close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Broke Front Night Sight Screw During Install.

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by MrV, Feb 1, 2011.

1. MrV

MrV
    Expand Collapse

So today I finally decided I was going to install my set of Meprolight Night Sights on my G36. I went to the hardware store, picked up a 3/16 hex screw driver and a little bottle of blue Loctite. The rear sight install went great, almost too perfect. I drove the plastic, stock rear right out with a wooden dowel and a hammer. Then I slid the steel rear sight in, and carefully set it in place with the hammer and dowel.

I felt great having made it thus far, figuring the worst was over. I put a drop of loctite on the screw, and spread it around evenly with a Q-tip. Then I screwed the sight on with my hand and used my screw driver to do the rest. I tightened the sight just to the point when it seemed to be snug.

However when I went to insert my barrel, I noticed that the raised hex screw wasn't allowing it to seat properly. The slide would not seat correctly on the frame. So I striped the gun again and figured all it needed was another half turn or so...Well I gave it a slight turn and *snap* the threads snapped inside the front sight leaving only the hex portion of the screw.:steamed:

The front sight is completely FUBAR, what should I do?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. TxGun

TxGun
    Expand Collapse

The G36s are different in the clearance that is available for hex nut front sights, at least the earlier ones are. Generally speaking, you have to file down the hex nut to approximately 1/2 it's original thickness b-4 the barrel will clear it. I've done a couple of them and this worked for me, but there is not much left to grab with the driver. I've heard the latest G36s have more clearance, but I don't know that 1st hand.

#2 TxGun, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  3. cciman

cciman
    Expand Collapse

The locktight may have locked too tight.

Knock it out with a punch or dowel. Call up Mepro and see if they will send you a replacement, for free. Otherwise SOL- buy a front sight.

Next one, check the thread engagement before committing to the locktight. And or have someone else install and bear the liability.

All of mine are staked with a Glock staking tool + red locktight, and they work great. Good luck.

#3 cciman, Feb 1, 2011
  4. MrV

MrV
    Expand Collapse

Bah ****...I knew I should have quit while I was ahead. I should have been more patient.

I just tried to call them but their office is closed.

5. JTipper.45

JTipper.45
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I ran into the same prob with an early model G36 a few years ago. I had to dremel down the hex head a bit to properly clear the barrel.

6. 2ac

2ac
    Expand Collapse

Easy out drill bit maybe?

7. MrV

MrV
    Expand Collapse

Damnit...I should have read up more on installing sights specially for the 36 before attempting.

Now I have a carry weapon without sights.

An easyout bit would have to be as thing as a paper clip...But I appreciate the thought none the less

8. James5m

James5m
    Expand Collapse

If you drill and try to use a ez out Your going to have to heat up the boss area of the sight to soften the locktite before you try and back it out. Use a soldering gun.but it might loosen the capsules

my 2 cents

#8 James5m, Feb 1, 2011
  9. MrV

MrV
    Expand Collapse

Man I am so freaking upset...Stupid mistake...

10. cciman

cciman
    Expand Collapse

Not the end of the world, yule forget it by next year, maybe... gun still works fine.

In the mean time, don't shoot at anything farther than 20 feet away, which is all you really need for SD.

Don't try to kill any bears or dogs.:rofl:

#10 cciman, Feb 1, 2011
  11. Powerkicker

Powerkicker
    Expand Collapse

Put the sight in a vise. Run a drill bit smaller than the thread's inner diameter through the broken screw. Once that is done, the rest can be picked out without damaging the sight's threads enough to matter.. Ask meprolight to send you a new screw. Done.

12. Glock 17L

Glock 17L
    Expand Collapse
    *GLOCKAHOLIC*

I too would think you could drill the broken screw out & then try an use a bigger drill bit or pick to remove the broken stud..
    Some heat with a soldering iron might help soften the loctite while your trying to remove the stud or a couple drops of acetone to help wash it away..
    GOOD LUCK!

I was so easy when tightening my last one. About an inch pound or less..

13. glockvit

glockvit
    Expand Collapse
    Glock Sportsman

I would have rather pay someone with experience to do it. But man that sure is disappointing. I hope you are able to get a replacement and get it done correctly.

14. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

Put the Glock front sight back on.

Go shooting.

15. chris in va

chris in va
    Expand Collapse

I have a Dawson Precision fiber front sight if you're interested. It was a *hair* tall on my 21SF but still worked fine.

16. Glock 17L

Glock 17L
    Expand Collapse
    *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Chriss I sent you an email. If the OP can't use that Dawson I Can & live in Louisville..
    Gary

17. 220-9er

220-9er
    Expand Collapse

Try a left hand drill bit on a reversible drill. The heat of drilling will usually break the bond of the Loctite. You'll have to find a small really small drill though.

18. Brian Lee

Brian Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Drop those nuts

1.) The threads on front sights are so small that you'll never drill it straight & centered enough for an EZ-out unless you have a milling machine.

2.) Even if you have a milling machine, they don't make EZ-outs that small.

3.) Even if they did make EZ-outs that small, one of them would cost more than a new front sight does.

4.) Even if you had a non existent EZ-out, and got it for free, you could earn the money to buy a new front sight in less time than it would take to do this kind of tedious work on something so small. You'd have to mill off the broken end perfectly flat & center drill it first, or you couldn't drill it straight even with a milling machine. I know because I'm an expert at using a milling machine from when I was a tool & die maker.

Just buy a new front sight and consider it a lesson learned about tightening such small screws.

19. MrV

MrV
    Expand Collapse

That is more or less what I'm going to do...It would have never happened if I read up on sight installation specifically for the G36. I had no idea I needed to sand the head of the head so that it would fit.

Oh well, pissed money down the drain.

20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

MrV

Do not try to drill out the screw. Put the Glock sight back on and contact
    Meprolight.
    Be nice, explain what happened & ASK if they will help you with this.
    They will bend over backwards to help