close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

BUIS question

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by 9mmmountaineer, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Looking to buy a Troy front sight, and magpul rear MBUS just bc it's what I came up with in my mind as a good combo.

Any reason not to do so, also I'm having a hard time figuring whether to buy folding front sight or stationary.

Any advice is appreciated, also recently purchased primary arms micro dot and I plan to co witness with my BUIS, can y'all help steer me in the right direction

9mm Mountaineer

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I prefer Troy sights over all others.
    The combo you have in mind should work as well.

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    That combo would work, but you would be better off spending the extra $50 and getting a Troy rear sight.

A folding front sight is better than a fixed, gives you the choice to shoot with or without irons in the picture when using the red dot.

4. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    Agreed.

And a metal sight is stronger than a plastic one.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I prefer a fixed A2 front sight, even with the EoTech. If the red dot goes down you instantly have a backup sight without having to futz around. Also you can instantly tell that your red dot still has good alignment because it will be right on top of the front post if your head is in the normal position.

But Troy's front and rear would be nice.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  6. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Why the mixing of manufacturers w/ the back-ups?

7. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    I prefer fixed BUIS. They don't interfere with the sight picture with a lower 1/3 cowitness. But if you really need to use your BUIS you need them NOW not after taking a few seconds to put them up. I can close 25 yards in the time it takes most of you to flip up a pair of sights.

My go to sights at a Troy fixed A4 front and a Larue BUIS on the back. Its about as bombproof a setup as you can get. The Daniel Defense 1.5 fixed set is also very good. You can have the DD set for $120--about what you'd pay for a Troy rear. My setup runs about $150.

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    I have Troys on my AR, they are very beautifully made, high quality.

As most will say, having folding BUISs gives you more options, let's you decide if you want to co-witness, lower 1/3rd, or fold them out of the way.

More options is always better.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    By preference, I run a fixed front and folding rear. Currently have a fixed rear because I don't argue with free.

Since my normal arrangement is an Aimpoint and fixed front, neither is likely to fail, but if the Aimpoint for some weird reason does die, the front sight is just 'there' and you can at worst, center the bad guy in the tube and fire, or use the Aimpoint as a giant rear sight and still get hits until you flip up the rear.

Other prefer fixed front/rear for instant backup in case of failure (Larry Vickers being known for this). I'm not going to tell an ex Delta guy what to do, but even Delta guys argue about that one.

I'm ok with folding fronts for some purposes, especially if you're using a variable power scope since there won't be any instant transition there.

It's a personal thing.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Maybe I'm wrong but the BUIS do not dictate the type of cowitness. That's done w/ the optic's mount.

11. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Correct.

My point was that BUISs that flip up/down give you options.

12. Simply bc I'm cheap and the only rear iron sight I have experience with in the MBUS. Mine came as a flat Top and I've been using cheap optics and want to step up in the world.

I guess I'll go ahead and get the troy front sight... and depending if i can find a deal on the rear too. The only reason I'm not going full MBUS is bc i am going to try it On my m&p OR gas block. I wouldn't want melted sights.

I'm getting them as a Christmas present from the 'ol lady and wanted to get a combo she could afford, where did you get your Combo for $120?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. I think this is why I have to go with folding sights

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    It's Cyber Monday, there is a link here to some deals. There are some folding BUIS deals to be had in it.

Good luck finding what you want at the right price.

15. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Indiana

Not really.

16. Where is the link?

9mm Mountaineer

17. Seems like a good deal, anybody recommend YHM? I like their look and I watched nutnfancy's shot show review on the company, seem pretty cool family owned and all.

9mm Mountaineer

18. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    :upeyes:

Good luck.

19. Brian Brazier

Brian Brazier

Jan 20, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I perfer A2 front sight with a Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight, I also like to run optics absolute co witness, but everyone is different.