close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bud's Used "Police" 870? Is This An 870P?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Restless28, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

2. Morris

Morris
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Most LE 870s were the Police. A few agencies cheaped out and got express models.

Looks like what is now referred to as a P to me with a Speedfeed forend. Good price.

3. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

Where are the rest of the 870 folks?! :wavey:

I'm ready to buy if this is the P and ya'll all think this is a good price!

4. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

P or not - hit it! Hit it now! Before you change your mind!!!!!

Likely a P though...

5. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

For better or worse, I took Aceman's prodding to heart, and just ordered the 20-inch 870 for $299.

I hope that I didn't screw up! :dunno:

6. JBnTX

JBnTX
    Expand Collapse
    Texas

.deleted

#6 JBnTX, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  7. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

No - but it's a typical one out of however many they have...only difference is where the clip marks are from being placed in/out of the car/trunk.

8. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

9. JBnTX

JBnTX
    Expand Collapse
    Texas

deketd

#9 JBnTX, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  10. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

That may not be a good price. $300 for a older used 870 is not that great and as these are duty weapons they have most likely been abused and neglected. many cops today have very little respect for the shotgun and don't give it the care and attention they do thier handguns or AR's . Also, since they don't own the weapon they treat them about as bad as they treat the Department vehicle. Now, if you can hold the weapon, break it down and inspect it then it may be worth it. I did a thread on buying used "Police weapons sight unseen". So, if there is a return clause and you can inspect the weapon and return it is there are major issues, then you are looking at an OK deal but only OK at best.

Where guys are messing up here is thinking that this weapon is any different then any 870 they can buy today. It is not. Yes, it was parkerized but that finish will be very worn and you are looking at refinishing it anyway. Yes there are a couple parts different but they are worn and may need replacing so you have to buy them anyway and some other you would not have to buy if the weapon was new. So buying an Express tactical, refinish with parkerizing or God forbid paint it if that was what you would do to refinish that used one. Change out two small parts and you now have the same weapon but new for the the same money. You just will not have the word "police" on it and if that is important to you then my advise is being wasted.

This is what I do for a living. Departments send their Remington shotguns to me for refinishing and rebuilding. I know about the condition of these type of weapons, the abuse and the neglect. Yes, some come in and are fine and have been cared for but that is the exception not the rule. It have shocking stories about these weapons.

As for buying sight unseen. A client bought and extension and tune up parts from me for a Police trade in he bought from Gun Broker. the issue was the weapon was manufactures in 1994 but the barrel in 1985. So the stand off distance had changed and the tube would not work. How did this happen. Easy, when weapons are going for trade in some Department Armorers scavenger the best parts and keep them. They trade in the mess. Just as some of you take those like new tires off a car before you trade it in. S0, How old are they? If these are older Wingmaster versions and need flex tab upgrades you are looking at $90 right there. What is the condition of the chamber, bore and if those are pre 1990 barrels with the longer stand off you have an issue with the extension. They should not have this issue but were barrels traded out prior to trade in? Don't know, do you? This is why sight unseen Department trade ins are a problem.

The good thing about these is that Bud's is a good seller and good to do business with. So you can roll the dice and hope for the best. If anything really bad happened Bud's will stand behind it. Still, there is risk as they are used and you have to expect some issues as you can be assured a volume seller like them did not have the time to break these weapons down, survey them and funtion test them.

And yes, I know that some of you have gotten great deals on these weapons from the internet when you were not able to see them first. But more of you got great deals because you were able to see the weapon and you have the knowledge to know what to check on the weapon. Please don't confuse the two.

11. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

I've bought a few things from Buds and they've always been top notch, so I have two of these coming. First one will get here Tues, so I'll let you guys know how they look.

12. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

All great advice - but I think your job and general attention to detail and quality and work on the high end has skewed your perception a bit!

Restless needs to compliment his Glock with a SHTF long gun. He's been ultra-indecisive for over a year.

And it's an 870 from a reputable source. It can't be BAD, it just may not be the GREATEST. But it's absolutely what he needs - before he changes his mind!!!!!

13. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

I understand your point ACE. The fact that Bud's is selling these also up's the deal as they will stand behind them.

The only other thing is, right now the 25077 is a geat deal with a $30 rebate. they run around $330 so he is getting a new 870 with 18.5" barrel, bead sight, Remington LE tube Extension, synthetic rear stocks and Speedfeed LE forend. It is factory new and no risk. He shoots the hell out of it for a year, then upgrades the Extractor and carrier dog spring for about $18. He has a new weapon for the same money. Same weapon but new. Oh, he won't have the word police on it but with those two parts it is the same except for the finish and the trigger plate housing.

I recommend the new one as the OP may not be able to bring this used one up to duty qualtiy and may have pay to have some things done to it. Gun Smith fees and parts could add up. There is a risk. The new 870 HD is under warranty for two years. I see the new one as a better deal for him.

#13 aippi, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  14. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

J.D. is right. After thinking about this, the 5077 makes more sense. I need to cancel this order. I should have re-read J.D.'s advice. :embarassed:

15. ET.

ET.
    Expand Collapse

Great...another year!:faint:

16. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

FYI, I used this year to get out of credit card debt and make a financial plan to be fiscally sound and safe for the future. :wavey:

I like guns, but, I like financial peace and security more. :supergrin:

17. B.Reid

B.Reid
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a good gun to me.

18. Willamette

Willamette
    Expand Collapse

I've got one of these coming too (ordered yesterday before finding this thread).

Some details were not exactly clear on their site given only the stock photo, but they offer to return the gun from my FFL at their cost if I'm not happy (providing you and the FFL haven't processed the BG check/paperwork [10% restock fee though]).

Look forward to hearing what MD357 has to say on the condition of his when it arrives today.

#18 Willamette, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  19. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

I cancelled mine. I believe J.D. is accurate in saying that a 5077 is a better deal at $339.

20. rem2429

rem2429
    Expand Collapse

:crying:
    I agree. Get out of debt before buying guns. In the mean time look around. I found a special purpose police model for $150 at cabelas a couple of years ago. It needed refinishing, but I have a duracoat set up. It's more fun to build it yourself anyway.