close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Breaking news: Dismissed policeman holds tourists hostage in Manila

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by CatsMeow, Aug 22, 2010.

1. And I had to learn about it on Yahoo news:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823/ap_on_re_as/as_philippines_bus_hostages

MANILA, Philippines – A dismissed policeman armed with an automatic rifle seized a bus in the Philippine capital Monday with 26 passengers aboard, most of them South Korean tourists, in a bid to demand his reinstatement, police said.

Police sharpshooters took positions around the white-blue-red bus, which was parked near a downtown Manila park, and negotiations to free the hostages were under way, said deputy director of Manila police Alex Gutierrez.

The hostage-taker was armed with an M16 rifle and demanding that he be given back his job on the police force, Gutierrez said.

2. This has attracted international media coverage, particularly CNN.

3. What a senseless way to die and to involve so many others. What a shame!

4. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    We're a hostage drama friendly country.

5. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

Dec 24, 2004
    a place far, far away
    It's hard to stay on the sidelines, and it's rude to be a "Monday morning quarterback", so I won't.

Too bad too many people lost their lives.....

Hopefully, it will never happen again....

6. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    that was darn big hammer

galit na galit ako sa media pero I realized I'm stuck in front of the tv, watchin it all

7. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    The PNP and the media didn't learn their lessons nung Ducat hostage taking. Swerte nun, bluff si Ducat, dito natuluyan na.

San ka naman nakakita ng assault tapos may blow by blow coverage ng media, tapos yung hostage taker may TV sa loob ng bus.

Because the people have a right to know? Mas importante ba yun kesa sa safety ng hostages at safety ng assault team?

In my opinion as an observer, the ground commander bungled this one, super big time

8. BrassKnuckle

BrassKnuckle

Mar 2, 2008
    Kung kelan umaangat na sana yung tourist industry natin... Talaga nga naman ang Pinas, we always manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

9. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

Dec 24, 2004
    a place far, far away
    +1! I agree.

10. BrassKnuckle

BrassKnuckle

Mar 2, 2008
    You can say that again. I don't think he even let his swat team practice the assault on an identical bus. Ayun, dami tuloy unexpected difficulties that screwed things up for them.

11. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines

sabi sa abs they did daw, malapit sa us embassy
    Practiced the assault 8x
    Nga lang , iba talaga pag totohanan na
    when there was heavy rain at media's nakakasilaw daw na mga ilaw

Dun sa assault mismo , what went wrong?
    equipment? tactics?
    Dun sa entry ba nagsimula problema?

12. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    1. ground commander lost control. the hostage taker was provoked when he saw his brother et al being arrested. mpd tried to do this discretely,but the brother was able to escape them and go to the media. why? because they didn't cuff him, malamang kasi kabaro:whistling:

2. the blow by blow by account took out the element of surprise on the side of the assault team because the bus has a TV.

3. lack of equipment-no ladders, no tactical lights.

4. the assault was so slow and parang walang play kumbaga sa basketball, so i guess lack in training

13. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Wow. I just finished watching the highlights of the assault. Who fired the full-auto mag dump inside the bus? Hope it wasn't one of the SWAT guys.

A lot of lives were wasted today. I don't care what anybody else says but better planning and training could have saved some bloodshed.

This is bad. Very bad. I can't get over how BAD this was handled by both the PNP and the Media.

Our president is an avid shooter. He should appreciate the value of a well timed sniper shot.

Our Vice-President is a man who has excellent people skills and connects with the masses. He should know when negotiations have gone south and he should have used the presence of family to talk Mendoza down.

Our Chief PNP is a man who....well. Hehe. 'Wag nalang.

14. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    dunnga ako nagtataka, they breaking the windows pero how were they going to climb aboard?
    Pllus dapat yata they should have bought 2 or 3 smaller hammers, unless they were using that huge hammer as a diversion