close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bushmaster Carbon 15

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Colt452zigzag28, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Colt452zigzag28

Colt452zigzag28

Mar 28, 2011
    VA
    I am somewhat new to the AR-15 world, however I am looking to get my first AR. The Carbon 15 is on sale everywhere the day after thanksgiving sale, ie Cabela's, Gander Mtn., for $600. Is that really a deal? And would it be a good rifle for patrol/3 gun comp? As my first one I want a decent rifle but one I can also try putting new parts on/customizing to make something that fits what I'm looking for. Thanks

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    They're on sale for a reason.......avoid them.

Look at Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Colt of course, LaRue, Noveske, a few others. The S&W M&P15 series for the money is also an excellent deal.

For a 'real world' use rifle these will hold up to severe usage.

For games and range time, most ARs will work. I would never shop at Gander Mountain or Cabelas for an AR.

3. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Im very happy with my Smith M&P15. I have had it for a few years now, and it has been 100%; even when I ran it dry thinking a spray of Remoil was enough lube. Im also extremely happy with my PSA dissy. BCM, Colt and other proven brands would make fine patrol rifles. That being said there are many people with thousands of rounds down their Bushmaster partol rifles. If I were a LE officer I would have an M1A socom 16 and or my scout squad but that is just me.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  5. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    The most positive attribute of the Carbon 15 rifles is their weight. They are 1-2 pounds lighter than comparably comfigured AR-15's and M-4's. If by "patrol" you mean foot patrol, the light weight may be a consideration. If by "Patrol" you mean a gun primarily borne by a vehicle, I'd go with a caliber heavier than .223. For 3 gun, I would advise a more robust rifle that would hold up better to high round counts and allow the shooter to better manage recoil for fast follow up shots.

6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida

...and the PSA is a massive upgrade in quality over the Carbon 15. Stay FAR away from the Carbon 15.

7. pag23

pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    If you are on a budget and you are comparing the Carbon 15 vs a PSA . Get the PSA as it is a good value for all the stated mil-spec parts you get with it. IMHO I like my Carbon 15, the updated ones are better than the first ones.

8. jobob

jobob

Apr 1, 2005
    Lewiston, Idaho
    I bought a Carbon 15 for my wife a few years ago. As far as I can tell it's an excellent weapon for the money. No, I wouldn't deploy to the sandbox with it, but it isn't a bad gun at all. Those who say to avoid it, don't know it.

9. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Some of us who say avoid it, mean avoid it.

I've got over 500 rounds through several Carbon 15s. I wouldn't take one for free.

#1, it's a Bushmaster.

#2, it's a Carbon 15 with known associated issues.

10. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    EDIT: I also say go with the Palmetto State. In the price range, nothing can touch it.

Pic from another site. Guy claims a 120 lb female cop fell on the rifle during training:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    If I remember correctly, several of the parts are proprietary, making repairs and upgrades harder.

12. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Somebody make an AR that won't break when one drops 120 pounds on it?

13. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    I remember in Marine SOI that we did "2 man assisted lift" using our rifles as the lifting platform. Essentially one guy grabs the stock, another grabs the barrel, the guy stands on the receiver/handguard section, and you lift them onto the roof of a small building. The rifles didn't break, and didn't really lose zero if I can remember.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I fell on a Colt traipsing through the woods of Ft Drum. It was a night movement w/ ruck w/ your typical training load out. I got tangled up on some underbrush and went down hard on top of the M4.

At the time I was roughly 170 w/ 40 pounds of gear.

I got up and continued on my way a little pissed off at myself for being clumsy.

15. MrMurphy

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I did a running faceplant on top of my M4 on top of concrete after tripping over a 'dead' guy in a nighttime training exercise.

185lb MrMurphy. 35lb of armor. 11lb of rifle (M203 attached). Approximately 20+lbs of equipment and grenades.

Didn't even scratch it.

16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Come on over to my house,......I'll let ya step on mine!

17. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Handy to know that they are so solid. I bent a gun barrel once by putting it behind the seat of a p/u and have tread upon them very lightly ever since.

18. pag23

pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Brief Carbon 15 review since I have one.

Pro: cost, very lightweight, chrome lined BCG, TRS-25 red dot (good value) extractor insert is blue with black o-ring. M4 feedramps with no alignment issues.

Con: thin barrel gets hot pretty quick, Buffer tube is Commercial not mil-spec, it doesn't like steel ammo. You will be itching to upgrade parts (buffer, spring, sight, etc). Unknown if bolt is mil-spec or not (not sure if Bushmaster labels them). Little more recoil felt than with aluminum built AR's.

Just my 2 cents...

19. jobob

jobob

Apr 1, 2005
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Well, your #1 is a pro: I have 3 Bushmasters, 4 including the C-15. All are excellent firearms. My 20" Vmatch is superbly accurate and all are very reliable.

Your #2 (as is #1) is non-specific and just appears to be personal prejudice spawned from reading too much internet commando spew.