close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

bullet on ccw has a dent on the primer

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by matthewmurray706, May 7, 2012.

1. matthewmurray706

matthewmurray706

Apr 15, 2012
    The bullet in my carry weapon has a dent on the primer and marks on the bullet. I carry a Glock 26. Whenever I pull my gun out of the holster, I clear the round from the chamber and put it back in the magazine. i have done this to the same round for a couple months now. Will I have any damage to the gun when i eventually fire this round? Or will the bullet go off by itself since there are dents forming on the primer of the bullet?

2. rmodel65

rmodel65

Oct 29, 2011
    you can get bullet setback from chambering and unchambering over and over...picsod the "dent" in your primer

3. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Bullet setback can/will eventually cause the round to generate excess pressures when fired, potentially resulting in a KB (KaBoom).

4. truetopath

truetopath

Nov 26, 2011
    NY
    I used to do the same thing until I learned about bullet setback. Now my guns are stored "hot" and if I have to eject the round from the chamber I rotate it through the mag, so as not to rechamber the same round repeatedly.

5. matthewmurray706

matthewmurray706

Apr 15, 2012
    Thank you for the input. I will do that from now on.

6. dtuns

dtuns

Aug 30, 2010
    Oregon
    I also rotate round but I have chambered same round over and over and never had any setback. I know this cause I measured bullet. I carry a Glock 23. I rotate round cause of marks on case never had any dents on primer.

7. matthewmurray706

matthewmurray706

Apr 15, 2012
    I conceal my pistol on my ankle. Could I have gotten a dent on the primer from ankle carrying?

8. unlikey.
    I rechamber my 23 and 27 a bit and never had bullet setback. even with the 32 barrel I never get that with Gold Dot or HST ammo.

9. dawg23

dawg23 Resident Dimwit

Feb 20, 2001
    Louisiana
    This is a bad idea -- especially with .40 caliber ammo.

10. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Aug 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Buy a quick-access handgun safe (if you feel the need to have a "safer" gun when you get home) and stop unchambering the round.

11. fwm

fwm

May 31, 2006
    Near Central US
    Don't rely on this one measurement as meaning you are good to go with just any round. Different brands seat and set the bullets differently. Your brand is obviously good to go, but if you change brands, you may get set back if you don't continue to check. I know, I have had one bullet set back after loading it twice, and another not set back after dozens of chamberings.

ETA: I carry .40, so I check often.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  12. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    I do it all the time. And I measured the setback & found none after 25 times. Now is it a good idea to do it that many times?.....no. I chamber 5 times & after that the round goes into a range mag.
    I don't unchamber my firearm often though.

13. rta108

rta108

Mar 21, 2009
  14. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
  15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    You sound like a leftist journalist when you describe the dented primer on the "bullet." The bullet is what flies out of the muzzle toward the target. Now the primer is part of the CARTRIDGE, which contains the case, propellant, primer, and bullet.