close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bushmaster carbon-15 any good?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MSims, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSims

MSims

Jun 19, 2012
    Im new to Ar-15... Been a handgun guy all my life but now want to get into rifles... A store is selling Bushmaster Carbon 15 for $849.99... Is the price decent and what are the good and cons... Plus only thing that i didnt really like is you can put regular sights on it you have to put a red dot...

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I've heard of too many problems with them to take the chance. Now isn't a very good time to buy an AR anyway, prices are sky high.

3. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Jun 23, 2006
    Houston
    For a casual shooter it may be ok, but I'd spend a few hundred more and get a "real" AR. They're out there, and getting more plentiful and reasonably priced by the day.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    None of the ones I've seen have been good. Lots of issues including cracked receivers.

5. MSims

MSims

Jun 19, 2012
    So whats a real Ar for a decent price and how much

6. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    I would absolutely NOT pay $850 for a Bushmaster.

You can get higher quality AR's for the same amount, or a little bit more.

Do some searches and some reading here and in GT's black rifle subforum, as well as on www.m4carbine.net and, yes, even www.ar15.com

Believe me, there is far more out there...readily accessible...just waiting to be read than you could ever possibly imagine, and one piddly little thread here isn't going to hold a candle to all the other info that is out there

7. donmor53

donmor53

Jan 4, 2013
    BZZZZZZT! BZZZZZZZT!

Carbon ARs get the buzzer....

BZZZZZZT! BZZZZZZZT!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  8. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010
    I have had no problems with the one that I own. I like the fact that it is light weight and reasonably accurate.

RJ

9. copo9560

copo9560

Feb 21, 2012

Colt LE6920 - $1,097 at Walmart. Not easy to find but if you are persistent you might find one.

10. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    That would be a great way to go, I think.

If you are insistent upon the ~$850 price point dig around until you can get a S&W M&P 15 for about that price.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Can't beat it, especially right now!

12. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Leave it lay and continue on your way. BM is garbage 99% of the time and a carbon version is, well, worse.

I will say the group I train w/ has a BM they loan out. It has never had an issue that I've witnessed. I'm counting this as the 1%. We joke about it after every class.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    I've had the pistol for a long time but I wouldn't buy a Carbon 15 rifle.

14. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Doh ?
    I would pass on the Carbon-15 unless it was cheap enough to replace the upper receiver and still be below you price point.

I don't know of any lower receiver failures, but there is lots of information about failures of upper receivers.

With than being said, I've recently seen a Bushmaster carbine for $699 with aluminum upper and lower. (Sportmans in S'haven, MS).

I've also seen a Colt 6920 at Walmart for $1069 (S'haven, MS).

Of the two, I'd go with the Colt. I have had some experience with early Bushmaster rifles (pre-1990) and they were/are good rifles. Ownership has changed over the years - and they get pooh-pooh'ed a lot around here - I'm not sure of the quality of the current manufacture.

DPMS has been pooh-pooh'ed as well. I've put together a couple of rifles with DPMS parts, and sighted in a couple more of DPMS rifles. At their price point they seemed to be pretty good. They were all less than 2 MOA, and one was just over 1 MOA @ 100 yds. They've been criticized for their gas key staking - but all of the one's I've seen were staked correctly. The only questionable staking on a gas key I've personally seen was on a Larue - so go figure.

15. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010

Do you have any first hand personal experience with Bushmaster rifles, and particularly the Carbon 15 models, to back-up your statement that “BM is garbage 99% of the time and a carbon version is, well,worse.” Have you ever personally owned a Bushmaster rifle that has malfunctioned or even witnessed a Bushmaster rifle malfunction?

RJ

16. Adamz04

Adamz04

Mar 28, 2012
    Indiana
    I owned one for a year or so and it functioned as it should I had no problems with it and it was pretty accurate. It was super light almost felt like a toy. That being said it was pretty cheap and left me wanting a "real rifle". Needless to say I sold it and now I have a spikes tactical rifle and the quality difference is huge. I only paid 649$ for my carbon 15. If I could do it over again I would have waited for a better gun.

17. Strizzi

Strizzi

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    My boss/shooting buddy owned one and last summer he shot over 1000 rounds of various ammo from tulammo, federal, pmc, and others. His shot flawlessly and ate anything. I've heard they are hit or miss but I bought a little better ar and neither of us even had a hiccup. Good luck!

18. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    My Dad bought one this past year. I tried my best to talk him out of it, to no avail.
    However. Since its purchase we have run 2000 rounds through it without a hitch.

The downside is that only Lancer magazines will drop free, and the trigger is gritty as hell.

19. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010
    Did you own a Bushmaster rifle that developed a "cracked" receiver?

Did you personally see a Bushmaster rifle with a cracked receiver? If so, how many Bushmaster rifles, with "cracked receivers," did you personally observe?

RJ

20. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Sounds like someone has a soft spot for BM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.