Building AKs

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by CJStudent, Sep 21, 2012.

1. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Okay, so I'm toying with the idea of starting to get stuff together to build an AK, since I traded my last one in on a Colt 6920 (blasphemy, I know!). So, other than a parts kit, barrel, receiver, and fire control parts, what do I need? What tools do I need? I've been looking at some of the kits on AK builder; either a Bulgarian 5.45 (since I still have several hundred rounds of 5.45), or maybe a Kyber Pass type 7.62.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    I'm thinking of building a 1911 Commander .45 ACP 1911 Forums Tuesday at 9:46 PM
    Building an AR 15 or not Black Rifle Forum Jul 22, 2015
    building MY "combat glock" PART 2 General Glocking Jul 3, 2015
    DARPA Building Military Terminator Robots The Lighter Side Jul 1, 2015
    building MY "combat glock" General Glocking Jun 28, 2015

3. Hamrhed

Hamrhed AKs & Glocks

Not sure what you will need to put a kit together, but from what I have read- it would take much less in the way of tools and effort to convert a Saiga rifle... That is the route I would go if it were me. Just my $.02

#2 Hamrhed, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

I would rather have an AK than a converted saiga.... I strongly dissuade you from a bent flat, a nodak receiver is much more stout and already pre hardened.

Otherwise look at learning to spot weld to possibly build up the ejector, buy a magnet for the heat treating process, buy a press, and some jigs...

here are the gory details. Good luck!

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61255

5. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

I'm planning on buying a ready-to-go receiver from Nodak Spud. What tools would I need to assemble this, and what other parts (mainly 922R compliance parts) would I need to complete it?

6. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Click the link in post 3 ..... read the tutorials.... all of your answers are there

7. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Thanks. Unfortunately, that's blocked from my work computer (though this site isn't; strange, huh?).

8. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Well I promise you, when you get home you will have more info than you know what to do with, and way more details than can be put in this thread. Good luck!

9. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Thanks!