close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bug out motorcycle... what would you recomend???

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by mixflip, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

I was browsing my local craigslist and stumbled across a few 1970's and 80's enduros/dual sports for dirt cheap. Under $1000 and running.

Many had no titles hence the low price I would assume. This had me thinking... maybe an old carburated enduro might actually make for a decent bug out vehicle? Keep a few electronic spare parts on hand in case of an EMP if you even need any at all in some cases?

It could zig zag around the sea of clogged cars on the road. I saw a picture of an entire Malaysian family of 4 on a scooter heading for high ground last week during their tsunami warning. lol.

What would you motorcycle experts recommend?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I recommend not bugging out on a motorcycle. They don't haul supplies very well or offer any protection from bad weather, bullets, etc. A 4WD SUV would be a much better choice.

3. Dexters

Dexters
    Expand Collapse

First research about EMPs - carburated not needed.

Protect battery and computer of a modern one at home and you are OK. Research that.

Focus on getting it quiet and how/what to load it.

Then research you route to your bug out location.

4. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

KISS.A simple solid Harley or Can-Am.'08.

5. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

No title?:alex:

6. itstime

itstime
    Expand Collapse

Your thinking is the same as mine. Old on/offs will just go. If they are two stroke I would opt for injection and not premix. Keeps it simpler.

I wouldn't use it as my only vehicle but have one for what they are for. Strap it to an SUV .

I have an old Honda just for this purpose.

7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix
    Expand Collapse
    Anti-Federalist
    CLM

Urban gridlock? Bicycle :supergrin:

8. sebecman

sebecman
    Expand Collapse

I dont' understand this "no title" concern.

In Maine anyway, if a vehicle is more than 12 years old you don't need a title.

:dunno:

9. Rcsteffen

Rcsteffen
    Expand Collapse

Military klr650 converted to diesel. Out just a gas version...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. F_G

F_G
    Expand Collapse

That's what I was thinkin'.
    [​IMG]

11. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Probably a better choice, as is a horse. Neither requires you to carry gas and both are quiet. Honestly, a motorcycle is the worst SHTF/survival vehicle I can imagine.

If you want a motorcycle, just get one, but don't pretend it's for survival.

#11 Bren, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  12. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

Lol I just realized that I could build a faraday cage to park the bike in since it would be just sitting around as a bug out vehicle and not a primary commuter. That means I dont really need to worry about the computer on a modern bike. I have seen a few early 90's dual sports for less than $1500 and they were street legal!

I would love to have one of those old military diesel KLR's but they are hard to find.

I agree supplies and family are a major issue with a bike but as someone already mentioned...it would be nice to have a dual sport sitting in the back of my truck as a backup BOV.

I agree a bike would not provide any protection from foul weather or zombies but it also doesnt get stuck in traffic as easy as a car/truck so its not 100% useless.

As for a horse? I live in a gated community in a city of 2 million+. The cost of maintaining a horse in the meantime, before a SHTF is just not practical for me. You still have to feed and water a horse and it too suffers from the lack of protection from the weather and bad guys projectiles.

Now I do know there are a few rich guys a mile away from me who have ranches and horses but trying to take one of their horses in a SHTF event would most likely get me ventilated with a hunting rifle? Unless of course they bugged out and left a few horses behind?

#12 mixflip, Apr 25, 2012
  13. Prothos

Prothos
    Expand Collapse

14. dissthis

dissthis
    Expand Collapse
    Gun Fan

I have a 1999 KTM L4...enduro...I wouldn't really bug out on it as I couldn't carry enough stuff or the wife and kids on it too...

I might use it to get somewhere quickly if SHTF; like to go the 5 miles to check on my parents/sister...

Maybe use it to scout ahead if wife is driving with kids in the SUV,

I have a trailer hitch carrier that IF (don't plan on it) I ever did bug out I would drive the SUV and carry the bike.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

16. Donn57

Donn57
    Expand Collapse
    Just me

Motorcycles just can't carry enough to be a practical bug out vehicle. I'm not sure why carrying one on or in your primary bug out vehicle is worth wasting the space it takes up. Whether you launch it from home or from the back of your bug out truck, the same problems exist.

I do kind of like the idea of using for short trips or as a scouting vehicle, tho.

17. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

The idea of a bike for my 5 mile bubble to get supplies or check on friends and neighbors etc etc really does make sense. Fast, in and out and never blocked in.

The bike as a scout vehicle also makes sense. Once you make it to your bug out location a bike would make for a good scout vehicle in deed.

I am not a fan of bugging out in general. It would have to be the last ditch option for me to bug out and leave all my major assets behind.

18. mac66

mac66
    Expand Collapse
    Huge Member
    Millennium Member

I rode my 1969 Honda Trail 90 from my home north of Detroit, over to Canada, around Lake Huron and back a couple of summers ago. I carried every thing I need to camp for 10 days and with side trips did about 600 miles by my self. Had a couple of flat tires and fouled a plug, otherwise no problems though I only averaged about 35 MPH and of course it was butt numbing and back breaking.

I have a 75 Honda XL175 I bought 10 years ago for $300. I and have ridden it from my home to northern Michigan a couple times on back roads. With a rack on the back, saddle bags and extra fuel cans I can make it the 180 miles without stopping.

I also did a lot of dual sport motorcycling back in the day on a Suzuki DRZ400s.

So yeah, bugging out on small motorcycles and even scooters can be done. The old jap bikes are pretty much bullet proof, are cheap and fun to rebuild.

My suggestion is go to to adventurerider.com and look in the various forums for tips on how to pack and what to take. There is a forum called minimalist touring in which people go all over the world on 250cc and smaller bikes. That's where I got my inspiration for my around the lake ride.

19. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

Actually my Suzuki V-Strom (aka DL-1000....Dual Sport 1000cc V-Twin) is a good choice for a 'Bug-out Bike' for a big guy with lots-of-gear!

Can carry hundreds of pounds & still be maneuverable..

..has lots of torque, a high ground clearance, fairly quiet & is a reliable platform.

[​IMG]

Also the KLR-650, BMW GS series, Suzuki DL-650 (aka Wee-Strom) or similar are good choices also..

All can go many places larger 4WD vehicles simply cannot..

..such as narrow trails..

.. or especially concerning a bug-out....serious traffic jams..

..think "Deep Impact Traffic Jam Scene"!

[​IMG]

Last week....there was a very serious traffic jam due to an 18 wheeler accident on I-40...

..vehicles backed for miles & miles...

..but was able to negotiate the jam fairly easily on the bike.

Not the 1st time I have done similar..

..that "plus" could be life saving in an actual bug-out for those of you in urban areas! :supergrin:

Someone riding shotgun (& especially if riding in groups) could dissuade the lowlifes from blocking your egress..

..a bug-out would be a good time to wear body armor under your motorcycle jackets..

..and learn to effectively target your firearms while maneuvering at speed...now!

(BTW...have a full set of tools & EMP shielded electronic spares for the bike as well)

YMMV

#19 LongGun1, Apr 25, 2012
  20. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

That scene where Elijia Wood took his motorcycle and got out of the death trap freeway and ran for high ground on it always sticks in my mind when I think of motorcycle bug outs.

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I'd love to get a dual sport and take a ride out to the grand canyon, route 66, 4 corners, arches ntl park, Zion and back to Vegas.

#20 mixflip, Apr 25, 2012