close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bullet-scam at NAIA?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by antediluvianist, Dec 14, 2005.

1. antediluvianist

antediluvianist
    Expand Collapse

Fellow BOGs, I don't know if the warning below is true or an urban legend, but it is making the rounds on the internet :

Please alert friends or family who might be coming home for Christmas.

Unbelievable!!

With Christmas fast approaching, several enterprising crooks at the NAIA
    have cooked up another easy-money scheme to fund their Christmas
    shopping. A bullet or two is slipped inside bags with outside zippers
    and so when the poor sod claims his/her luggage, he is arrested for
    carrying an "accessory to a dangerous weapon".

But the story doesn't end with him in some airport detention room, no, he
    is carted to the Pasay Police Station on where he has to spend the night
    alongside recidivists (habitual criminals) and other scums of the earth.
    And the place ain't Hilton either. After 12 hours or so inside the
    slammer, feelers will be sent to see if he's willing to settle the case
    for a measly sum of 60k, that is, 60k EACH for the judge and whoever else
    wants to milk him dry. A little bit of haggling occurs and voila, he's a
    free man once again.

The above situation really happened. But, the bullet wasn't found in some
    man's luggage, it was "discovered" in a 75-year old woman's bag. And the
    75-year old woman had to be carried out of the jail cell after she agreed
    to pay/settle with the law enforcement officers. She was carried out
    because she could barely walk after spending the night in the cramped and
    stinky jail cell. The 75 year old woman was represented by our
    pediatrician's lawyer husband who again had to represent her after the
    NAIA officials found another bullet in her luggage on her way back to the
    US. Oh well, maybe the lola really was a terrorist, or perhaps she just
    became a juicer target, because the crooks already knew that she was
    willing to settle. You decide.

Atty. Romero says that this sort of case is the third he's handled in the
    last few months. No surprise there, for it seems to be a very well-oiled
    operation and it will probably be implemented more now what with the
    upcoming barrage of balikbayans coming home in time for the holidays. So,
    as not to become a victim, please lock your checked-in luggage, even
    those outside and side zippers. Or better yet, get one of those hard
    cases with no zippers or pockets in front or on the sides. At least this
    way, no opportunity will be created for some unscrupulous person to slip
    in a little extra in your bag and thus create a little extra for himself.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. maomanila

maomanila
    Expand Collapse

This is true. My first cousin was victimized. And yes, the asking price was 60k exactly.

3. isuzu

isuzu
    Expand Collapse

Heto na naman! How could you promote tourism if you're already "robbed" upon arrival in the Philippines?

However, you can't lock your luggage when you're coming from the US. The TSA doesn't allow this, and they will break locks in case they have to.

I had my luggage locked going to the US in 2003. The TSA broke one of the locks when they conducted a random check. They then placed a piece of paper informing me that they checked my luggage.

4. zorkd

zorkd
    Expand Collapse

my folks from the USA asked me if they should be worried about this, while i did hear it from *them* first, i just told them to make sure that they keep their eyes on their belongings at all times and assure that any inspectors have clean hands before letting them fiddle with your bag.

exact same kuwento, P60k rin ang hiningi, may nahanap daw kasing bala. BS sobra. WOW Philippines tapos may gagawa nang ganun, grabeh noh.

5. JEZZZ

JEZZZ
    Expand Collapse

hanep sa raket ah... sino sino ba ang usually involved dyan sa raket na yan? pakidetalye daw mula airport punta sa pasay police.... thank you. just worried, my wifey is coming next week hehe:)

6. gunfool

gunfool
    Expand Collapse

PI talaga oo! Paano ba naman aasenso pinas pag puro kalokohan mga kababayan natin dyan. Tah Ina nila hwag silang magkakamali dahil kumpare ko hepe ngayon nang pasay swat. Uwi pa mandin ako sa dec 24 then balik xiamen nang dec 27 then balik pinas nang dec 29 then balik after the new year. Anyway I had my wife bring her gun and my gun as well pag sundo nya. just in case lang naman at sanay din ako sa kalokohan yet di ako nakulong ni minsan dahil malinis lagi;)

7. New_comer

New_comer
    Expand Collapse

Di naiiba ito sa SM-Manila scam. False accussation, pag di ka pumalag, yari ka na.

Sagad na talaga sa buto ang corruption sa autoridad at pulisya natin... Parang wala na tayong pag-asang makabangon pa... :soap:

8. mikey177

mikey177
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

maomanila,

If it's not too personal, could you provide additional details that might be of help to our fellow BoGs who have relatives or friends coming over during the holidays.

Guys,

What would the best defense be in case one of those *$#@!!^ NAIA inspectors manages to slip ammo into your luggage? Call your lawyer ASAP? If it boils down to a "your word against the inpsector's word" showdown, how can you prove the contraband is not yours?

9. Allegra

Allegra
    Expand Collapse

hehe sounds like an urban legend

10. PMMA97

PMMA97
    Expand Collapse
    MNSAmessdetail

I have informed relatives coming in at Dec. 28th from the East Coast and my brother coming in from Canada about this. Better safe than sorry not to mention the endless trail of SOBs you would have to grease if this actually happens.

11. cznayr

cznayr
    Expand Collapse
    Dis-member

I think only the custom officials inspect the bags when coming in to the country.

If you were asked to subject your bag for inspection by an airport police, you could politely tell them that you will do the unloading of your own items.

12. Allegra

Allegra
    Expand Collapse

It could happen pero I doubt it
    I've traveled all over the country may dala baril at bala , kahit minsan di ako nagkaproblema sa airports, malaki or maliit
    The airport dudes would be takaing a big chance pag ginawa nila yan

13. theTactician

theTactician
    Expand Collapse

wala na talagang maaasahan pa dyan sa pinas. puro modus operandi na ang nalalaman ng mga corrupt officials. para lang kumita ng malaki laking pera.
    what can i say?

14. casmot

casmot
    Expand Collapse
    Re membered

There is one big flaw with the story. If caught with contrabands, you won't be taken to the Pasay Police Station before your arraignment. You will be detained, either at the Customs Area (if apprehended by Customs Police) or at the MIAA Police Barracks (if arrested by MIAA Police) or at the PNP Aviation Command Detention (if caught by the PNP Aviation Command). The Pasay Police does not have any jurisdiction within the NAIA. They will only assume jurisdiction after you have been arraigned and remanded by the Fiscal for detention. And your detention won't be in a Police Station, it would be in Pasay City Jail.

The different LEOs within NAIA are very distrustful of other LEOs within the area. They watch over their catch carefully and wont just turn them over to the other LEOs until they get the credit. And when money is involved they won't share.

I remember this one incident. A departing foreigner was trying to bring out an endangered turtle shell. When it was pointed out by the X-ray operator to the Customs personnel, he just said "Call quarantine and Airport Police". The PNP personnel just looked and turned his back. When the MIAA Police arrived with the quarantine personnel, the x-ray operator pointed out another mysterious shadow. The baggage was opened and searched and a false bottom was discovered. Inside were bundles on US dollars. Biglang sabi nun PNP, "Police Matter, dahin ko na sa duty officer ako!" "Hinde!", sabi nun Customs personnel, "Sa Customs yan!" Nagkagulo na. Buti na lang nandoon yun Blue Guard at hindi pinaalis yun foreigner. :)

15. isuzu

isuzu
    Expand Collapse

I think what they are worried is when the baggage is unloaded from the airplane before the passenger gets a hold of it. The "bullet" could be planted there by somebody and would describe the baggage to their cohorts at the baggage claim area.

These people might have taken advantage of the TSA rule that prohibits passengers from locking their baggage upon check-in in the US.

16. isuzu

isuzu
    Expand Collapse

Well, if a passenger is ignorant of the laws and procedures, certainly, the corrupt LEOs will have their way in bringing the "arrested passenger" to the Pasay police station.

17. Froggy_131

Froggy_131
    Expand Collapse
    Bubblehead

Ignorant? Pretty strong word. People can be unfamiliar with the laws and procedures but not necessarily ignorant. Seems like these things are becoming the norm there - people looking for any opportunity to make quick bucks. And sadly, most of them are from your government.

18. vega

vega
    Expand Collapse

And so, how is Washington nowadays?

vega

19. Froggy_131

Froggy_131
    Expand Collapse
    Bubblehead

State or DC? Answer is, no clue! I live in Joisey. How about you, how does it feel to be finally "legal" in the U.S.?

20. vega

vega
    Expand Collapse

I have no idea, how did you felt then? Or still feeling it?

vega