Bushmaster carbon-15 any good?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MSims, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

He admitted that a group that he trained with had a Bushmaster for loan that doesn't malfunction, but somehow based on intrawebz report, Bushmasters are garbage.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Good luck with asking him to post his "credentials".:rofl:

3. JohnnyReb

Lifetime Member

I'm interested, just simply because the weight savings would be awesome.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I bought one of those Carbon 15s for my adopted dad a few years back just because of the weight saving. His shoulders are all jacked up and can't bear heavy weight any more, so the Carbon 15 was fine for him. It's not as though he was stormin' after Charlies back in 'Nam like he did back in the days.

What makes me laugh is all the commando joes buying their guns and dress those guns up with gadgets as though they're going to fight off Red Chinese Hordes or something.

5. JohnnyReb

Lifetime Member

I try to keep things as light as possible. Which is why I went with the Colt 6720 vs 6920.

#45 JohnnyReb, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  6. Although I wouldn't buy another one, I don't like the "soft plastic like receiver", my Carbon 15 Bushmaster pistol has performed fine.

But, the rounds I've put through it munbers in the hundreds, not in the thousands. So I don't know how it would hold up in the long haul.

[​IMG]

Most of the ladies I teach to shoot, I'll take through the AR.
    Without fail, all the ladies (and men to) like the AR (Bushmaster).

A very dangerous person, a pissed off woman with a AR. :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. For a .223 pistol I favor the Kel Tec PLR.
    Cheaper than the AR and out out preforms the Carbon 15 in every way. (that's why I don't shoot the Bushmaster much)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I add whatever junk that will help do the job.

For instance, on the HD rifles,
    a Red Dot for daylight and a Streamlight TLR-2 laser/light for dark.
    My immediate HD area covers about 50 yards, so such an equipped AR (Bushmaster) pretty much covers all bases.

[​IMG]

9. Cover my ass? Funny. I don't speak on things I don't have ample experience with. I was trying to avoid the typical storm when trying to discuss things with people who tend to hear what they want to or whatever fits their needs/argument. Like you continue to do.

I'm starting to think RJs Guns may be a business name and you have BMs sitting on a shelf for sale. Am I correct?

Ask fn to retell his fake "combat" stories.

I am happy you 2 have had a good experience w/ your BMs. Like I mentioned we have had a flawless experience w/ a loaner BM in classes.

I have experienced many different makes and have also experienced many failures. Most from Olys but a fair share from BMs and others. Mechanical devices will fail, some more than others. I was lucky enough and diligent enough that research lead me away from BM. A person doesn't need to purchase and subsequently suffer in order to know good from bad. And now that I have been around the amount of shooting I have my personal experiences have backed my research. Sitting through classes waiting on Olys, Stags, homemade, and BMs to come back online gets old.

It's nice that you take the time to help these ladies shoot. I would however rethink the way I have those firearms set up if labeling them HD guns. I'm sure they look at you as a person who knows what they're are talking about and may copy your set-up.

10. Merlin40

Merlin40 Merlin40

I own and operate a Bushmaster Carbon-15, and have put about 1500 rounds thru it. It performed flawlessly. This is not a weapon that would probably stand up to a sustained rate of fire over a long period, due to the configuration, IMHO. But then, I'm not in a "combat" situation. I'd trust my life with it, as I do my Glock 23.

12. It really isn't your fault. Things change and our experiences loose weight. The quality spectrum has shifted in the past couple/few years. When we're out of the loop we get left behind. I'm just lucky enough that firearms are a big part of my employment. I'm able to stay in the loop. I'm able to experience all types and manufacturers of firearms.

I'm sure you know BM was purchased by Freedom Group who changed the brand. Like all big corp. quality took a backseat to profit. This is evident by the shift in customer feedback and performance on the range.

I imagine you have pre big corp. BMs.

Edit: Again I'm happy you're happy w/ your BMs. I recommend getting them out of the safe and attending a Defensive Carbine course of some sort. You'll enjoy it and get to know your firearm more intimately.

#52 mjkeat, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  13. I think id pass to be honest.

14. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Same here.

The prices are coming down all the time. I prefer all metal when it comes to AR's.

I too have heard of several of the poly lowers cracking and witnessed one case personally. Bushmaster made things right with it but seeing it was enough to make me never want one.

(It makes me wonder how well the SCAR will hold up. :whistling:)

15. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I still say "no" to a Bushmaster Carbon 15.

And yes, I owned one.

Sold it.

16. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I've owned and currently own several Bushmasters along with other AR-15's from several manufactures.

I've used the Bushmaster rifles in several tactical style classes. I've run them rather hard, I've gotten them very hot, and have done my share of mistreating them.

I've never had one major failure in any Bushmaster. I've had some minor issues but none of which I haven't experienced with the other AR's including Colt.

To say Bushmaster rifles are garbage 99% of the time is garbage in itself.

Bushmaster makes good rifle. They aren't top tier but they aren't bad either.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

What quality spectrum had shifted? You touted the Colt as one of the "better" ones. Guess what? Most of Colt civilian models used more or less mil-spec parts and pieces. Last I checked, mil-spec for M16A2 and M4/M4A1 hadn't changed in probably twenty years. So, if Colt were to build their products to specs that are twenty-years-old...exactly what spectrum had shifted?

Now, if you're talking about LaRue or Noveske, or some of the other boutique guns, then I agree that the quality spectrum had shifted for those guns.

18. Curiuos what loss of velocity is there and is there an ammo that is better for a short barrel?

Just guess a loss of 100fps/inch loss and fast burning power would work better.

Oh yeah, what's recoil compared to a 44 mag?

19. Can't attest to the recoil on the PLR pistol (although it should be pretty mild), but 5.56 does lose a lot of velocity from the shorter barrels. I have an AR-15 SBR with a 10.5" barrel, and it should be producing around 2650-2700 FPS with 55 grain XM193 ammunition.

There is definitely ammunition available that will work quite well from that short of a barrel - anything with a Barnes TSX bullet, Federal Fusion, Speer Gold Dot, and most other quality soft points will work well, with bonded soft points being preferred if you need something barrier blind (ie: shooting through windshield glass or car bodies). With the short barrel, though, you definitely want to go for true 5.56 loads whenever possible to get the most velocity out of it.

20. Perspective plays a big role in these things.

I thought we all were aware of the change in BM ownership.