Glock Talk banner

Brazilian made, not just Taurus

13K views 98 replies 31 participants last post by  bac1023 
#1 ·
Just realized that my SA loaded, that I had to send back for service was 'made in Brazil -Imbel".

My Taurus PT1911 is also made in Brazil, has more standard features and did not need factory trigger service, and cost $300 less. Hmmm...

#27 ·
That Springfield is nothing but a glorified import house is not exactly a news flash. They never made a fully made in USA 1911. I WILL concede they make a good 1911 but don't care for the deceptive advertising. Same goes for Blackhawks nylon products- made in Vietnam
The only product they ever made completely in the USA with American parts was the early m1A but that has not been the case in at least 2 decades
Well, believe it or not but most shooters or gun owners do not know that Springfield Armory is an arms merchant and not a manufacturer.

#31 · (Edited)
It's not as nice as the Ruger which is basically a stainless Caspian 1911 with above average parts. You could barely build a stainless Caspian with the parts included in the Ruger in the low $600s. I've no experience with the others you mention. The PT 1911 was a good value when it first came out but not worth what they are asking for them these days.

#39 · (Edited)
country or origin does not indicate quality nor does price.

some the best 1911s come from an island nation in the pacific and cost half that of a basic American made Colt.
I hope you're not implying the Filipino 1911s are some of the best. They're good in their price range.

When it comes to new 1911s, the price usually does equal quality.

Anybody thinking sub $500 1911s are some of the best, needs to learn a bit.

#41 · (Edited)
You're next in the 1911-snob club, SG. ;)

I nominate Joe as the president.

:rofl:
The truth is ...once you 'go bl err...better you can't go back!' :rofl:I don't have nearly as many 1911's as you guys, but the more I shoot the smooth ones, the less I enjoy the lesser worked models.

Don't forget guys, an afternoon with a single shot .22, a sammich and a cold Coca-Cola is truly nearly heaven. It's a fine hobby that we have chosen.

ETA: Bac I'll try and send you those BHP ser #'s after Christmas.
Thanks for being willing to look them up for me. Sorry for the drift but I don't expect to be on here very much over the next few days.

#42 ·
I’ve had my Taurus PT 1911 just a little less than two months with just around 700 rounds thru it and 3 pairs of grips. I’ve had zero failures. I picked it up OTD for $615. Springfield was my first choice, but no where around here to look at one, and I didn’t feel like spending the amount of money they want for them. I asked a lot of questions and held the PT 1911 before I bought it, and I’m quite pleased with my decision.

Read this sticky from the Taurus forum on the Miami factory tour two mods made. It is quite long with lots of photos and good documentary and worth the read.

#47 ·
I’ve had my Taurus PT 1911 just a little less than two months with just around 700 rounds thru it and 3 pairs of grips. I’ve had zero failures. I picked it up OTD for $615. Springfield was my first choice, but no where around here to look at one, and I didn’t feel like spending the amount of money they want for them. I asked a lot of questions and held the PT 1911 before I bought it, and I’m quite pleased with my decision.

Read this sticky from the Taurus forum on the Miami factory tour two mods made. It is quite long with lots of photos and good documentary and worth the read.
They seem to be hit or miss, a trait common to a number of Taurus semi autos. Alot of the abuse the PT1911 takes is from the ads they ran portraying it as a $1000+ gun for $500. They just were not accurate.

I liked the Para 1911s I owned, most on here do not care for that brand at all either.

This sub forum is not really a brand snob forum 95% of the time, now the Black Rifle Forum.....well that is a different story :rofl:

#51 ·
Yeah, that one is a great value. Why pay $2500 for a Wilson when you can get a Taurus for a fifth of the price with the same features? :whistling:
Then again, needing some other guy to build and improve your 1911 is like having a custom hot rod or chopper that some other guy built and not knowing how to fix it. Traditionally, the pride is in making it, not just owning it.

I'd take more pride in a Taurus that I turned into a great gun than in a Wilson I took out of a box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.