close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bugout bags... What's in yours?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by nyycanseco33, May 5, 2012.

1. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Oct 3, 2011
    NY
    What do you use for bugout bags and what do you carry in them for supplies, also what quantities too... Looking for more ideas to add or how to change mine to make it better, others can benefit from this also

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. SolidGun

SolidGun Addicted 2 guns

Sep 6, 2005
    Minnesota
    You need to state whereabouts you live and if you have family members to get the best input from the right people.

My entire bag setup changed when I had twins and we moved to a colder region.

3. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Oct 3, 2011
    NY
    I live in upstate NY right on the south east corner of lake Ontario, I am single so no family members that will be tagging along right now but if that ever changes I can add to my kit

Just curious what others have added that I may have missed or just never even thought about

4. Protus

Protus

Apr 6, 2008
    i use a Kelty Falcon 4000ci military ruck.
    Mostly run it with the lid off and the low pro lid on. so its around the 3k ci mark.
    I hike with it so contents change per season.

Water-
    3L c-bak full
    1L- nalgene on the belt
    3x 2l platypus hosers with caps vs hoses.
    katadyn mini.
    sweet water drops
    survival straw.

Shelter-
    8x8 sil tarp
    8x5 ground sheet
    bug netting
    sleeping bag- winter kelty 20f down bag or marmot trestles 32f, bivy bag . Summer- small snug pack style jungle bag.
    therma rest-usgi issue
    ( clothing) columbia shirts,pants, UA hot or cold gear , and cabot and sons/smartwool socks, mesh boxer briefs. Base layers for winter and poly pros. Watch cap and gloves

Food-
    assorted freeze dreid,mre and cliff bars
    drink mixes( emergen-C mix)
    trail mix/dried fruits

cooking- stainless steel cup, alum spork

fire- fire steel, matches, bic lighters

comms- strobe,led light sticks, 2m HT. cell phone, signal mirror

FAK- baisc small kit and IFAK

odd's /ends
    sun glasses
    bandana
    sewing kit
    mora knife
    surefire G2
    led head lamp ( energizer )
    550 cord
    small camo bungees( 6 inch size)
    3-4 non climbing carbiners
    flip flops
    light stick( 1-3)
    small pad,pen and pencil.
    Maps( 3-4 Ao maps)
    Compass
    wrist compass
    thermometer with small compass on it
    spare multitool
    sapre batts for lights
    weapons support-
    varies. when i hike i run 2 extra mags for my g17. Vs the 6 i'd carry bugging out ,same with rifle ( 100 round or 4 mags whatever i load )

about all of it i think from teh top of my head without dumping it all LOL.

weight is under 40 lbs

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  5. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    Simple A.L.I.C.E. pack w/frame that I bought off Ebay. Rugged, durable and has plenty of compartments and ways to attach things.

Inside, let's see, the pack doubles as my primitive camping and BOB...

Tuna fish can stove and smaller cat food can stove. These are great since I'm too chea...er, frugal to spend the $5 on an esbit stove ;)

Seriously, I like to be redundant in several areas such as making fire, knives, signalling, cordage and ways to cook/boil or sanitize water, lighting sources etc. So these are easily made and light.

First aid kit
    Folding shovel
    Several knives of various lenghts (I normally use Kabar, Mora and a attached a Gerber to the shoulder strap plus my normal Swiss Army and Spyderco folders)
    Rain ponchos
    Firesteel (several of these in various spots in pack, on my person, in knife sheath)
    Magnesium block w/striker
    Waterproof matches
    Various tinder (cotton ball w/p-jelly, dryer lint from towels etc)
    Various flashlights (LED as well as mini-mags and head lamp)
    Sawyer filtration bottle (as well as some light weight aluminum and plastic types for additonal water storage) (also have 2% iodine as back up)
    Whistle
    Signal mirror
    Various cordage (including 550 and some glow-in-the-dark for general camping use and some bungee cords)
    Duct tape
    Clothing differs depending on what the situation is going to be
    Normal toiletry items
    Cooking utensils and items
    Tarp
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Emergency blankets
    Multi tool
    Spare batteries
    Food appropriate to the situation
    Compass on my watch
    My off-duty sidearm of course

Some other stuff but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

That is just the BOB. I also have similar stuff in the vehicles for my GHB except stuff like tent and cooking stuff. Also, if I'm just doing a simple hike or bike ride I've got a small kit around the Mora (Cody) knife I wear with small first aid, flashlight, whistle, firesteel, cordage, tinder etc. All in a reflective, waterproof bag.

6. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Reserved space for more time.

Also - how long is your pack intended to last you, and is it by foot or vehicle?

7. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    honestly, there are tons of bug out bag threads in this forum, I have contributed to 99% of them but I dont have the energy at the moment.

8. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Oct 3, 2011
    NY
    I asked a simple question and if you don't want to answer then fine just carry on and move along to the next thread instead of wasting our time here with your sarcastic and uninformative post

9. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Oct 3, 2011
    NY
    I have to consider both options, if I can use a vehicle then great but in the odd case that I am unable to I may have to go by foot so I have to tailor it to be used for both I guess... My pack is intended to last as long as possible but mainly for 72 hours without refilling or running low on supply

10. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    The bag is a Maxpedition Condor II. Inside is everything I'd need to spend a few nights at a hotel, on a friend's couch, in my car, in the woods, or in an alley.

First Aid
    Shelter
    Warmth
    Water
    Defense
    Food

...Pretty much in that order.

I keep the bag small and mobile. The biggest I'd go is a Maxpedition Condor II. It has straps on the bottom to attach and additional smaller bag, which I keep packed with a change of sturdy clothes (paid off after apartment fire forced me out. I got dressed in the parking lot, armed myself, and carried on while my neighbors stood around wearing their pajamas wondering when they were going to be let back in) so that I don't waste weight and space in the bag with bulky clothing that I don't absolutely need. It's nice to be able to drop 10 lbs of pack and carry on if you have to. The backpack has the essentials, only what I'd need, and is supplemented by duffel bags with food, water, more clothes, winter clothes, a nice tent, etc. that would be very nice to have if camping out of the truck, but could do without if I had to leave it behind.

11. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    We need more information.

What time of year will you be bugging out? Summer, Fall etc

Where will you be going?

What supplies are at your final destination.

How long will it take you to get there?

What do you currently have in your bag?

A Bug list for FL in Summer might not work for you.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  12. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Personally, I use a camelback molle hydration vest, with an Ares combat-12 (iirc) pack that can attach/detach fairly quickly, allowing use of just the vest & bladder if desired.

Not to be vague, but the questions others asked above are important to address, even if not publicly. Your personal situation (location, likely distance from home, area type, family needs, etc) will dictate or influence a lot of things.

My comments from:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378834
    This one's pretty good as well:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417466

This thread has a lot of info, as well as a "contents calculator" spreadsheet link in it, to help point out weak areas. Not everything will apply to everybody and every situation, but worth looking at.
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812551

13. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
  14. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

Dec 29, 2006
    Texas
    You asked a question that has been asked hundreds of times.

Look at fireforged's join date and post count and compare it to yours.

Maybe he's got knowledge about this site you don't.

You may find his suggestion of doing a site search to be of value.

15. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Oct 3, 2011
    NY
    If he was presented as a respectful manner and treated me with respect then I would but he disrespected me and others who are just curious about our bags, if you don't have anything to contribute then carry on and don't post here... Thanks for the no help

Your comment is the reason why a lot of people avoid asking questions because of the smart remarks and sarcasm instead of a polite comment directing someone to the source of info to help them, very disrespectful and unacceptable

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  16. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
  17. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    Wow! I suggest you pack a few pairs of panties in your BOB, as the pair you got on seems wadded up pretty tight!! :whistling:

18. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 Da Fk'n Man

Oct 3, 2011
    NY
    I suggest you carry on, your remarks are not wanted here, please stop with the poor remarks

19. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Last edited: May 9, 2012