close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bug splat!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by TxMan, Aug 15, 2004.

1. TxMan

TxMan

Mar 11, 2004
    Texas
    This is one of the many reasons I wear a full faceshield helmet. I was driving home from work on Friday riding my '00 ST1100, and all of sudden SPLAT!....a giant bug hits my faceshield on my helmet. I was going about 50 mph and the bug exploded on my faceshield! It hit so hard that the bug sounded as if it was made of metal.

I always wear a helmet and I was even more grateful that I wear a full faceshield. If that would have hit my in the face it would have caused some serious pain!

Anyone else been smacked in the face by a bug? or been saved by a faceshield/goggles?

2. D25

D25 The Quick

Jan 26, 2003
    I always wear a full-face helmet, but still, I have a humungous welt on my neck from a bug I hit today. I don't understand how the guys in glasses or goggles do it.

3. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

Mar 22, 2004
    KY
    I got hit in the head with a bird the other day...It glanced and was not a direct hit but if I didnt have a helment on it would have hurt like the dickens......I also got hit in the arm with a cigeratte thrown from a truck...That hurt...

4. nhglocker

nhglocker

Dec 14, 2003
    New Hampshire
    A couple of springs ago I was riding with my full face helmet on but due to the warm weather I had the face shield up. Wouldn't you know it I nailed some kind of bug which hit the corner of my glasses. Looking down I could see it's eggs smeared across my glasses and rode all the way home suppressing the gag reflex.

When I first started riding I didn't wear a helmet and my old bike had no windsheild. One warm summer night I took the road by the river to get home through some light fog and thick patches of bugs. When I stood in front of the mirror I must have had a thousand of those little critters stuck to my face still alive and flapping their wings. I took a loong shower that night.

;0

BTW sweet looking Honda, same kind of ride as my connie.

5. WERA49

WERA49

Jul 26, 2003
    Ohio
    When I ride, I wear a fullface helmet. (the one in the avatar) I've hit many bugs with a fullface helmet. Everytime I do, I'm thankful to have one on.

I, too, don't understand the lidless guys with goggles.......;Q

I've ruined helmets in crashes. I won't ride without one.

Last fall, I spooked a wild turkey riding through Deal's Gap. It decided to fly across the road to get away from me. It was helmet high. I think that was the hardest that I've ever braked on a bike. :)

6. TxMan

TxMan

Mar 11, 2004
    Texas
    Another story is when I was a lot younger (16 or so) I was riding my dirt bike with a open face helmet beside a huge drainage ditch. The ditch was about 25 feet deep, with a slope so a dirtbike could climb up and down the walls of it. I was going about 15-20 mph next to the drainage ditch when a bumble-bee gets inside my helmet by my ear! I jammed on the brakes and almost ended up in the ditch! I threw off my helmet, but it was too late...the bee had stung the inside of my ear! Ouch! that hurt!!

I can still remember that day real good, even though most of my teenage years are still a mystery to me! ;Y

7. potatoho

potatoho

Jul 26, 2002
    Port Orange, FL
    Bees! Yeah that happened to me, I was cruising 45mph and something hit me in the chest. About a mile later I see a bee
    crawling around right in front of my eyeball.

Open the pod bay doors Hal!

[​IMG]

8. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    I've hit a few big bugs with the helmet, the worst was clipping a bird with my shoulder.

Here is a nice dragon fly that met it's demise from my headlight. :)

Cheers!
    Glen