close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Brass scavanging at my local indoor range - observations

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cowboy1964, May 1, 2011.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Seems like more than half of the pistol cases are 9mm and .45 ACP. I'm really surprised there is so much .45 ACP. Coming in in third place would be .22 LR I guess. Coming in at fourth place would be .40S&W. I really would have thought there would be more .40. Following .40 closely would be .380 ACP.

Lots of rifle cases of various calibers. Which is odd because not that many people seem to be shooting rifles there. Maybe it just seems like there is a lot because they are larger.

There are surprisingly few metal or aluminum cases. Rifle cases seem to have a much higher percentage of these than do pistol.

I found my first 357 SIG case the other day. Just one. Ive been thinking about getting into 357 SIG but that fact that I recover very few of the cases that I actually shoot, since they go all over the place, I probably would run out of brass pretty quickly so I'm rethinking that. I really don't want to have to chase after every single case I fire.

I have never found 10mm or .45 GAP.

I've never noticed any revolver calibers either but maybe I've conditioned myself to ignore them entirely. You'd think there would be some since not everyone saves their brass.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Revolvers shooters take their brass home or put it in the trash can on the way out.

After decades of reloading, I came across one 10mm case mixed in with the brass I was picking up. I find a little 357Sig brass here and there, but I think people who shoot that round fire off a few boxes and trade the gun off because I never see it on a consistent basis.

Last edited: May 1, 2011

3. glocknick

glocknick

Aug 2, 2009
    i was happy to find 2 pieces of 10mm brass. seems very hard to find and i have never found 45 gap. 357 sig i have found about 50-100 over the years.

4. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    I find them all. I do shoot all those from 380 to 10mm but the only 45 gap 10mm 357 sig i find are usually mine. Its rare that you find revolver casings on the ground several times i have found full empty boxes of 38 on the table when i get there. I think i have found 1 38 super casing in 10 + yrs of looking

5. dbarry

dbarry Silver Member

Feb 15, 2010
    the Buckeye state
    I always clean up all the gap stuff before you guys get there.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Always regional. At the club I shoot, lots of 9mm & 40, very little 45acp. I think most 45acp, certainly the majority of 10mm shooters reload. Lots of LEO come to practice around here & they shoot mostly 40.

7. The majority of the indoor pickings I find are 9mm, followed closely by .40.

Whenever the range owner finds a few stray GAP rounds he hands them to me.

8. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Sep 15, 2007
    9mm is wha ti find the most. Most of the 45 guys ai know reload so they pick up after themselves. 40 ,i find only if some cops have been shooting.

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    That's why I love going to Sam's on the weekends for a quick visit. Mostly casual shooters. Today, Amy and I only shot 150 rounds total of 9mm. Went home with at least 500 9mm cases and another 150 or so of .45 and .40. for to be traded later bucket. :cool:

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I also see way more .40 than .45. I have 200-300 .357SIG, mostly collected a few years ago, I almost never see it now. Count me in as another who has never seen .45GAP. I have come across the occasional 10mm, not enough to keep.

11. I picked up a bunch of 10mm at the range today. Ours has brass everywhere and for long time foolks they let you pick up some. They seem to ignore the no picking up range brass rule if you keep it reasonable.

I am much more selective now. I only grab the 10's 357 sigs, 357 Max and the more uncommon rounds. I usually will pick up the 44/40 or 45 colts but I skip the 380's 9's 40's 357mag/38 specials and especially the 45's. They are like desert pavement on our range.

My shooting buddy picked up some 5.7x28's today. They are becoming more common now.

12. BSA70

BSA70

Aug 14, 2007
    NC
    My range depends on who is there before me. I reload .40 and have a life time supply. I reload .38 not near as much as the .40 but probably enough to last me. Bunches and bunches of .45, dont reload so I leave it there....

13. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I never shoot at indoor ranges. I did go shoot a IDPA match at one earlier this year. Worst IDPA match ever. But I did end up with almost half a 5 gallon bucket of brass. I was the only reloader that wasn't reloading 45. So lots of 9mm and about 500 rounds of 40. Which made the crappy match worth it.

14. BSA70

BSA70

Aug 14, 2007
    NC
    I have really thought about IDPA. What does it cost to preticipate in a match? Do you spend alot in a year on competition?

15. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    What do you mean by this? The range doesn't allow you to pickup any brass? Or is there certain "range brass" that you aren't supposed to pickup?

The ranges near me ask (actually, require) that people cleanup their brass.

16. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I don't do IDPA, but I have been to a few matches. It is about as user and amature friendly as a competition can be. Most places will let you shoot a few matches for $10.00 or so without joining IDPA. After a couple of matches, they typically expect you to join the organization.

While no combat matches relate much to actual combat IMO, IDPA is the least silly of them all. Stages are usually 10 rounds or so with a mag change or two. It's really idiot proof and requires no real investment. All you need is a holster that covers the trigger guard, a mag carrier and a couple of mags, a garment to conceal your gun, and a quick read of the rules. All of these things are stuff you should have already if you carry a gun.

17. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    As gun things goes IDPA is cheap. One place I go charges $10 and the other charges $11. All you need is 3 mags with 2 mag holders, a holster, gun, ammo, eyes and ear protection. Not that you can't spend a lot more if you are inclined. But to compete in Stock service pistol that it.
    We normally go through 120 round in a meet.

18. Here is what I found in the bucket of brass I bought at my local range...
    - Mostly 9mm, 45ACP, and 40S&W.
    - Quite a bit of .22LR.
    - A bunch of .38SPL and .357MAG.
    - Not enough .380ACP.
    - Some 10mm.
    - A handful of stepchild calibers like 45GAP and .357Sig.
    - Trace quantities of .25, .32, 9x18 Makarov, .38 Super and other weirdos.

19. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    32 ACP isn't a weirdo, I use it:whistling:

20. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Nov 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Anytime I find 10MM casings it's like I hit the lottery, everytime I loose one the need for Xanax kicks in.