close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BUG OUT vs. BUG IN

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by nightwolf1974, Feb 26, 2012.

1. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974
    Expand Collapse

In the last 15 years of my prepping, I've seen and heard a lot of debates over wether to leave your primary location (BUG OUT) or stay entrenched at your primary location (BUG IN). We all have different views and/or needs in this catagory.

Me personally my prepping is based on the BUG IN scenario(SP?).

I was wondering how many preppers here have decided to BUG IN or BUG OUT?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. auto-5

auto-5
    Expand Collapse

Not a prepper but I do have contingency plans for natural disasters that happen around our area. For instance in Kansas I am much more prepared for a massive tornado than for a Chinese invasion.

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

I'm 90% bug in, because in an emergency situation I'd be stuck in the world's largest traffic jam with several million others.

My 10% bug out means I do keep some stuff in my truck, in case my home is suddenly gone or in case I'm elsewhere when it hits the fan.

I have very little chance of getting to a pre-arranged bug out location, and I'm not eager to be another refugee on the highway.

Home is where the resources are.

4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

I vote for Bug in.

:cool:

5. hokieglock

hokieglock
    Expand Collapse
    Proud Infidel

Bug in: shelter, water, food, guns, ammo, all in large quantities.

6. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Ditto here. IN.

(The situation that would indicate OUT would be escaping nuclear radiation or a chemical attack. Not prepared for that. Even then, IN might still be the best option.)

#6 Bolster, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  7. michael e

michael e
    Expand Collapse

After having family that tried to leave for the last 2 hurricanes and sit in traffic for 10+ hours to get 100 miles away, I will not leave.

8. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

We have the ability ta do either.'08.

9. Reaver2218

Reaver2218
    Expand Collapse

bug in until it is absolutely necessary for me to leave and at that point in time my house would have to be burning down around me.

10. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Buy then It'll be too late.'08.

11. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric
    Expand Collapse
    .45 ACP

I live in an apartment. It's better for me to bug in to weather out the storm. After the storm is settled then I'll bug out to my friend's land. I'll try my best to bug out if I had the opportunity to do that.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

I am in general a big fan of Bug In for the reasons mentioned. I have three kids. Bug Out is a tough deal and dangerous for me.

BUT: I keep in mind the reality/need for bug out.

Hurricane Cat 5, for example. While I am on high enough ground to make it, it's time to go. My hurricane plan has distinct categories of "prepare to leave at level X" and "leave at level Y" That includes things like where to go and securing reservations etc...

My general disposition is that if I CAN'T leave before hand - I need to ride it out. But, if necessary, for example, I keep ALL of the camp gear packed and ready to go. I can toss tents, bags, lights, kitchen set, and stored food boxes in the van and be ready in 15 minutes.

So I think it was said best above: 90% In / 10% Out. With some specific situations and plans and preps for going.

13. coastal4974

coastal4974
    Expand Collapse

Unless it’s fire or a cat 3+, I’m safer in.

14. GlockPride

GlockPride
    Expand Collapse
    Glock 23

I think for the vast majority of people bugging IN is where it's at: comfort, probably have most of your supplies there, knowledge of immediate and general area and use it on a regular basis and overall familiarity would be hard to beat in a time of crisis.
    However, everyone should at least scout and consider an alternate location due circumstances beyond control such as: tornados, fires, earthquakes, storm, riots, etc. shelter is key and water is crucial. All else is secondary. Security and food are important but not as much as the feeling and actually usefulness of a roof and hydration. Work from that and give yourself a couple of routes or three to get there.

15. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

I think you would have to be so rich that you have two equally stocked homes that are close enough to get from one to the other, while being far enough apart so one is better then the other for whatever shtf is going on, for bugging out to be the default answer.

16. ca survivor

ca survivor
    Expand Collapse

I will not leave.

17. glockeglock

glockeglock
    Expand Collapse

#17 glockeglock, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  18. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974
    Expand Collapse

:wave:

So far, this is the best response I've gotten here! My alternate BUG IN spot is my hunting camp close by. I won't go into details about what's cached there, but I can stay comfortably for a while. :whistling:

19. inzone

inzone
    Expand Collapse

This is my home...I might send my kids and wife to be with relatives in the safe mountains but I fly the American flag out front that says to me, I stay and fight...... besides, I am too damn lazy to load all those cases of ammo into my truck and a uhaul...... I have a small group of patriot minded folks and I think we will just give them the lead first.... plenty of potable water, plenty of beans and rice in buckets and plenty of Jack Daniels too..... I'm an old veteran and have lived a damn fine life so I can handle what comes.... note to self....maybe more Jack Daniels when its on sale at Costco !!!! Whiskey and gunpowder....the patriots arsenal!

20. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I will not bug out unless the risk of staying exceeds all of the risks associated with bugging out. Bugging out involves many new challenges - risk of being attacked as you pass through other areas, risk of your vehicle being rendered useless (e.g., roads are not passible), inability to take as much supplies (although some have ample supplies at their BOL), etc.

I do have plans for bugging out for a variety of reasons. For example, I live close enough to train tracks to be concerned over a catastrophic derailment. Yes, we'd likely make our way to a hotel. However if everyone in the towns are trying to evacuate at the same time, it would be beneficial to have food, water, extra fuel, etc...all of which I have. That's just one bug out scenario.