burpees

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Green_Manelishi, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

:faint:

I've decided to focus on that exercise, hoping it will be sufficient to develop and maintain a level of fitness. My primary reason for choosing burpees is they require no equipment.

Monday I did 10 sets of 5 and thought I'd die.
    Today I did sets of 5,6,7,8,5,6,7,8,5,6.
    Eventually I'd like to be able to do 10 sets of 10.

Any suggestions? Should I focus on speed or correct form?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Green_Manelishi, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Focus on Speed and Accuracy (assuming you mean 'correct form'?)....Burpees are like any other calisthenic, do it right or you won't get much out of it.

Any 1 single exercise will be "sufficient" in maintaining mediocrity...so if thats your goal, you will soon meet it.

Mix things up...jog, swim, bike, weight lift, calisthenics...there is no 1 single exercise that will make you "fit".

#2 cesaros, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. Green_Manelishi

Yes, correct form was the phrase I could not recall.

My situation is such that "mixing it up" with weights is not possible. I am under medical orders to not lift anything heavier than 40 pounds in order to reduce the potential of blowing out two iliac aneurisms.

I am on meds to control blood pressure and heart rate, which makes exercising rather challenging.

I am able to do pull/chin ups, one legged squats, push ups, etc.

Swimming is of interest but not possible. Running is out as well for personal reasons. Not keen to sit on a bike.

It's all a major suck after a lifetime of aggressive exercise, and watching my diet.

4. California Jack

Millennium Member

I'm not usually nosy, but this is a very provocative statement. If I buy you an Isley at you favorite watering hole will you divulge?

5. Green_Manelishi

I don't quite understand your inquiry. Are you asking if I am willing to run for an Islay dram? Perhaps. As a steady exercise though it encourages my body, which is is ectomorph, to start shedding weight. Additionally, I was told by a foot-guy that running is not the best exercise for me; stairmaster, elliptical, swimming are much better.

6. Not true. You can get some nice long-term injuries and joint problems out of it! :wavey:

7. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

I tried burpees but I couldn't get the breathing right.

8. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

I love burpee to death. I could do a 20 burpee in a row. 200 burpees in 22 minutes.

Anyway. Get in the right squat form before you jump and that really helps.

I don't know how strong your arm is, if it is strong enough; then just fall to the groud from in-air which it speeds up the burpee reps.

9. I can't offer anything on form, but my suggestion is to get a tabata timer. Do you consider that equipment? I used to do races to 50, progressing up to 100, after my Muay Thai sessions - the only way I could do that is to find the right pace.

10. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I've never done more than 10 burpees in a row that I can recall. But I used them in a circuit.

I used to do:

10 Burpees
    20 sledge hammer swings
    30 bodyweight squats
    40 jumping jacks
    drag sled 200 ft, carry sandbag 200 ft

Rest 2-3 mins, repeat 2-3 times

I think you should focus on form. Its pretty easy to hack up a burpee and not jump off the ground or throw your hands up in the air. (kinda like squatting 400lbs, but staying 4" above parallel, its bogus)

I'd mix up the intensity. Go for max reps at times, and endurance at other times with multiple sets.

Turbo had some good ideas as well.

11. I love burpees, and I add a plyometric pushup into the movement to make them more difficult. My whole workout is centered around modified burpees, kettlebells, and pullups/chinups.

12. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

Same and I always jump to the highest as I could.

13. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I just started the burpees jump push up and when I jump up I do a pull up. It really gets my burn going

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. Im sorry to here about your health issue. My sister has a similar condition called an AVM. Its to bad you can't hit the weights. A good heavy weights program coupled with some cardio and a splash of cross fit is the best way to be strong and stay in shape.

In your situation just do as much as you can. Burpees are a great full body explosive exercise. I have done more of them than I care to remember. Mix it up when possible.

15. Green_Manelishi

My father had such a severe AVM that he underwent an operation. Is your sister's being treated?

I did have a lifetime of weights and cardio, along with a lifetime of low blood pressure, good heart rate and low cholesterol. That's what makes this situation so "bizarre". I've been under quite a bit of stress for several years and I believe that's what did it, combined with the family history of heart problems. I am confident, so is my mother, I'd have been much worse off if I'd never exercised. Meanwhile I shall do the best I can.

16. She had a successful surgery 5 or 6 years back and all is well. She has a minor one coming up in a few weeks so here's hopping all stays that way.

17. That right there is key, IMO.

Having done 100 burpees for time on more occasions that I can count, the key to your best time is finding a consistent and sustainable pace.

As you get better and better that pace will quicken.

18. nam02G

nam02G Angry Bunny

Have you considered a recumbent bike or trike? You get the cardio workout but not the saddle soreness. My Haluzak Horizon is like riding a bike while sitting on a lawn chair. Very comfortable and easy to take long rides. If speed is a concern and you've heard how slow recumbents are, those stories are mostly exaggeration. It's the rider, not the bike. To a degree of course. A cheap Bike-E recumbent isn't going to keep up with anyone on an 18+ speed road bike. But a Bachetta Corsa will do just fine.

19. Burpees are an ass kicker, especially tabata burpees

Get yourself a Tabata timer (usually free app if you have a smartphone)

It's 20 seconds workout, 10 seconds rest, repeat 8 times for a total of 4 minutes exercise. Do as many burpees as you can for the 20 seconds. You can also do additional rounds with different exercises, or switch up and change the exercises for each of the 20 seconds.

There are other things you can do for those 8 rounds. For example...

[ame]http://youtu.be/UQF9JnpysR0?t=1m23s[/ame]
    (in his case, he's doing 30 seconds exercise instead of 20)

Check out some of the other videos on that channel (some of the ladies are, ah, pretty motivational!)

#19 Burncycle, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  20. Green_Manelishi

Interesting workout. I tried some of it. :wow: