Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Buying a New House

Discussion in 'GATE Survival & Preparedness' started by Short Bus, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Short Bus

Short Bus

Jan 11, 2008
    Western NC
    Well, the time has come where I am looking for a new place to lay my head. I have been looking at hundreds and I have a good idea of what I want, but I want to put a S&P spin on it.

What would you want in a new house or what type of things would you look for?
  2. JC Refuge

JC Refuge

Oct 8, 2007
    Well, there's a lot you can do to fortify most any home. So whether you plan to find a home with some of the right things already in place or if you plan to renovate and upgrade, there are some things that do need to be considered in the initial property parameters ...

I personally would look for a place that is at least somewhat rural. If you need to commute to an urban location, you don't want to have to make your commute too far, for a lot of different reasons--but at least try to get beyond the suburban ring.

I'd want a little (or a lot of) acreage--with a mix of tillable, open land and wooded. High ground as well as a running surface water source on the property or nearby would be ideal.

A deep well is a big plus.

Determine what kind of neighborhood you are buying into and what if any zoning laws there are. Are there industrial properties in the vicinty? Rail lines? Pipelines?

How about crime rates? Is your neighborhood politically aligned with your own views?

I may be getting a bit picky here so I'll dial it back down.

What I know I want, regardless of where I am, is a shelter/saferoom, my own secure water source, and back-up power generation, as well as at least some room to grow food. If you can get that squared away and eventually meld into your community, getting to know your neighbors, you should be in pretty good shape.
    nursetim likes this.

3. CRozek

Jun 12, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    What is S&P?

How about crime rates? Is your neighborhood politically aligned with your own views?

Regaurding this, check with local PD and ask how often they patrol or how frequently they are called out to the area.
  4. Regaurding this, check with local PD and ask how often they patrol or how frequently they are called out to the area.[/QUOTE]

S&P is survival and preparedness. Good idea about checking with the local PD for activity in the area. First thought was any burglaries but Even if the area has frequent call outs for domestic incidents tells you about the type of resident in the area.
  5. BBMW

Dec 3, 2005
    I would look at what specific types of disasters both the general area, and the particular location might be prone to, the probability of those disasters actually happening, and how the property would be in a position to deal with them. Is it prone to flooding, fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.? Is there any type of industrial plants nearby or upwind that could have failures that would effect the property. How defensible is the property in the case of civil disturbance? What kind of resources does the property have (think water)?

That's just off the top of my head.
  6. USMC_G19

USMC_G19 Ham Salad

Dec 13, 2005
    Northern VA
    You may also want to look into construction type. Newer stick homes, while energy efficient, are not extremely sturdy. Personally I would look for an ICF home if they build those in your area or even a block constructed house. Both styles are easily dressed up to look like a stick constructed house but offer way more protection from weather and two legged threats.
  7. Turn4811

Jan 31, 2014
    NE Atlanta
    I am currently looking as I have taken a job in a different state. I will be in the Charleston SC area and I got a copy of the recent flood maps and I am cross referencing it with the listings I am looking at. I would like to find a house with the wraparound porch with a great room design on the inside. I also want it to be out in the country and have enough land I can set up a range.

Every area is different as far as whether it is a buyers or sellers market. I have been in my current house a little over 20 years and it's currently a sellers market in Atlanta.
  8. ScaryWoody

Apr 16, 2005
    I live outside Atlanta. When my house was being built I asked the builder to make a small room in the basement between the outside of the house and the garage. I had them triple reinforce the steel in the cement for that portion. I stock it with water, food and forearms. It is my tornado shelter. Used it twice so far.
    MSW likes this.