close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bremerton, WA 2011 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Sep 10, 2011.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories & photos Here!

2. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

On a boat. Trying to get over there. Missed the ferry i wanted. Had to wait an hour for the next one.

3. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Good luck S. Have Fun!

4. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

Just got done. Shot mediocre. A few more c's and d's than I planned for .

Lots of helpful ro's. NO competitors helped tape. I helped tape for about 15 strings in a row with no help. I dont mind taping, but would appreciate help. Several times, i ran out of tape, went back to firing line, got more tape, finished taping the remainder of the targets, then went back to the firing line while competitors watched from the shade. It just doesnt make sense.

Side matches were fun. She said i had 1st, 2nd, 3rd place for the time being.

Ovetall, it was fun. I didnt come close to my "target" scores i had been mentally shooting for. We'll see how it all shakes out .

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  5. SARDG

SARDG

In a perfect world... the ROs would remind the other shooters to go forth and paste!

6. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

Should be a requirement somehow. Like tape, tape, on deck, shoot , next stage. Or something.

7. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

I agree S. I always paste. And just like you i might paste 7 or 8 shooters in a row while waiting to shoot. Most people just sit and watch doing nothing until they are called to shoot.

If you have two or three ppl helping paste on each setup of 5 to G and Glock'M things go so much faster for everyone, and it makes it a lot easier on the RO's.

How were your times today S. ? Did the dry fire practice on the mini targets help. BTW your mini stage setups are some of the coolest things i have seen.

8. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

I think I sorta screwed up my practice. I was really focusing on time the last few weeks. I would dry run the course of fire with a timer, imagining how fast i needed to shoot to get 6 seconds per string on glock M and 7 seconds per string on 52G.

I built up this cadence in my head. Today, rather than just shooting when i saw the correct sight picture, i shot to that rehearsed rhythm . Shot a few d's (seldom do that) and some c's

Shaved time off raw time, but added time with penalties.

I think i shot in the. 84range. My sheets are all jumbled though. Cant tell which one is civ am, or comp.

Last gssf shoot, i shot 71xx. I practiced way more this time, and shot worse. Kinda gamed myself out of it.

Oh well. Learned a lesson. Or RE-learned, i should say. Slow down and focus on fundamentals.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  9. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

I have done the same thing. Shot a 56.xx at indy in Comp, thought i had it figured out. @ Marietta one month later i tried to go faster thinking i could lower my times and ended up shooting a 78.xx. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.......How true.

10. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

Just shot Bremerton today and it was a well run match. I DID tape every chance I got, even taping in between my own shooting catagories. There were other shooters in the group I kind of followed around who also taped and helped the match move along. I got there about 11:30 and was done by 2:30 shooting 5 catagories and taking my time, so I thought it went pretty fast. I shot pretty well but I'll just see where I end up.

11. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

This was my second GSSF match and with the experience from the first I dropped almost 40 seconds off my AmCiv time and shot a low 90's this time. I don't expect to win but I was excited to come in below 100. I shot a few different categories including heavy metal which I left 2 plates standing on the first string. :crying:

I taped a couple times, I got there early enough that there wasn't a line at either the 5 to Glock or Glock'M ranges except for when I decided to go around again and compete in heavy metal. I just bought the 36 and I wasn't sure if I wanted to compete having so little trigger time on it. But I did, and it was fun. The RO's were great, the Armorer that was there was Awesome! He replaced quite a few parts and explained the reasons why while doing it.

I did get a personal best on the plates, broke into the 3 second range with my G22 with a 3.94. That totally made my day! Here is a vid of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKgl5n9jy9g

Too bad the rest of my strings weren't as good, but I hope to just keep shaving seconds off my time and someday breaking into the 70 second range.

12. Lawman223

Lawman223

Shot Bremerton yesterday. Easily the best run GSSF match I've been to, including the ones I've set up. Way to go Bremerton. I showed up about 8:45 AM. Was shooting by 9AM and done by 10AM. No waiting anywhere. Shot 5 categories because no one was waiting either. Taped in between each of my runs. Match had lots of staff. All were very helpful, even the ones that were clearly very new to the sport. Each stage did have a very capable and experienced (some like Scott Hawkins are very, very experienced, Scott can read that as old) It was a great match even if I shot the my worst match in years. Definitely can't blame it on anything or anyone but myself.

13. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

A lot of shooters sort of don't know whether the RO's want them to help paste or not. So they just hang back if they see the RO's are doing it all, thinking the RO's don't want any help.

Meanwhile, the RO's are thinking "why don't those lazy SOBs help us paste and reset?" :dunno:

It is simple lack of communication. A shooter can simply ask, "do you want help pasting"? 19 times out of 20, the RO's will say "yes". If it is the 20th where they do not want help, they will say so.

On the other hand, the RO's need to be less shy about asking the shooters to help paste.

"Hey, all y'all. If you would help to paste and reset while we ROs score and administer the next shooter, we would all get out of here sooner. Just don't tape a target until we have scored it. If in doubt, ask us. It is always safe to reset a popper. Don't ask us whether you should or not; just reset it".

That is all it takes.

Both sides simply have to make their wishes known to the other and not be shy about it.

:supergrin:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  14. Ay Dios Mio

Ay Dios Mio

I shot the match yesterday as well.

Towards the end of the day a couple of the RSOs were talking about the Armorer having a G18 they were going to shoot after the match was over. I asked if I could join them and they told me to ask Matt.

I'd had a squib in my G26 during one of my runs, so I went over to have Matt look at the gun and asked him if I could shoot the G18 too. He asked if I had factory ammo and I did and he lamented that he didn't have a 33 round magazine with him for the full experience.

I'd bought one of the Glock 33 round magazines over a year ago for no good reason...just to have it. For some reason I'd put it back in my range bag about a month ago, so I had it with me. :supergrin:

I waited around about an hour till they were breaking down the match and Matt took me off to the rifle range with a huge berm behind the lower berm and talked me through the first few magazines he loaded. He started with a 3 round mag then had me do three 5 round mags then turned me loose with my 33 round mag.

IT WAS FRICKING AWESOME!!! :wow::wow::wow:

With an aggressive stance and good trigger control I annihilated a water bottle remnant without letting the muzzle flip run away with me.

There were a few others that wanted to have a go and I offered my "stick" so they could blast away too.

After the third guy Matt asked for water 'cuz the barrel was getting hot. One of the RSO's wives who had already shot it found a bottle of leftover water that had some lemon in it and brought it over. Matt poured some of the lemon water down the inside of the breech through the barrel, racked the slide a few times and handed it off to the next guy to shoot. It worked flawlessly as did my brand new magazine. :rofl:

I'm still so stoked about getting to shoot that gun I haven't even thought about how well I did in the match.

Thanks for a great match and an even better Glock perfection experience.

Glocks rock! :wavey:

15. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

You should have shot plates with it! Hahaa! Awesome

16. OregonGlock

OregonGlock

pouring water down a hot gun doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

17. Ay Dios Mio

Ay Dios Mio

That was the first thing I said when the mag was empty...I wanna go back and shoot the plates with this. :tongueout:

It doesn't sound like a good idea, and yet pouring water on it had no negative effect whatsoever. It just kept going. :supergrin:

18. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

One year after the Missouri match wrapped up, all but the Glock Armorer, who is also one of their Sales People with a full set of Glock "samples", me, and a few other Range Officers were left, shooting the bull.

The Missouri range has permanently installed plate racks (Home of the NRA Bianchi Cup).

The Armorer broke out his G-18C. We had something like 400 rounds of factory 9mm between us.

We adjourned to the plate range.

The challenge was, "How many plates can you hit with a SINGLE burst of a full (17 round) mag?

400 rounds of empty brass later, as the smoke cleared, THREE of us had been able to hit THREE plates. Me, the Glock rep himself, and one of the other ROs. EVERYONE else had hit one or two with 17-odd rounds, full auto.

Most hit the first plate, with the rest of the mag going into the hillside, above the plates.

Rock 'N Roll is gobs of fun IF you don't have to pay for the ammo or load the mags!

But if you want to HIT what you shoot at, FIRE SEMI!

On another occasion, I was present when Chris Edwards was doing an 18 demo in the range in their old 6000 building range. They had an "eyewash" station over in the corner. When the 18 would get "too hot", Chris would take it over to the station and just run water over and through it. Then load it and shoot it again until it again got "too hot". Then repeat until the demo was over.

The 18 is an impressive piece of ordnance.

19. Ay Dios Mio

Ay Dios Mio

I didn't mind loading the magazine and I had a whole bunch of leftover ammo from the match. With 33 rounds you probably could have wiped out the entire rack once you got the hang of it in the next split second. :cool:

The water down the barrel was impressive...I shoot a beginner's match every month with 1911 guys unless it's raining and they don't want to get their guns wet. :tongueout:

What fun!!!

20. gary newport

gary newport

Well, you gotta be careful with those 1911s. They've been known to rust even when there's only a dark cloud in the sky! :supergrin: