Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

CA CCW Listed Firearms

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ElDub, Aug 5, 2012.

  1. ElDub


    Jul 14, 2011
    El Dorado County, CA
    I have my G27 & G23 listed on my CCW permit. These are of course listed by serial number. Sometimes I use a 9mm conversion in my G23. Since the 9 barrel does not have a serial number, is my G23 technically not the same gun on the permit? Just trying to avoid any problems. Thanks.
  2. DaneA


    Mar 7, 2011
    My .02c is worth just that. But firearms serial numbers are based on frame. So it doesn't matter what barrel is in it as long as you don't change the frame number. Basically when you bought the 23 you registered the frame not the barrel, slide, trigger or any other part.

  3. Landric

    Landric Supervisor?

    Technically speaking the frame is the firearm, a matching serial number on the slide, barrel, or any other part is meaningless, legally speaking. However, if your handgun is listed as being a .40 S&W on your permit, then I wouldn't carry it with the 9mm barrel. Doing so could be seen as a violation in California, depending on exactly what the law says.
  4. IndyGunFreak


    Jan 26, 2001
    I agree... It's hard enough to get a CA CCW in some areas, I wouldn't risk losing your permit (or worse) because some politician thinks you're abusing a technicality.

    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  5. This is how I view it in NY too.

    Caliber is listed on the permit, so I'd get that caliber listed :)
  6. harrygunner


    Sep 4, 2010
    The fine state of California will have you qualify for both calibers and require both to be listed on your permit.

    BTW, no state requirement to limit the number of calibers on the permit to three. Your county is not likely to give you grief about adding the 9mm conversion.
  7. Psychman

    Psychman NRA Life Member

    Mar 23, 2009
    How did you get a permit in California?!!

    I am jealous.
  8. Toyman


    May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    Oh great, now you've started the whole "barrel loophole" argument. :)
  9. CA Escapee

    CA Escapee Finally!

    Feb 15, 2012
    Believe it or not, most county's in California "may issue." In the bigger metropolitan county's, (LA, SF,) forget it.

  10. Glock_9mm


    Jul 10, 2012
    Generally speaking, it is harder to obtain a ccw in the coastal, more highly populated counties. Move inwards and many of the counties are shall issue.
  11. Merkavaboy

    Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

    Apparently you haven't looked at your CA permit recently. The permit identifies your carry guns by Serial#, caliber, make and model.

    It's a mighty poor decision to modify your carry guns in any way including a change in caliber.

    If you use your .40 converted pistol in 9mm in El Dorado Co., there may be no ramifications. But will it fly in the liberal anti-gun counties in the Gay Area or So.Cal? I wouldn't bet my my freedoms on it.

    Way to easy for any Prosecutor or plaintiff's Atty to accuse you of being an "asassian" looking for a poor minority victim to murder with a different caliber weapon and then get rid of evidence of the crime by disposing of said "asassin's" barrel and changing back to your standard .40 barrel.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  12. Quiet

    Quiet Casino Goon

    Contact your issuing agency.

    This issue has been brought up and each issuing agency handles it different.

    Some will not allow you to carry the handgun in another caliber.

    Some will list the handgun with the additional caliber.

    You need to contact your issuing agency prior to carrying it in the other caliber.
  13. Cali-Glock

    Cali-Glock Mountain Man

    Feb 11, 2002
    California Sierra Mnts
    I am considering trying to change the caliber to "multi" on at least one of the pistols on my permit the next time I make a change to my permit.
  14. miwall


    Mar 15, 2003
    Call the office that issued the permit. I think they would know better than us.