Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Building My Shotgun Supplies

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by frankr, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I’ve always maintained a decent supply of ammunition and increased my number of magazines for my Glock’s but now that the store shelves are empty I’ve been working on my Benelli M2 Tactical shotgun. Added a magazine extension turning it into a 7+1 and building my supply of 00 buckshot and 1 oz slugs. Any thing to do with firearms is getting almost impassable to find. Are you guys doing anything different?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    A few hundred birdshot.

It's not buckshot but if it gets down to it, it's ammo. I suggest #6 or a turkey load.

Spare magazine springs and other internal bits you can acquire if possible to keep it running. Manual to learn how to do that.

3. burttrans

Aug 17, 2012
    I recently purchased a Mossberg 590A1 Blackhawk with ghost sights 8 mag tube and speedfeed stock. Love the gun but I too have added a bunch of bird shot just to have and I think we are going to see much higher prices. Also I want to start adding buckshot and slugs, matter of fact I may go today and buy some!
  4. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    SG and an assortment of ammo. And maybe a mag spring.

Now there is peace of mind.
  5. Wyoming

Feb 3, 2007
    Southwest Wyoming
    It wouldn't hurt to have some specialty rounds. They make everything from bird bombs to flairs.

I used to load 3" mag #4 buck for home protection when I was younger. A total of 41 number 4 buck shot is not needed for that. The best use for that load is to put the first one up the tube. If you ever got into a gun fight there is no need to count. If you ever shot that round off you would know that was your last round because the recoil!

Just my two cents worth.
  6. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I know a cop who put four rounds of 00 into a guy, all center mass hits before he went down.

And I know of multiple cases of cops firing an entire mag tube from a shotgun and thinking they only fired one shot.

Never assume.
  7. F_G

Jan 11, 2010
    Crown King, AZ
    I have 2 extra mag springs and followers for my 870 and 1 extra for my Benelli. I have just been stocking up on 00 buck and slugs. Walked into Walmart this weekend and they had 20 boxes of Winchester slugs for $4.76 a box, I bought 'em all.
  8. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Being a 3Gun competitor, just dropping a few matches this year and I should be good.

For your Benelli, long term, you should probably invest in a few spare magazine tube springs, follower, hammer springs, lifter springs. Chances are you won't need them, but better safe than sorry.
  9. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    I've got 50-bird shot, 150-#4 shot, 200-00 buck and 100-slug.

Plus a variety of specialty self defense shells.
  10. FH Alum

FH Alum

Jan 14, 2005
    Beaver State
    Lee Press, Lee slug mold, 00 buck mold, casting pot, thousands of primers, powder to match, wads, and a uncountable couple of garbage sacks of hulls I have collected the last 10 years. Yep on 12 I'm set.

Oh and google cut hull slug and see what a bird shot round can do if you Bubba it up in a pinch.

Nov 5, 2001
    North Carolina
    I have spare 870 parts, springs, followers, mag extension tubes, original police model wood stocks. I am looking to build up another if I can find a good deal on a well used Police Magnum department trade-in.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    I've kept a few extra mag springs around since they were threatened by the 94 ban. I buy 00 and slugs as opportunity permits and keep decent inventory on hand.

Since the CT shooting, and resultant ammo shortages, I've started doing more practice with shotguns, since birdshot hasn't been wiped out yet.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire