close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bulged brass fixed!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Shadyscott69, Mar 5, 2012.

1. TX Archer

TX Archer

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That's good to hear. Now I won't keep anticipating a problem that won't likely appear. Thanks, guys.

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    This thread started out discussing a real problem and its solution. It's worth keeping the solution in the back of your mind. Just in case...

Richard

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

3. squirreld

squirreld

Jan 15, 2006
    US of A
    C4W,
    I went and readjusted the decapper/sizer die and sized 10 cases.
    I sized them all and measured them.

4 were right at .424, SAMI max, at the base.
    6 were .421-.423 near the base.

I flipped the 4 over and they were all Winchester brass.
    The other 6 were blazer, federal, and remington.

I think I just found out why I am getting some cases a lil larger than all the others. They are either made that way at the factory, or they are weaker.

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    That is still good news because they are all within SAAMI spec. The chamber is bigger then that spec. Even a tight KKM is bigger then that spec. They will work fine as long as the crimp is right and the bullet is seated straight.

5. squirreld

squirreld

Jan 15, 2006
    US of A
    Out all of my reloads, the largest diameters is always at the base. I've never had the case come in larger around the bullet than at the base.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    You are saying yes & no. A case gage can NOT tell you if OAL is correct. They are mostly set for max SAAMI length, not helpful @ all. As you note, it has to fit your mag & bbl. OAL is ALWAYS gun & bullet specific, a gage is almost worthless for checking OAL.:dunno:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  7. squirreld

squirreld

Jan 15, 2006
    US of A
    In the reloading manuals, are the dimensions given on each calibers load data SAMI max?

I have always thought of case gauges as diameter and headspace checks.

OAL, have to use a bbl and or magazine.

8. I load to 1.185 vs. SAMI spec of 1.135 for 40 S&W. I have been loading to 1.212.
    By shortening the round a little, I raised the pressure to tune my load without adding more powder. The gun still runs fine. Generally the magazine will be the limiting factor in OAL.