close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Broke my second mag release spring!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by whatsupglock, Feb 19, 2012.

1. whatsupglock

whatsupglock

Nov 20, 2009
    So I've broken my second magazine release spring in less than a year in my trusty Glock 34. I would like to think it's because I have superhuman strength and blazing fast reloads, but I doubt that is the cause.

I will be calling Glock on Monday just to let them know. I don't expect them to do anything but I feel like they should know. I'm on my third one now in the same gun. I bought 2 extras thinking I'd never need to buy anymore. I guess I thought wrong.

This is just a little crazy.

2. tango44

tango44

Jun 16, 2005
    Miami Florida
    If the spring which is a metal straight bar is installed in the wrong position could broke very easy, make sure is installed in the right way.

3. whatsupglock

whatsupglock

Nov 20, 2009
    hmmm....it's a straight piece of wire. How can it be installed incorrectly? Please explain. I'm very interested.

4. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    You gotz ta reloads slower!

5. mds1140

mds1140 nobody Silver Member

Jun 24, 2003
    W-WA
    Dang, I've never even considered stocking up on those....guess I better order a few. I have never heard of one breaking.

6. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    Me too neither!

OP, what were you doing when they broke?

7. whatsupglock

whatsupglock

Nov 20, 2009
    Both times I was practicing reloads while sitting on the couch watching tv. Empty gun and empty mags. Push in release, mag fell out, release stayed pushed in, and the spring was broken in to 2 pieces.

8. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    Oont, did ya father beat you vhen you vas a kit ? Hmmm?
    How many times do you do this ?

9. SCC

SCC Member Me

Jun 10, 2007
    kennesaw GA.
    thats a new one on me !!!

10. sentian

sentian

Feb 7, 2012

Yes can you please explain this? When i swapped my release to lefty mode, i didn't see any difference.. but i would hate to brake a spring in a gun that has had less than 500 rounds through it.........

11. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    I busted mine too. It lasted about 1 year/20K live rounds, and I would guess about 10K reloads, considering live and dry. Could be a real heartbreaker to have this fail in a match.

12. SCC

SCC Member Me

Jun 10, 2007
    kennesaw GA.
    can you post pic's of the broken spring ?

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Crazy alright. I've known people to shoot the same Glock for many years in competition with no problems from the mag release. The only one I ever heard of breaking a magazine release spring had the spring bent to make it easier to drop magazines.

14. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    What Glocks are you two talking about? Gen4's?

15. Snooch..!!!

Snooch..!!! señor snooch..!

Aug 30, 2011
    Texas
    Wow, that's disturbing..!

Don't know that I practice as many mag changes (*fixed) as you do, but this caught my attention. It doesn't look to me that this would even be possible. The spring doesn't seem to move far enough to cause it to heat up and weaken.

I'm kind of thinking the same situation as when you bend a paperclip back and forth to break it, it heats up in the middle (the bend) weakens the steel and breaks. But we're talking about some extreme angles and a little bit of speed involved here to generate the heat.

I for one don't think practicing mag changes (*fixed) could cause this to happen fast enough.

* Between this and the GAP thread, apparently I got confused.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  16. frontier2011

frontier2011 Give Me Brass

Sep 26, 2011
    East Coast
  17. Hmmm . . . First that I have ever heard of this. Perhaps, I may pick up some extras.

18. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    Sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for grins, OE striker out of same gun:

[​IMG]

19. whatsupglock

whatsupglock

Nov 20, 2009
    Mine have both been broken in exactly the same spot in exactly the same way. Twice!!!

20. whatsupglock

whatsupglock

Nov 20, 2009
    I called Glock today. They are dumbfounded! They are sending me a bag of springs. I told the guy on the phone what happened and his exact words were, "are you shi**in' me?"