close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bush Threatens Veto Over GI Bill Adds

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Blitzer, May 2, 2008.

1. Sir Richard Cranium strikes again! :rant: :moonie: :steamed:

2. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    i'd rather give it to vets than prisoners. i'd rather give it to people out of work than war profiteers. i don't want to give it to halliburton, blackwater, or general dynamics. i'm fine with giving it to working people and wounded people.

it's not like it's real money till they print it. why give it to rich guys?

3. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    Big potential problems here.

It sounds like the increased veterans benefits may be a smokescreen for the democrats to cripple the war effort.

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Yup. The flashy sword swinging around in front, while the dagger goes in the back.

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Oct 27, 2003
    Renegade State
    :thumbsup: PRESTO! nothing up my sleeve...

Call me a bit jaded, but absent an election year with an unpopular incumbent, they'd (Dems) be fighting the operational funding on its merits IF they felt like it. Veterans for them have temporarily replaced "it's for the children."
    :upeyes:

you & PK be safe out there.
    :patriot:

6. bfg1971

bfg1971

Apr 19, 2003
    Ewa Beach, HI
    I really can't imagine how nice it would be for my GI Bill benefits to double, but if it is tying the hands of our active duty soldiers in getting what they need then VETO away.

7. BattletweeteR

BattletweeteR dude and stuff

Oct 17, 2005
    houston texas
    same here, my GI expired april 2008, it would be nice to have another 5 years so i can get more college knocked out, but.... i think the GI bill will come up again, so i will wait.

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

The usual Democrats in name only are using this for a political tool to their own ends, aren't they?

9. ssf467

ssf467

Jun 10, 2008
    I think every on to include Vets, need to get our hands out of the kitty. Our Country has turned Vets farmers and business into relaying on them. I know we think we deserve it. I think some of the injuried do. Think of those who served prior to the end of WWII who received nothing but the fruit of their labor, freedom.
    We need less Federal Spending and power not more.

10. bfg1971

bfg1971

Apr 19, 2003
    Ewa Beach, HI
    My high school english teacher Debra Head actually named her son Richard. I think she had done a few too many drugs in the 60's.

11. bfg1971

bfg1971

Apr 19, 2003
    Ewa Beach, HI
    Bill was signed today. VA website has details of new plan on it WWW.VA.gov
    currently 1 july 08 an internal link available on the home page. Should double the benefits.

It looks like they will pay all tuition and fees directly to school and BAH E-5 w/ dependents rate to student monthly + $1000 each year for books and supplies.

12. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    Do you have a direct link to the page? I can't find it.

I'm curious as to whether this does anything at all for reservists. The media has only mentioned active-duty.

Edit: nevermind, here's a page about changes to REAP: https://www.gibill.va.gov/NDAA2008.html

REAP benefits now max out at 80% of what active-duty soldiers get, after 3 years of cumulative title 30 orders OR 2 years continuous (previously, all the counted was the length of your longest deployment). Initial training, regular drill, annual training, and state deployments don't count towards the total, only federal activations (for overseas deployment, schools, etc.)

One tour in Iraq (18 months) puts me at 60% of what active-duty gets paid. A second tour (12 months) and I'll still be at 60%. After a THIRD tour, I'll be at 80% of what active-duty soldiers get. But, as soon as I leave the Guard, I lose all remaining benefits.

I guess our benefits should increase at the same proportion as active-duty benefits, but we're still being treated like second-class citizens. However, the GI Bill payments will vary by state, and my state already has such cheap in-state tuition that I doubt I'll see much (if any) of an increase.