close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bushmaster M4

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by DA_NINJA, Feb 14, 2008.

1. DA_NINJA

DA_NINJA
    Expand Collapse

I am thinking of buying a bushy M4, in this field, I have zero knowledge . Could any of you AR gurus kindly enlightened me which is better the 14.5" or the 16" barrel. What's the difference between the Hbar and LBar.
    Which do you guys prefer the A2 or the A3.
    Thanks in advance to any advice you'll chime in.
    And Oh, by the way , what's the best scope you'll recommend to get just in case that I'll go for the A3.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. bikethief

bikethief
    Expand Collapse
    itchy trigger

Hbar=heavy barrel, Lbar=light barrel. What would be your primary use for it? 14.5" is more than enough for most applications. Decent groups out to 250m. are achievable if your rifle is built correctly. Are you looking to shoot something farther away? This will also determine your choice of optics.

3. cebuboy

cebuboy
    Expand Collapse
    toy soldier

Get an LMT if you can, they make good guns IMHO. For all around use, an Aimpoint is my choice.

4. atmarcella

atmarcella
    Expand Collapse

what is an LMT? ty

5. TTPower

TTPower
    Expand Collapse

mga experts.... i have a dilema! i bought a quadrail handguard on-line. now the problem is the original delta ring and the end cap of my m16 is not compatible with the handguard. nag ikot na ko sa lahat ng gunstores wala sila makita na compatible sa handguard ko. they say that my handguard has a different specs.... (specs daw ng fobus).

these are my options....
    1) gunsmith (tony pascual) will file the front part of the handguard and install his own fabricated delta ring and end-cap. total cost P2700 (30 min. tapos na daw)

2) gunsmith (metrillo) will fabricate a delta ring and end-cap according tho the specs of the handguard. cost 1800 (3-4 days daw)

i'll try to post pics later.

6. TTPower

TTPower
    Expand Collapse

whats the difference between A2 and A3? also whats the difference between a heavy barrel and the light barrel in terms of their purpose? :)

wala rin ako masyado alam sa rifles e :)

7. DA_NINJA

DA_NINJA
    Expand Collapse

basically, this rifle would only see range time both indoor at the moment, since pulos yelo ang inabot namin dito sa illinois, then probably by summertime, outdoor range, and siguro by hunting seasons, gaya ng turkey and deer, it would probably see get its share of the games.

another question mga bossings... ano ba ang mas preferred or ang difference between light chromed line heavy barrel and chromed line heavy barrel. again, maraming salamat sa inyong mga sagot.

8. ess45

ess45
    Expand Collapse

LMT - Lewis Machine & Tool Co.
    Agree with Cebuboy on LMT. LMT barrels are better than Bushy. The differrence in price is probably around $100- 150 on the complete upper receiver (LMT on the expensive side).

Difference between A2 and A3

A2 Upper receiver
    [​IMG]

A3 Upper with detachable carry handle
    [​IMG]
    A3 Upper receiver with lower receiver
    [​IMG]

Lower receivers are basically the same except for the logos.

If you go 14.5, you would have to permanently pin the flash hider.

9. bulm540

bulm540
    Expand Collapse

If you get a 14.5 be sure to have the flash supressor permanently attached to make is legal if you are here in teh States. 16 is the minimum barrel lenght unless you want to pay teh $ 200 stamp for your M4 to be registered. For infos about ar go here www.AR15.com

10. Sweater

Sweater
    Expand Collapse

Bushmaster ,they make good M4 ,price is in the midrange , but if budget permit get an LMT ,but if you really want a Bushy get the gas piston.Sweater

11. andersmg

andersmg
    Expand Collapse

My take on the barrel length is if it must be 16" to be legal why give up any velocity you will lose from the shorter barrel? It has to have the flash suppressor on it and it will still be 16" in the US unless you pay the $200 and get the permit. That being the case I bought the 16" light barrelled AR myself.

Just my two cents worth...

12. ess45

ess45
    Expand Collapse

If you are planning to use it for hunting deer, get a least a 16" or 18" and a bigger caliber than 223/5.56 (eg. 6.8 SPC). I don't know about the hunting rules in your state, but some states don't allow 223/5.56 for deer hunting and besides it's inhumane.

13. atmarcella

atmarcella
    Expand Collapse

14. SARG

SARG
    Expand Collapse

15. isuzu

isuzu
    Expand Collapse

An A3 has a detachable handguard.

Da Ninja,

A heavy barrel supposedly dissipates heat better than the lightweight barrel, and minimizes vibration. In my experience, the heavy barrel makes the rifle feel nose heavy; unlike with the lightweight barrel that makes the rifle feel more "balanced." A chromelined barrel has a longer life and less maintenance than the non-chromelined ones.

You can also try to assemble a rifle by buying kits which would come out cheaper (around $600.00). You can try looking at www.model1sales.com. IMO, they have good value on rifle kits. Their dissipator model is a good compromise between a carbine and a full-length AR (and still benifitting from a full sight radius). www.atlanticfirearms.com has an Olympic Arms 16" carbine with fixed stock and A1 sights on sale at $589.00 http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=298

I would be very careful about using a .223/5.56mm in hunting deer. Check your state's hunting laws as to what minimum caliber to use for deer. IMO, a .243 is the minimum for hunting whitetails beyond 200 meters, and the ideal caliber for hunting whitetails within the 200 meter range is the 30-30. Hornady has introduced the LeveRevolution in 30-30, which extends the range of this caliber to the 300 meter range.

A cheap alternative to hunting deer is the SKS http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=3. The ballistics for the 7.62 x 39 is almost similar to the 30-30, and there are lots of cheap ammo for this rifle. Soft or hollow point ammo are the kind I would use for hunting deer. I'm also planning to hunt deer using a Norinco SKS. A friend of mine saved lots of money when he started hunting whitetails.

16. DA_NINJA

DA_NINJA
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to all the info--guys, you've all shed light to my dim knowledge about ARs, I might probably go for the 16" hbar chromed line bbl-a3.
    As, for the hunting laws of illinois and wisconsin, I'll have to check on that-- further more, the hunting part might be done in Wisconsin. And only if .223 rem is prohibited to be used in hunting, well that gives me another reason to buy another rifle (in permitted hunting caliber).

17. TTPower

TTPower
    Expand Collapse

here are the pics....
    [​IMG]
    front end of the handguard
    [​IMG]
    back end of the handguard
    [​IMG]

18. cebuboy

cebuboy
    Expand Collapse
    toy soldier

You need the round carbine handguard endcap fo that,Which I'm also looking for. :)

19. isuzu

isuzu
    Expand Collapse

Cebuboy,

Danao gunsmiths can make those handguard caps. My gunsmith in the Philippines, who comes from Danao, brought a mold when he visited his hometown. He just gets a sheet metal and hammers them into the mold to eventually shape it into a cap.

TTPower,

Some handguards have universal ends now.

20. cebuboy

cebuboy
    Expand Collapse
    toy soldier

hehehe my locally made endcap just cracked...