close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Brown Bear 9mm ammo.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by DLL9mm, Mar 15, 2009.

1. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Feb 8, 2009
    MICHIGAN
  2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Yup, steel cased ammo is tough on Glock extractors. When I have to buy ammo, I get Winchester USA, Blazer or American Eagle.

3. CableRouter

CableRouter

Jul 26, 2008
    My G19 is quite happy on a steady diet of Brown Bear. The money you save shooting the cheap stuff will more than pay for an $18 extractor when it comes time to get a new one.

4. cdemarse

cdemarse NRA Life Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Illinois
    The problem I have is that its cheaper for me to shoot brass. I can get 100 value packs of WWB at my local wal-mart for $19. With tax thats still cheaper than I can find wolf of brown bear.

Oh well I guess I will just have to deal with it. :whistling:

Edit* On the other hand I shoot a lot of Wolf MC threw my AR's with no problems.

5. Headcase_Fargone

Headcase_Fargone

Jan 23, 2009
    Your WalMart has ammo in stock? Where do you live, Canada?

6. cdemarse

cdemarse NRA Life Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Illinois
    Yes sir. I am in the greatest, most honest stat in the country...IL :upeyes:

I was just there yesterday(wal-mart) and they were running low on 9mm and 45. Had a couple boxes of each but I already have.....enough :whistling:

Hell they even had the 100 round value packs of federal .223, they were $40.

I picked up some winchester value packs of 12 gauge slugs, buck, and birdshot.

And across the road we have a "farm store" called Big-R. They have ANY type of ammo you can think of in stock. About a dollar of two more than Wal-mart so prices are still good.

7. bluejdixon

bluejdixon Ammo Hoarder

*pokes his Canadian head in*

There is not a Walmart around me that carries ANY handgun ammunition.

8. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

Apr 26, 2004
    College Station, Texas
    I've fired several thousands of the stuff through my G17, G19, and G26 without a hitch.

Extractors aren't any worse for wear. I don't see how mild steel cases are hard on hardened steel extractors.

9. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I've got about 2000 rounds of the Monarch Steel from Academy through several Glocks with no problems. I think it is the same stuff as the Brown Bear, Barnaul IIRC.

10. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Feb 8, 2009
    MICHIGAN
    All my Walmarts have been sold out of 9mm, 40, and .45 for a while. Everytime they get a shipment, someone comes in and buy EVERY single box! SO I figured I would order 500 more rounds of Brown Bear to avoid the stress and hassle of dealing with Walmart. I know I could get WWB or Blazer for the same price(If I go to Walmart everyday) I know this ammo is accurate and reliable because I already have a few hundred rounds. I shot a lot of this in my 17 and it preformed fine. I took my 19 out today and shot 150 rounds of Brown Bear with no problems. I just want an honest opinion, Should I order a replacement extractor Just in case? I really don't want to have mine go out on me. Thanks for everyones help!

11. cdemarse

cdemarse NRA Life Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Illinois
    In you opinion how much dirtier was the bear than WWB?

Thanks

12. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Feb 8, 2009
    MICHIGAN
    They both are about the same in my opinion. I usually shoot about 100-200 rounds everytime I go to the range, and after when I clean them, I don't notice a whole lot of difference. The dirtiest ammo I have ever used would have to be Aguila. I bought a couple boxes of .45, and my g36 was filthy afterwards(50rds)

13. W.E.G.

W.E.G.

Sep 20, 2005
    all over Virginia
    Reviving this thread from 2009.

Brown Bear prices are down.

Is this stuff still running without issue in Glocks?

14. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Feb 8, 2009
    MICHIGAN
    No issues at all in a G17 and a G19(about 1500rounds) Just a bad smell :supergrin:

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I shot 500 Brown Bear through my G26. No issues other than the bad smell it left behind. Had to thoroughly clean everything including detail stripping the slide to get it all out.

I use Silver Bear now. It doesn't have the bad smell and it's only slightly more expensive (like 50 cents a box).

16. 2afreedom

2afreedom

May 6, 2007
    The South
    I have put several thousand of the cheapest steel-cased ammo I can find through my Glock 19. It has all of the original parts and has never had a hiccup. Any cheap practice ammo will be dirty-American, Russian, whatever. Buy the cheapest ammo you can find to punch paper and clean your gun regularly. Carry quality SD ammo. Test your SD ammo to be sure it cycles well in your firearm. Sleep well at night.

17. joemal

joemal

Jun 11, 2010
    I've fired hundreds of rounds with this stuff....G17 still goes BANG

18. If you can get steel ammo cheaper than brass, go ahead. You can always buy a $20 extractor if you do manage to wear one out. Just don't use cheap Russian ammo for anything serious like self-defence or competition.

19. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    Not the best ammo in the world in that it can shoot pretty dirty and the steel is tougher on a firearm than brass. But, unless you plan to shoot 80,000 rounds through your carry pistol, just to say you did - your extractor should be fine. If your gun will shoot this reliably, go for it.

20. TwentyNizzo

TwentyNizzo

Feb 23, 2010
    Ive been buying Federal 115 gr FMJ from Walmart for $9.47/50. At that price it makes no sense for me to but the Brown Bear, although I am a fan of their 223. The only downside is that they limit me to 6 boxes of ammo.