Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Bullet modification. too much time on my hands

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by drcoffee, Nov 23, 2009.

1. drcoffee

Jul 19, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Okay, I'm tired of looking for Hornady's Critcal Defense for a reasonable price. Here's a thought. I've done some prototyping using a mold making 2-part silicone rubber called OOMOO 25. Once it hardens, it is very flexible yet dense/firm. It is poured and does not retain air bubbles. What I'm going to try is to fill the HP cavity in my Federal Hydra shok self defense loads with this rubber. I'll need to make some gelatin to test fire it and see if the clothed expansion is better or worse.

From looking at the bullet, there is a spike in the center of the hp. This should help force the rubber outward making the bullet expand. Since the tip is filled, it can't get clogged. The hydrodynamics of the rubber will help with reliable expansion. At least that's my hypothesis.

The OOMOO 30 costs $25 per quart. That should go along way for a lot less. Since it is poured into the cavity, the fit will be perfect. And rubber won't be affected by ambient temperature. In fact, once the bullet has been fired, the extreme heat will soften the rubber making it more viscous on impact. The weight will be negligible

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Mar 11, 2008
    how thin is it when poured? if the stuff is to thick when pored it may not settle completely in the cavity.

3. I wouldnt bother with it. thats one less thing to explain to the judge if you have to use your "modified" rounds for self defense
  4. dussandr

Jul 8, 2009
    SE Texas
    Sounds like it'll leave a barrel full of rubber.
  5. ked

Feb 12, 2007
    i like the idea, but i would worry about it working loose on the bullets in the magazine. if it did, it might jam the magazine. at least the hydra-shoks have the peg in the cavity to help hold onto the plug.

final decision, don't do it! IMHO.

ps: you are right about having too much time on your hands!:tongueout:
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Jan 8, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL

You're about to do something that at minimum is rather pointless, and on the other end of the scale possibly quite dangerous.

Stop now before you hurt yourself.

7. drcoffee

Jul 19, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    I'm not too concerned for two reasons: first, the badguy will be dead and won't be able to sue me. Second. I'm shooting someone in self-defense with a deadly weapon. If I'm shooting someone, the point is to kill them before they kill me.

Now I doubt a prosecuter will think a rubber plug will make the bullet anymore dangerous. I'm not changing the way the bullet was designed to open, just ensuring it does its job.
  8. drcoffee

Jul 19, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Why? It hardens to near rigid. It's not going to melt in the barrel.
  9. drcoffee

Jul 19, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    it pours nicely and allows air bubbles to surface. I've used it for mold making and it will completely fill the pocket. It would have to to maintain proper weight distribution.

Years back, I played with inserting a primer in the cavity. That would have been hard to explain to a jury, I will admit. :rofl:

10. My thought too.

Adding something to your bullet will increase it's weight. Heavier bullet with same powder charge means higher pressure.

Stop looking for magic bullets and spend more time practicing your shooting and taking training classes. It will work much better in the end.
  11. 1. Your point is not to kill the other person. If you walk into a court room and say you were trying to kill him you just admitted to murder. The point of using a gun to defend yourself is to stop an attack upon your person. You only shoot to stop the attack, once the attack has stopped you stop shooting.

2. Prosecutors are lawyers. Ask a lawyer what 2+2 equals and they will ask you what you want it to equal, then create the argument to support what you want. If the prosecutor is so inclined they will most definitely twist around your modification of the bullets to be seen in the worst possible way. Remember anything you say and DO can and WILL be used against you in court.
  12. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Jan 8, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    You said this earlier:

"In fact, once the bullet has been fired the extreme heat will liquify the rubber making it more dynamic on impact."

I'm confused as to how it's going to liquify after it's been fired, but not melt in the barrel.

13. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
  14. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Jan 27, 2009
    If you are not confident that your self-defense round of choice will expand properly the answer is simple... switch to a different round. Using "modified" ammo for self-defense seems like asking for trouble should you have to use it.

In addition, Hornady also uses different polymer tips according to the different loads. It's a little more complicated then filling the cavity with some rubber.
  15. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

Mar 3, 2009
    I suggest you go ahead and give it a try. I for one would like to see how it preforms in gelatin.

Hope you also find the time to keep us updated with your findings
  16. SRTMO

Nov 14, 2009

The point is to incapacitate. Not kill.
  17. BadAndy

Oct 2, 2004
    Irmo, SC
    Use a stun gun then.
  18. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I have tried silicone and that just turns the bullet into a FMJ. No expansion at all.