bullet on ccw has a dent on the primer

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by matthewmurray706, May 7, 2012.

1. The bullet in my carry weapon has a dent on the primer and marks on the bullet. I carry a Glock 26. Whenever I pull my gun out of the holster, I clear the round from the chamber and put it back in the magazine. i have done this to the same round for a couple months now. Will I have any damage to the gun when i eventually fire this round? Or will the bullet go off by itself since there are dents forming on the primer of the bullet?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    The bullet in my carry weapon has a dent on the primer. why? General Firearms Forum May 7, 2012
    .233 barrel twist: dependent on bullet length, not weight? Caliber Corner Mar 24, 2011
    stray bullet kills student Band of Glockers Sep 23, 2006
    Help identifying bullets Band of Glockers Feb 6, 2006
    10MM jacketed soft point bullets Reloading Aug 21, 2015

3. you can get bullet setback from chambering and unchambering over and over...picsod the "dent" in your primer

4. Bullet setback can/will eventually cause the round to generate excess pressures when fired, potentially resulting in a KB (KaBoom).

5. I used to do the same thing until I learned about bullet setback. Now my guns are stored "hot" and if I have to eject the round from the chamber I rotate it through the mag, so as not to rechamber the same round repeatedly.

6. Thank you for the input. I will do that from now on.

7. dtuns

I also rotate round but I have chambered same round over and over and never had any setback. I know this cause I measured bullet. I carry a Glock 23. I rotate round cause of marks on case never had any dents on primer.

8. I conceal my pistol on my ankle. Could I have gotten a dent on the primer from ankle carrying?

9. unlikey.
    I rechamber my 23 and 27 a bit and never had bullet setback. even with the 32 barrel I never get that with Gold Dot or HST ammo.

10. dawg23

dawg23 Resident Dimwit

This is a bad idea -- especially with .40 caliber ammo.

11. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Buy a quick-access handgun safe (if you feel the need to have a "safer" gun when you get home) and stop unchambering the round.

12. Don't rely on this one measurement as meaning you are good to go with just any round. Different brands seat and set the bullets differently. Your brand is obviously good to go, but if you change brands, you may get set back if you don't continue to check. I know, I have had one bullet set back after loading it twice, and another not set back after dozens of chamberings.

ETA: I carry .40, so I check often.

#11 fwm, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  13. I do it all the time. And I measured the setback & found none after 25 times. Now is it a good idea to do it that many times?.....no. I chamber 5 times & after that the round goes into a range mag.
    I don't unchamber my firearm often though.

#12 fuzzy03cls, May 8, 2012
  14. Don't forget to top off your mag.

15. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

#14 concretefuzzynuts, May 8, 2012
  16. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

You sound like a leftist journalist when you describe the dented primer on the "bullet." The bullet is what flies out of the muzzle toward the target. Now the primer is part of the CARTRIDGE, which contains the case, propellant, primer, and bullet.