close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bug-out bag in the Philippine setting?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by mikey177, Jul 30, 2004.

1. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    Have you guys ever put together a "bug-out bag"?

If so, what scenario/s do you envision using it for? How big is it and what equipment or materials did you include in it?

I'm currently thinking about getting one ready, but I want some inputs from you on whether it would be a practical approach in the RP setting if ever there was a need to quickly get away from one's residence due to some threat.

2. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    mountain bike and gear, cell phone w/ radio plus exyra batt., vhf radio , power gels, hydration pack ,

scenario ; wala ako maisip, but I'm planning a mindoro trip and thats what I plan on bringin

3. revo

revo

Apr 27, 2003
    A bug-out bag or 'BOB' for short is a collection of survival gear that you keep handy to take with you just in case you encounter a disaster, emergency or catastrophic situation.

To bug-out means to immediately leave or escape or evade capture.

Emergencies may be fire, flood, civil unrest, riots, natural calamities, hostile invasion, terrorist attacks, war, etc.

Since I live in California and the question referred to a PHilippine setting, I'll defer to those residing sa inangbayan.

But I do maintain a bug-out bag nonethless.

4. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Bug-Out Bag?
    I'll give it a shot.

bottled water
    dried food rations
    1 handgun, 100 rounds ammo
    1 long arm, 200 rounds ammo
    MultiTool
    cash USD
    cash PhP
    passport
    Faraday flashlight
    Faraday radio
    Toilet Paper
    Med kit
    SS three-pot food-ruck
    Eating utensils
    Magnifying lens, Matches, Flint & Steel
    Bible

That's actually 2 bags' worth right there :)

My spouse and anyone else with me would pack about the same.
    If motor-vehicle-use is allowed in any putative bug-out scenario,
    I'd pack even more stuff, including fishing gear.

I'd head for Bataan if it was really bad.
    Lots of good places to hold out there.
    I don't think I'd ever bail on the country in a pinch,
    and there've been times in the past when there seemed
    good enough excuse to skip out.

5. revo

revo

Apr 27, 2003
    horge sir,

A few suggestions for certain items-

1) A good pair of sunglasses

2) signalling mirror. The correct type of mirror can signal a plane
    for rescue.

3) replace your usual belt with a belt that can be used as a weapon
    also - a good thick belt that you hang stuff on

4) If you have the money, replace your water bottle with a Camelbak
    or similar bladder. You can carry more and you can keep moving while drinking.

5) Emergency reflective blankets - 2 - you might have to stop somewhere at night to sleep and it's cold.

6) If it's the rainy season, you will need rainwear.

7) Your clothing, shoes and headwear might be inappropriate for a bug-out situation.

One last point, in the Philippines, if the Nice-People-Around saw you walking around with weapons, isn't that an invitation to be ambushed.

6. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Sep 15, 2001
    19th Hole
    The cars in my household carry "Earthquake Kits" just like the Bug out Bag. I do however have flares, two sets of clothes (mine and the Mrs.) MRE's (Meals-Ready-to-Eat) and bottled water in addition to the items previously mentioned in this thread. MRE's shelf life is 5 years. These IMO are the best items you want to include in your BOB. These items never leave the vehicles. Don't forget medication, matches, and can opener. I have been told that keeping water (even bottled) for long periods of time in a hot vehicle is not wise due to bacterial growth. Is this true?

7. revo

revo

Apr 27, 2003
    jerrytrini, sir,

I don't think they have access to MREs in the Phil.

Also, yes. you are correct. It is not good to keep bottled
    water for a long time without consuming it.

8. Kiddo

Kiddo

Jun 14, 2003
    I've seen MREs being sold here in one of our local gunstores. I'll check it out later. :)

9. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines

Oo nga, I'm buggin out to mindoro to escape a natural calamity
    My ex

10. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    ;z ;z
    Sarap nyan Allegra, mtb sa mindoro. Baka hindi ka na bumalik..hehe;f ;f

11. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    MREs are plenty at those PX stores in N. Domingo right behind Broadway Centrum. In my early mountaineering days, MREs made up the bulk of my food supply. Love the chocolates but I hate the dried meat, tasted like dog food;g

awoooo!;z

isang latang skyflakes na lang ang babaunin ko, at least malutong kahit anong ipatong!;f

12. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    This is why I am having a hard time deciding on the configuration of a BOB. On one hand, I'd like to bring a good selection of tools and supplies that I may need, and on the other hand, I want to be able to move about freely and inconspicuously, which means those large mountaineering backpacks are probably out of the question. In most scenarios, it would probably also mean bugging out with just a concealed pistol, since I wouldn't want to attract undue attention to myself by carrying a shotgun or rifle around on foot.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input. Just keep 'em coming. I wonder if they have MREs here in the province.

13. I simply keep an ample supply of canned food available, and add to it+ buy gallons of water if there is some possible crisis coming up.

Beyond that, I feel safer in my condo than anywhere. I can hold off an army coming up the stairs.

What kind of civil disruption are we talking about? I think of temporary things like a Luzon-wide power outtage for a week, the assassination of some government officials, FPJ-lovers rioting in the streets/looting shopping malls , things like that.

14. Kiddo

Kiddo

Jun 14, 2003
    IMHO anyone who plans to have a Bug-out bag should have two. One is a smaller one, just a small backpack with one MRE, trauma kit and the essensials, while the other a bigger one with full first-aid kits, lots of meals and water and a small cache of ammo. The bigger one is for the car, and the smaller one is the one you carry on your back when you move around on foot. I also plan to make but still have no specific idea on what to carry. Lets start with the smaller pack. What would you guys carry? :)

15. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    mikey,

check out habagat's viajero backpack, it can also be carried like a suitcase. its made of dupont cordura, strength tested ladder locks, front panel loading for both major and minor compartments. its a pretty sturdy bag!

16. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines

hehe did my thesis there errr...12 years ago

This is why I am having a hard time deciding on the configuration of a BOB. On one hand, I'd like to bring a good selection of tools and supplies that I may need, and on the other hand, I want to be able to move about freely and inconspicuously, which means those large mountaineering backpacks are probably out of the question. In most scenarios, it would probably also mean bugging out with just a concealed pistol, since I wouldn't want to attract undue attention to myself by carrying a shotgun or rifle around on foot.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input. Just keep 'em coming. I wonder if they have MREs here in the province

ang bigat ng mre's and they take up too much space
    power gel, century tuna, at saging lang :)
    Lahat ng magkakasya lang sa camelback hawg plus a beltbag with the pistol , ammo, money, condom ( for carrying more water :))
    Once you get to the provinces, mura na pagkain
    3 guys with a grand each can last a week in the boondocks

17. rhino465

rhino465

Sep 24, 2003
    Indiana, USA
    If you're having trouble deciding between lightweight and comprehensive assortment of gear and supplies, go "modular."

Pick the bare essentials you need and put them in the smallest carrier or bag that will hold them. No matter what, you won't let go of that.

Get a few other bags/containers, and put "modules" of related gears and supplies together.

Put it all in one huge duffle or backpack which you will use mostly to transfer too and from your home and vehicle.

If you have time and the luxury of your truck or car, you take the whole thing. When you have to go on foot, then you can leave behind things as you need to decrease weight, starting with the least essential and working toward what you absolutely need no matter what.

You can't have too much gear that way. If you can't carry it, you just leave it behind.

18. revo

revo

Apr 27, 2003
    This is how I tier or organize my survival gear

1) Basic Level - Gear I always carry

2) 72-Hour Kit - Gear intended for survival for 72 hours - all conditions

Add - ons

a) Add-ons for desert/arid conditions or summer

b) Add-ons For Fall or Wet conditions

c) Add-ons For Winter/Snowfall conditions

d) Add-ons For Hostile Environment - Evasive

e) Add-ons For Hostile Environment - Defensive

19. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

in my experience.

these will all fit in one Military back pack

1 LONG malong
    1 hammock made of parca
    1 5*7 feet sheet of parca for use as tent
    2 decent sets of clothes
    3 pairs of parca jogging pants
    3 long sleeves dark colored camisa chino
    1 pair of beachwalk sandals
    1 bottle of Aralen
    1 bottle of puritabs
    1 good flahlight
    1 mono AM radio
    lots of batteries
    1 poncho and poncho liner
    1 good all purpose knife
    Leatherman wave
    1 good sling shot
    1 plastic cup
    1 plastic plate
    water canteen
    MREs? canned foods and lots of Nesvita
    a good pair of sunglasses
    3 tubaos
    1 mid size towel
    toothbrush
    soap
    a bottle of shampoo
    ATM card
    call cards
    at least P10,000.00 cash
    vhf radio for monitoring radio traffic
    personal size cooking pot
    medkit
    lighter
    mosquito repellent

1 M14 rifle with at least 200 rounds of ammo
    1 .22 6 inch barrel revolver
    1 .357 revolver, lots of ammo and at least 4 speed loaders
    1 web gear
    1 good wristwatch

1 Robertsons (Chuck Taylor style) sneakers (much better than combat boots)

That's about it

20. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    darwin, care to elaborate on the above items you listed? i'm not familiar with those. What is a parca? the aralen and tubaos?