close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brief Sig 238 Report (450 rounds)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by LilWolfess, Jun 21, 2010.

1. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

Well, reading all the horror stories has me kinda wondering about my little P238. I practiced up and felt comfortable with it enough to carry, but noting the jams and failures to feed reported, my confidence levels have dropped. I also don't have a decent carry holster for it yet.

Up until 348 rounds, I only had 2 failures to fire. I entirely blame those on WWB ammo. Rounds 349 and 350 jammed in feeding (original factory spring).

I cleaned and left the gun for a while, having literally no time or place to shoot it until today. I did a quick field strip, and compared the old spring to the new one I received from Sig a while back. The old spring was the length of one Hydra-Shok 9mm shorter than the new spring.

Shortly before shooting, I gave the gun another quick clean, and had it lightly oiled. With original spring in place, I put 50 flawless rounds through it. It was shooting very very well, and I was beginning to think that all the complaints were flukes (or maybe I was hoping that my gun was a good fluke?). In fact, I was doing a heck of a lot better at hitting the target and keeping tighter groups with the 238 compared to my G26.

Then, I had a jam somewhere around round 60. The bullet wouldn't fully seat in the barrel. I had to field strip the gun to get it free, and nearly couldn't get the slide off the frame. It took some wiggling and repetitive slide racking to get things freed up and separated.

The round looked no different than the others, so I poked it back in the magazine, and fired them off with no problems. It was decided that I should install the new spring to see if that would fix the problem? No dice. I had three more jams in the next 40 rounds. None were severe, I just had to pull the slide back slightly and release it again.

Can't say that I will be using this for a carry gun until the issues are resolved. This is very disappointing so far, because I am really fond of this little gun and the way it fits in my tiny paws.

One test I will attempt at my next range session will be to clean and lightly oil the gun every 50 rounds just to see if it is an issue caused by shooting cheap dirty ammo. I know I'm reaching for straws, but it is a thought.

2. F-Trooper05

F-Trooper05

Are you using the slide release lever to chamber your first round? If so, don't. The P238 functions a lot better if you rack the slide manually (It gives the slide more energy to chamber the next round, and also assures the breech face will clear the rim of the cartridge in the magazine in order to pick it up).

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The only problem I had with mine before 300 rounds was with Brown Bear FMJ.
    The SIG didn't like Brown Bear at all.
    After about 300 rounds mine continuously gave me trouble.
    As soon as I try a couple more brands of ammo I'll call SIG again to arrange for the second trip back to them.
    I don't have any confidence that they can get the gun reliable. I'm afraid, like the Mosquito, there's something faulty in the design. It seems that everyone has the same problems.

I don't expect SIG to do the right thing and have a recall on the pistols.

I hope your gun is an exception.

I'm kind of getting down on SIG. It seems like every gun I come in contact with malfunctions.
    I bought a Mosquito, bummer.
    I bought a 522, recoil assembly falls apart.
    I bought the P238. :upeyes:
    Yesterday a new shooter brought a 9mm SIG to my range, it failed to feed and eject a few times (I don't know the model).

4. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

I would love to have a 100% running P238..
    For what I've seen some of them costing a Old Colt .380 might be the best answer..

You might be getting that P238 going toward the right direction, maybe a few hundred/thousand rounds threw it may help.. But .380 ammo is expensive..

On the previous post, I've never seen a 9mm SIG ever not work 100% for me anyway..
    I wonder if the their quality control has slipped & they offer so many different models & variants anymore??

SIGs are great guns or at least they have been for me, the five I had were 100%

5. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

I've shot the Sig pro carry in .40...and every round I've seen has gone through that thing perfectly! I don't necessarily count the factory as poor quality, but the 238 needs some design fixing I believe.

6. samuse

samuse

If the gun has reputation for being unreliable, and your is unreliable, why do you want to waste time and money on the gun? Buy more ammo for your Glock.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

It can happen with any maker, even Sig.
    I had a CZ RAMI that was total garbage. I wait a year or so now on new models, let the bugs get worked out.

8. mickdundie

mickdundie

You need to keep the gun 'CLEAN'

I would try cleaning it every 25-30 rounds...it's not really a range gun, and your going to carry it 'CLEAN', right? So shoot it clean!

And I believe a read (from a reliable source) that you need to replace the recoil spring every 500 rounds:upeyes:

Just do those two things and I;ll bet she purrs like a kitten.

PM me if you want to buy a like new Crossbreed holster. (I sold my P238)

It's just like this one:http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/H...efault.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

SnapSlide (Not the MiniTuck)

Mick:thumbsup:

9. Scott_F

Scott_F

Sig fixed mine. Mine arrived with tha recoils spring flipped around the wrong way. That'll screw things up.

Let me back up. I think Sig fixed mine. 125 flawless rounds so far. Cleaned and ready to put 200 more thru it this weekend.

10. LilWolfess

LilWolfess

I haven't had the time to try out the cleaning bit, well, more I haven't had time to shoot it. I replied to your PM.

Because when this gun fires as intended, which is fairly often, I am way better with it than my glock. The only extra money I've put into the gun is ammo. Why do I keep putting money into ammo? It's fun to shoot, and it fits my tiny paws perfectly.

11. adamg01

adamg01

That is such BS! I don't care that it's not a range gun. If it can't go through 50 rounds without having to be cleaned it isn't worth having.

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Just how dirty has the gun gotten when fired one round?
    It's not unuasal for mine to jam on the 2nd or 3rd round.

At this stage of the game I'd be tickled if my P238 would fire 25-30 rounds before jamming.

My spring has needed to be replaced three times in a little over 300 rounds.

I'll take that bet.:supergrin:

13. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Now you've got me curious about mine.

I was going to go to the range anyway today, so I'll take it with me and run 50 MFS through it just to see.

So far, not a lick of trouble with mine, except for the occasional hard European primer.

14. mickdundie

mickdundie

I wasn't going to bet very much:supergrin:Maybe a nickle (I sold my p238)

15. mickdundie

mickdundie

Yep

I'm full of BS

BS Mick at your service:thumbsup:

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

:supergrin:

Well, I'm kind of stuck. I won't sell a gun if I'm having trouble with it, at least not without telling the buyer everything that's wrong with it. (If you ever wanted to buy a used car, I'm the one to buy it from. I'm cursed with the need to be up front and honest.:upeyes: )

So if SIG or I can't get this gun running reliably, I'll just have another gun paperweight to add to the few I already have around the place.

17. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

OK...back from the range.

I ran 50 rounds of MFS hardball through it. One hard primer. Absolutely no other difficulties.

I asked the very knowlegeable guys at my range, and they said that absolutely the only trouble they have seen is the occasional recoil spring problem when someone puts the spring in backwards Other than that, they have not seen a problem, period, and this is a very, very busy range with quite a few of us who frequent it having P238's.

As always, your mileage may vary, offer void where taxed, licensed or prohibited, see dealer for details, etc. ...

18. Scott_F

Scott_F

Mine arrived from the factory with the spring in backwards.

19. Defender77

Defender77

When cleaning the mags, be careful to remember exactly which way the springs go back into the mags.

I had mine reversed, and as a result the plastic piece that pushes up the rounds through the clip would not be pushed up high enough when I fired my last round...as a result the gun would not go out of battery when it was fired empty.

20. mickdundie

mickdundie

Yep. I didn't want to sell a screwed up gun either. That's why after what I had read, and what I was seeing happen to my P238, I sold it before things went south. This is the way it went down

I didn't like the recoil spring having to be replaced every 500 rounds:upeyes:

I saw the front mag lip hitting the bottom right corner of the feed ramp:upeyes:

I saw some wear beginning where the recoil guide rod rides against the barrel lug :upeyes:(at least I think that's what it's called)

I didn't like the heavy scratch marks the recoil spring was making on the barrel:upeyes:

But the P238 was 100% reliable through the 100 or so rounds I fired.

So I got $400 in trade on a S&W M&P 40c...so I was happy

Good luck with yours. I would send it in to SIG and when you get it back sell or trade it before you fire another round through it. That way you can have a clean conscience!

Good luck