close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brass Particles?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Rich22, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Rich22

Rich22
    Expand Collapse

Weird question

Loaded a couple hundred rounds and noticed something weird, I go and wash my hands like normal after loading and saw what looked like brass particles then saw some also in my cartridge catch bin which I will admit has not been cleaned in a long time. All produced ammo looks excellent and can find no obvious problems, scratches on brass etc. Is this normal or should I tear down the dies and inspect? Just pulled them apart and cleaned and lubed about 500 rounds ago?

Thanks

Rich

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Kentguy

Kentguy
    Expand Collapse

Rich22,

I believe your (every) bullet seating die not only reshapes the brass case back around the bullet but it does a minor chamfer operation. Both of these processes will scrape a very very small amount from around the neck in order to get the neck to seat tightly around the bullet.

I believe this is where your brass particles are coming from, and by the way this is normal.

#2 Kentguy, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54
    Expand Collapse

I've seen this with my Lee Classic turret press. I was going to post a question on this forum asking about this. Good post and good information.

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

Normal in my experience. Small flakes of brass come off the case mouth during sizing, expansion, and bullet seating. Case mouth of most brass is very rough unless/until trimmed.

5. Rich22

Rich22
    Expand Collapse

Excellent, wasn't sure if I was crimping too tight or perhaps had something wrong with my expander. Thanks for the info guys.

Rich

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Manufacturer trimmed the case. They didn't do a great job deburring it. So when you size and expand the case small pieces of brass get scrapped off the mouth of the case.