Glock Talk banner

Bullets to fast

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Cleora Fields 
#1 ·
Was hanging out with family Christmas eve, ended up talking firearms with my brother for a while.
Suppressors came up and he had been convinced by something that if a super sonic round goes through a suppressor, it will immediately go sideways and destroy it.
I think i convinced him he was wrong. got bored the next day and hit google a bit. Cant find anything suggesting something like that.

Anyone ever heard someone claim super sonic ammo will damage a suppressor? I'm curious where he gets this stuff, he almost always has a few wildly wrong ideas about firearms.

#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I have shot plenty of supersonic thru mine and had no baffle or end cap strikes to date. I am at about 10k rds thru my Bowers Vers-9s on my UZI last year. It has aluminum baffles, and they replace the stack for $20 if it gets loud or too full of crud, so I don't care about degradation of the baffles. I will check, I think i have some vids I made from last year. The sound difference and rate of fire is noticeable for sure

Reactions: Atomic Punk
#5 ·
I do know that higher pressure can damage a suppressor, but not from bullets turning. My can is rated for subguns shooting 9mm, but will also work on subsonic 300BLK. Supersonic 300BLK puts out more pressure than that can is designed for. That is why I bought a Silencerco Hybrid. Right tool for the right job.

Reactions: Atomic Punk
#6 ·
OK, dont laugh at me, I have now lost 105lb since I shot this vid on Christmas eve 2015.
I dont feel like opening the safe tonight to shoot a pic of the end cap, but trust me, it doesn't have a scratch on it.

Subsonic thru can

Supersonic thru can. (note the rate of fire, more noise, and how far the brass flies)

#7 ·
cool vids, suppressors are on my "eventually" list.

i know supersonic wont hurt a suppressor, other than wear from more gas. was trying to see if anyone had heard of what my brother had claimed before. he's on the net all the time, so it had to come from somewhere. closest i could find on google was hearing damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.