close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Buffalo Bore Question

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by 07 LMB Z06, Mar 27, 2010.

1. 07 LMB Z06

07 LMB Z06

Dec 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I bought a box of 180 gr Buffalo Bore JHP's about a month or two ago.

Now I have been reading that Buffalo Bore and Double Tap are using Montana Gold bullets instead of Gold Dots in some of their setups. I don't know much about any of this, but the consensus seems to be that the Montana Golds are a step down.

My question is, if my box of Buffalo Bore JHP's still says "Gold Dot" on it did I get lucky and get a box of the better bullets? When looking at pictures of the Montana Gold bullets online they look identical to the Buffalo Bores I received. Did Buffalo Bore just not change the writing on the box?

If they're the Montana Gold I will probably just shoot off the last 15 I have (they are A LOT of fun to shoot), and just use the Double Tap Bonded Defense for home defense.

Edit: Link to thread with picture of the box I received.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188228

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT
    I heard a few guys ordered some BB 180s from Cabela's and they did in fact have MG bullets. I also recently found out that DT is also using MG. Hornady is backed up by over a year from what DT told me last week. Good luck fellow Z06er!

DH

3. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Feb 28, 2001
    Midwest
    I have an old box of BB marked like that. Just haven't got around to shooting it yet.

So, ... either you received a box of old stock with real 180gn GDHPs or you've got new stock w/ Montana Gold bullets packaged in the OLD boxes still marked for the GDs. :dunno:

:cool:

4. 07 LMB Z06

07 LMB Z06

Dec 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the quick reply, DH. Finally had a chance to take it out this past week. Can't get the :supergrin: off my face. Hope you've had a chance to do the same!

Interesting, and thank you for the info. :thumbsup:

5. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT

Sure did!! :wavey: And the icing on the cake was taking it to the range with my new G20sf through all the twisty roads. :)

DH

6. G20gunner

G20gunner

Mar 7, 2010
    As far as accuracy, there's not a thing wrong with Montana Gold bullets. It's just that they don't expand like XTP's or Gold Dots. They are not bonded bullets, and they use a hard lead alloy in them. In a word, they were made for target work, not self defense.

G20gunner:wavey:

7. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    If they are brass colored with a smallish hollow point then they are the MG bullets. The box would be incorrectly marked. GDHPs are copper jacketed and have a wide hollow point.