close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cabela's Double Duty Belt - 10 Months Later

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by VELO, Oct 24, 2011.

1. VELO

VELO
    Expand Collapse

Just a follow up review on this belt.

There was a sale on these belts early this year and they were recommended by a forum member in the same breath as the vaunted Beltman. They were cheap so I bought one in black and one in brown.

For some reason I haven't worn the brown one much, but the black one has seen alot of use. That leads me to this thread.

My first impression upon receiving these belts was that they were incredibly stiff and rugged and would definitely work well. I pulled out a Galco Combat Master (G-26) that I hadn't used in a while and remembered how much I liked using it with a great belt supporting it.

Most of the summer I've carried AIWB due to thinner golf shirts and shorts. Works well for me. Now that fall is here and more layers are going on, it's back to OWB at 3:30. I was very surprised how little support was left in my black Double Duty belt. It has softened considerably over the summer.

Just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind, I grabbed the brown one that is still virtually brand new. The difference was significant. Great support for the holster with the grip tucked in nice and tight to my side. In contrast, the black one left the grip hanging out away from my side quite a bit.

They *are* great looking belts and I'm not disappointed in them as far as holding my pants up. However, gun belts they are not.

There are countless belt threads on here so I thought I'd post up my experience with the Double Duty.

Have a great day! ---VELO

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 VELO, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Cap'n

Cap'n
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the update, Velo.

Think I'll be able to avoid those "good deals" now.

3. dosei

dosei
    Expand Collapse

This is why some of us try to be very vocal about single ply belts, they do not hold up as well over time as a properly made double thickness gun belt. The Cabela's Double Duty, the Amish belts, the Filson belt, the Carhart belt, the Dickies belts, the thick premium belt from the local western store...they are all overpriced belts because just one Aker B21 will outlast a box full of the single ply belts. One of the best belt recommendations I've come across was this:

No quality gun belt will ever be able to "pose" like this for a photo:

[​IMG]
    Belts like this are a waste of your hard earned money.

#3 dosei, Oct 24, 2011
  4. VELO

VELO
    Expand Collapse

Not disagreeing with you at all. However the Double Duty is not a single ply belt...hence its name. Even the one that I own that has softened up can't be posed like your example. When new it was incredibly stiff. It just hasn't held up the way I expected a double ply belt would.

That's why I posted what I did. You are correct that there is alot of bashing of single ply belts...and rightly so. I just didn't want somebody who heeds the warnings they might read here about them to go into Cabelas, see a Double Duty--double ply belt, and think that it'll hold up.

#4 VELO, Oct 24, 2011
  5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

:agree:

I've been one of those vocal ones, about that belt, for that exact reason.

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Interesting. I've got two of them and I'm the one who posted about them.

Still working fine for me. One mostly hangs in the closet and I got it for when I wear the other one out.

They're still about the same stiffness. I still wear the one daily with a full size steel 1911 or a Sig 245, neither of which could be said are small or lightweight guns. Not an issue and softening isn't happening for me. Dunno what's different but apparently it is.

I'm usually amused at people who go by ad pictures and declare a belt worthless because of the ad picture. That's like believing a Volvo can fly because you saw a commercial with one in the clouds.

7. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent
    Expand Collapse
    Rude Member

If a belt will roll up like the one pictured above, it will hold your britches up but will do a horrible job supporting a gun.

8. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

I haven't noticed a difference in mine.It's been about five months for me.This was my first decent belt.I liked it so much I wear it 95% of the time,even at work(where I can't carry)One big thing I noticed immediately was how you don't have to have the belt nearly as tight to hold your pants/gun up to the same level as a lesser belt that is much tighter because of the rigidity.Most of my workbelts only last about a year but even the finish of this one still looks good so far.

#8 Walk Soft, Oct 24, 2011
  9. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout
    Expand Collapse
    Behind you!

I've had the same experience Herr. I bought one last winter back in early Feb. Been using it ever since. Carried a G19, CZ75 and a fullsized Beretta 92. It still works great. And is as stiff as when I bought it. It's gone through some rough use as well and it has held up very well.

10. sourdough44

sourdough44
    Expand Collapse

I saw that Cabelas belt sale when it was going on. I had recently bought a Filson 'double belt'. The Filson is holding up well.

11. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

I love that belt! It lasted me 5 years before I had to replace it. Well worth the money.

Edit:

Oh, for all those "But, but, but the picture!!! " types. I'd love to see anyone do this with the filson. It's not going to happen, even after 5 years of softening

[​IMG]

#11 HerrGlock, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  12. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

Wilderness for me. Spec ops works great also. Lifetime warranty.

13. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent
    Expand Collapse
    Rude Member

HerrGlock, which one is a better belt, the Cabelas Double or the Filson Double?

Reason I ask, I've undergrew my spendy CompTac gunbelt(lost so much weight I've punched new holes up to the kydex stiffener) and I don't wanna spend another $100 on a belt that I'll undergrow in less than a year. I need some less expensive alternatives while I'm working my way down to my fightin' weight.

Maybe I should just buy a couple of Wilderness 5stitch easy fits, one in my current size, one in the next size down, instead of cheap leather.

14. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

I'm currently wearing a comptac belt with the Kydex reinforcement and it works great. My next one is going to be from Beltman though.

15. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

I got the Cabelas when they were on sale for $35 or whatever it was. I've found the Filson for $60 if you look long enough. Either one of those are fine. I would find the one I could find cheapest and be happy.

One thing to consider, the Filson is a THICK belt. It's two full slabs of bridle leather and I've found a lot of belt clips (cell phones and whatnot) don't fit on it all that well. Might want to take that into account if you wear such things.

I've also got a Beltman that I would recommend in a minute as well. But that's right back up in the hundred range.

16. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent
    Expand Collapse
    Rude Member

My CompTac is that way, two layers of thick leather and a kydex stiffener in between. I've had to lightly sand holster slots in order to get the belt to feed through them.

17. VELO

VELO
    Expand Collapse

Hey HerrGlock. Thanks for checking in on this thread. I didn't want to name names in my original post. But since you're here.....

I have to admit that I'm surprised by my experience with this belt. It has softened to the point where I *could* pose it like the Filson picture above. The brown one that I haven't worn as much is much too stiff to do that. As you (and all other "gun belt" guys) already know what's even more important is the lateral stability; and the one I have really has none left. If I hold it at either end I can easily put four twists in it. Again, no way am I doing that with the brown one.

Maybe I just got a bad one. I'll start wearing the brown one more now that fall is here so I'll be interested to see if I get the same results.

Would you still put your recommendation of this as equal to, or nearly so, to the Beltman? I ask because maybe my expectations are too high. ---VELO

#17 VELO, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  18. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

I'm surprised. I honestly am.

No, I'm the one who suggested these and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm wearing the belt I bought when I first suggested these. I can wind it to about 15" or 20" cylinder before I feel real resistance. I believe I could get it close to that pic but I would have to damage the belt to do it. With my Filson for the first couple years I would have had to soak it in water and then roll it like that pic. I've got a Sig 245 on this Cabela's belt right now as well. The Sig has a habit of showing me what belts are not worth a damn and it's still not sagging on mine.

My Beltman is just about the same feel as this Cabela's belt. It's got the same curve now as well. It might be a bit stiffer to fold but not a whole hell of a lot. Yeah, I switch out for work as well as for relaxed wear.

The Beltman is a slightly better belt for long term but it's also over 3 times what I paid for the Cabela's.

Dunno. Then again I might not work mine as much as other people might, humidity, etc. Or the quality control of Cabela's isn't on par with Beltman (quite possible) and the variation is a whole lot greater in regards to quality per belt and I got one of the three better ones they made. Dunno.

Still and all well worth the money.

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Oh this is FUNNY! Apparently I had the two mixed up. The Beltman belt is the one with the horseshoe buckle and the Cabela's belt is the one with the oval buckle that the tab goes through twice.

That means the Beltman belt is slightly softer than the Cabela's belt after trading off daily wear.

Yeah, I still stand by that I cannot really tell a difference and that they both are going pretty strong compared to each other after about a year.

20. VELO

VELO
    Expand Collapse

That *is* funny.

Let me ask you this. If you were to hang either one of those belts on a door knob, how far would they bend?

The black one I'm whining about pretty much touches at the ends.