close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

bye bye windows (pic)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sandboy6184, Aug 9, 2004.

1. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Billings, Montana
    I'm kinda starting to get into linux. Now that I finally have a spare computer to install it on (as if 4 wasnt enough already ;g)

2. sandboy6184

sandboy6184

Feb 25, 2004
    linux sucks, try freebsd! www.freebsd.org

"gadash" is what my friedns son calls me, i duno why.

If you are new, and want to learn, try freebsd(which is what the pic is). If you dont have time to learn but want an alternative, get SuSE Linux or Mandrake Linux.

3. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Billings, Montana
    I've been fooling around with Knoppix for the last few years.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    It does? Strange that I've got a production server set running something that sucks.

It's a bit cute to knock other OSs. I'm not exactly a WIN lover, true. Every system has it's ups and downs.

Want a desktop and don't want to learn computer stuff? WIN
    Want a desktop that is stable and don't mind learning something about them? Linux
    Want a desktop that is stable and don't mind learning a bit more? BSD

Want a server? Gee, your options are wide open. Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, another BSD, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, TRU-64. Pick your poison.

You want a database that is bulletproof? HP-UX and Oracle.

You would think that I wouldn't use something that sucks. Interesting that it meets all my needs for a desktop. Redhat/Fedora Linux.

DanH

5. Ditto that. . .I've got a dedicated RedHat server, but no desktop Linux box. I reload everything once every 8 months or so, so maybe I will put Linux on my main machine rather than reinstall XP. . .

6. sandboy6184

sandboy6184

Feb 25, 2004
    I was waiting for your reply haha. Let me set my view right, I cant stand most linux users, example. " I run linux im a h4x0r" or "Microsoft must die, they are the enemy, you use windows? hahaha your a lamer" And as for the distros....I didnt mind SuSE, slax and knoppix are great for diagnosing problems.

7. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    You’re both full of beans! The last real OS was CP/M. ^9

8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    OS400, Cray are two that I kinda liked ;f

DanH

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Don't worry about it. I was more blowing off the Linux comments as I tend to agree with you that some of the people running it are a bit -er- pretentious. That's okay too. They always end up in conversations out of their depth and realize how much they have to learn. Just as I do.

If it weren't for posers, we wouldn't have as many people even start in computers, then we wouldn't have the broad span of backgrounds brought to the table. They have their place as well. Amusement, if nothing else.

I'm a hacker. I'm actually kinda proud of that. Doesn't mean I'm any good, just that I like to do it.

DanH

10. Tennessee Slim

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    I've never yet met the operating system I couldn't learn to hate, given enough time. Some are just faster-acting than others. ;)

11. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Play with trusted Solaris. The better you are with computers, the less time it takes to hate it.

DII Coe takes that cake, though. OH MY GOD do I hate DII COE.

DanH

12. Tennessee Slim

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    I’ve not had the pleasure. Is it worse than the Burroughs Twenty on the POS computer they wanted the PACs to use when deployed?

My low water mark -- so far -- is Motorola UNIX.

13. sandboy6184

sandboy6184

Feb 25, 2004
    I need IRIX for this sgi o2 workstation I got here :/

14. physicsdevil

physicsdevil

Jan 25, 2000
    California
    Here's what I've been playing with at work lately:

http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

"... this product is forked from the source code for Red Hat's _Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3_ product under the terms and conditions of it's EULA."

Free RHEL...sort of.

15. physicsdevil

physicsdevil

Jan 25, 2000
    California
    Oh yeah...and Windows isn't going away until we can play more than Solitaire and Lemonade Stand under Linux...well...you get my point.

16. sandboy6184

sandboy6184

Feb 25, 2004
    Does warcraft 3 one of the most popular games out ring a bell? What about counter strike?;z
    [​IMG]

17. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

Mar 19, 1999
    Woodbridge, VA
    Oh yeah?!?! Well I run Linux and FreeBSD Sucks, and so does Suse as well as WindOZE... Hey... Linux has a PENGUIN for God's Sake... that means it's COOL!!!!

Kidding, of course... although I do run my own web server, DNS and email server on a linux box... Red Hat is just as free as BSD, and easier to install for me at least!!

Hey, Unix of any flavor is still Unix... and a good thing!