close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Build complete, have not fired, what else...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by JerryVO, Oct 24, 2012.

1. JerryVO

JerryVO

Oct 22, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    So I have finally completed my first AR build (and my first AR - Pics to come soon) and I think I am ready to shoot it but I am a little nervous that I missed something and it is going to blow up in my hands. Unfortunately I am not in an area where I can just go out into my back yard and shoot so my first shot will be at the range. Here is what I have done to safety / function test so far:

Safety on, pulled trigger - nothing happens
    Safety off, pulled trigger - hammer releases
    Pulled trigger and kept depressed, moved hammer back down - hammer locks into place
    Loaded 2 snap caps, chambered round - ejection port opens
    Manually pull charging handle - first snap cap ejects, second round chambers
    Magazine locks in place and releases properly
    Charging handle safety works properly

Is there anything that I missed or anything else I can do before I go out and shoot it?

2. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Nope if you followed all the build procedures. Now go shoot it!:supergrin:

3. TucsonGlocker

TucsonGlocker Young Gun

Mar 21, 2011
    AZ
    Send it to my FFL with 1000 rounds and I'll be happy to test it out for you (if it works, be aware that you may not get it back) :whistling:

In all seriousness,
    ^What he said :wavey:

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    A ar is not going to blow up in your hands, unless maybe you forgot to put a barrel nut on or something like that.

Don't worry, go shoot it. As long as the trigger is installed right, castle nut is tight, you should be good to go.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. Did you check the headspace too? It should be checked with proper go/no go gauges or bring it to an AR armorer to check the headspace if you assembled the upper.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  6. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Oct 1, 2003
    SC
    The headspace is set by the barrel extension which is welded on the barrel and set by the barrel manufacturer. A headspace check in an AR is more to see if the barrel is worn out or not.

7. Yes, but what if something is out of spec? I thought every properly assembled AR15 and other types get headspaced before firing the first time.

8. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas
  9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Earplugs & safety glasses

10. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Oct 1, 2003
    SC
    The manufacturer of the barrel sets the headspace for a milspec bolt.

There is no way to change the headspacing on an AR other than bolt swapping or reaming the chamber, and if you need to ream the chamber, the barrel was made wrong.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Yep,........:thumbsup:

12. TNGlockman

TNGlockman NRA Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    I just built my first AR lower too recently and it worked perfectly. I'm sure yours will too.

Have fun!