the hardships are.

He either quit for a different reason or was asked to leave in lieu of being discharged for a cause. You can bank on it.

Now, he's all butt hurt and blaming religion.

17. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    And I'm sure you know this the same way you know I couldn't possibly have studied the bible the way I've claimed that I have. It runs contrary to your worldview to believe that your faith could be in error, so anything that runs contradictory to that must be dismissed without consideration to avoid confronting your own internal cognitive dissonance.

18. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    Now that sounds like a competition challenge. :wavey: