close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Brass tumbler opinions?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by coyote 30, Apr 12, 2011.

1. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

Jul 9, 2000
    Snohomish, WA. USA
    Looking to get a tumbler to clean my brass. Looking for comments on what brass tumbler to get and which ones to avoid. Also looking for one $75 and under price wise.
    My main concern is a tumbler that will last and that will hold at least 300 9mm rounds.

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I have a small Dillon bought used great tumbler.. but also have and would recommend the RCBS if buying new, good points... strong motor, relatively quiet, strainer lid, switch on cord.
    Holds about 500 pieces on 9mm. If you use the midway coupon code, it runs about your price range. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=103614

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

3. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

May 13, 2009
    NW AR
    I've read the best stuff on the Hornady one $70 or so on eBay shipped, it's sold out at midway. Since all my stuff is Hornady guess I should keep it the same.

4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    The Horandy is exactly the same as the RCBS just red of course :supergrin:

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I bought this one which is really one made by Berry MFG.http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...Ntt=tumblers&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products
    I went and used the walnut and the corn but now just buy the big bag of Walnut from Petsmart. I also put in a couple caps of Nufinish car wax found in all the auto stores and a couple caps of paint thinner. I really like the results and my guess I can tumble 20 times for I replace the walnut.

6. I'm eventually going to get a Thumler's... someday... maybe...

7. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    This one works.

[​IMG]

Works well too.

Corncob with the capful of NuFinish and two hours does wonders.

less than $40 to deliver.

If it dies, I'll let you know.

8. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

Aug 26, 2009

I've got the same one. It's out in a shed and I forgot about it when I left for the beach. It ran for a solid week with corncob nufinish/paint thiner and about 400 9mm's in it. They sure were shiny. I've had it for about 2 1/2 years. It's been over a year since the week on and it's still fine.

9. EAA10

EAA10

Mar 5, 2011
    Minnesota
    I really like the Cabelas tumbler, it has done many rounds for me and I have not had a problem with it. I did a lot of research before I bought it, and decided on this one.
    I have not been dissapointed, and am very happy with the purchase.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I have that. My brass never looks as good as the stuff out of a Lyman.

11. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

May 13, 2009
    NW AR
    Gotta have that red

12. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Two Thumlers, one over 40 years old, had motor fixed once, the other one is around 18 to 20 years old, somewhere in there. Both do a very credible job and are very quiet, much more than the vibrator.

One Lyman, Turbo something or other, the one with the plug that empties itself. That feature is a waste of money, much easier and quicker to just pick it up and empty it into a separator.

I change the corn cob every leap year whether it needs it or not. I just need smooth brass, not shiny. The glare hurts my eyes plus it attracts the attention of other shooters who might try and steal brass from a crippled up old man. Kinda like having a trophy wife or girlfriend, always gotta keep an eye on 'em... never know what truck they might drive away in.

Jack

13. I've had two Harbor Freight tumblers. I wasn't savvy how to use the thing properly and didn't tighten down the wingnut enough, causing the hole in the lid to open up. The motor seized up shortly after that.

My second one has worked well so far, 5 months. I purchased the $5 'extended warranty' so we'll see.

14. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

Jul 9, 2000
    Snohomish, WA. USA
    Thanks for all the tips and opinions. I know where to start now.

15. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    got pics??

16. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    In the off season, use a spare Christmas light timer to make sure that doesn't happen. 2 Hours max so far. Very shiny brass so far. Also use a used dryer sheet to keep the cob clean.

17. PsychoKnight

PsychoKnight

Sep 30, 2006
    SoCal - SGV
    If you are willing to spend up to $75, I say go with Lyman ProMagnum 2500 (non-Autoflo). Its a 2 ga. capacity and rated for 2500 pieces of 9mm brass, or 1,000 38's. The best part about it is that its black, not the ugly orange bowls of the other Lymans, but with the history and experience of Lyman tumblers. +1 on Jack about avoiding the AutoFlo. I sold an almost new Autoflo because the was so fed up with the problems that "feature" caused. Get a rotating sift-basket from Midway, with custom bucket and you will be honkey dorey.

18. fourrobert13

fourrobert13 I am the law.

Oct 4, 2005
    SW Ohio
    I've had a lyman 1200 (i think) since 1999 and i runs like a champ. I recently picked up an RCBS at a yard sale and it runs excellent. Even with the newer tumbler, I still load up and use my lyman first out of habit I think.

19. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Sep 19, 2008
    MO
    What poblems did you have with the auto flow? I have one with the auto flow. Its for the most part useles but after many thousands of cases cleaned have yet to have a problem. I do use it but mostly due to lack of ownin a seperator. I dump the cases by hand and it helps me find the ones at the bottom