close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Brass Catcher?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ghostrider775, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ghostrider775

ghostrider775

Jan 24, 2008
    Reno, NV
    I was wondering if anyone has seen some sort of brass catcher for handguns. I reload for my 1911 and haven't decided about reloading for my Glock, but it is possible in the near future. I had seen something with a wire frame and mesh bag that velcro'd to your hand, but no one carries them anymore.

Any ideas?

2. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

Feb 25, 2007
    NW Missouri
    put down a tarp where you shoot. people won't give you funny looks that way.

3. ghostrider775

ghostrider775

Jan 24, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Thats what I would do, but I typically go to the local range, the lanes are open, so if I don't do something about the brass, people end up getting hit in the head and such :whistling:

That may sound stupid, but thats life.

4. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

Feb 25, 2007
    NW Missouri
    I guess it wouldn't work real well at a range probably. I didn't consider the fact that not everyone is as lucky as me and can shoot in their back yard.

5. Polak

Polak (pō'lāk')

Jan 13, 2008
    North Jersey
    You can always pick up the brass after each mag or five.

6. blaster_54738

blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    WI
  7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    I've tried them all. Most of them stink. Only a large canvas painter's tarp actually works! That's what I use. (Don't use plastic sheets; you can slip and fall - NOT a good thing to do with a gun in your hands!) ;)

8. ghostrider775

ghostrider775

Jan 24, 2008
    Reno, NV
  9. Bucky69

Bucky69 True Gravity

Feb 14, 2007
    Florida
    Yep, that brass catcher on ebay works great - if you want to burn the skin off the top of your hand. You see, the bag hangs against the top of your hand and the molten hot brass sometimes rests in the bag such that it burns the crap out of you hand. Nice.

10. kimberguy2004

kimberguy2004

Jan 14, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    It does??? Where is the hand loop?? This one looks like it sits in a base and has a telescoping rod that sits in some kind of base..

11. Bucky69

Bucky69 True Gravity

Feb 14, 2007
    Florida
    Yep. It does. My buddy had the back of his hand burnt (not seriously). Its one of those slow burners that burns you before you know it is happening.

From the listing:

12. blaster_54738

blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    WI
    i guess now that i think about it, yeah it would burn, they do make one that mounts to a tripod also. let us know how your homemade one turns out ghostrider, post some pics.

13. ghostrider775

ghostrider775

Jan 24, 2008
    Reno, NV
    They look pretty terrible. I have to figure out what kind of material to use for the bag, I'm thinking some screen material for a screen door. I dunno. I probably won't post any pics, its a hack-job.

14. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    :) Well, like I said: Every commercial brass catcher I've ever used on every firearm, except an AR-15, has turned out to be either a piece of junk or an inconvenient nuisance. The ones that attach to your arm have all the faults, and more, described here. The ones that are free standing, need to be securely mounted to something; and, you must carefully stand right next to them while firing.

Different shooters - all of them slow fire or relatively slow fire target marksmen - use these things at several of my gun clubs. Their catchers are tied to upright posts or held in place by heavy wooden bases. The shooter has to stand right there while he pops away. (It's a great sport! Quite honestly, I think I'd rather, 'suck on a gun barrel' than pistol target shoot.)

By comparison I will spread out a really large cotton canvas painter's tarp - That, because of it's 20' x 15' size, I need to take to a commercial laundry several times a year in order to keep clean - and move about while shooting: into, away from, and across the targets that I'm firing at.

This is especially important to me because the majority of my reloaded 45 acp ammo is all loaded into 45 Super cases that I want to use and reuse for as long as possible.

The only disadvantage I've found to spreading out a shooting tarp is that, sometimes, you have to wait until a portion of the firing line clears before you can open it and begin shooting. You can fold it, too, in order to fit a certain area; however, you really can't use it indoors.

I do a lot of holster work and like to move around while I am shooting pistol; however, if the range is crowded, then, I've either got to wait or travel to another range in order to practice. (That's the price you, sometimes, have to pay for learning how to do it better, or just plain figuring out how to have more fun with a pistol!)

Some shooters might wonder what I used to do at IDPA events? Well, at first I painted my case heads in bright colors; but, unfortunately, I found that too much of this painted brass would simply disappear in the confusion; and, no matter what coloring agent I used, the paint always ended up requiring me to completely takedown the pistol, afterwards, for a thorough cleaning. So, after awhile, all I used in public matches was cheap ammo like Blazer or WWB. Whether aluminum or brass, I just left the cases for the CRB's to scrounge. :)

So far, I haven't found anything more useful for catching valuable brass than a large canvas tarp. I cherish mine, spend a lot of money keeping it clean and patching the occasional ripped seams or holes. Although I haven't used it as such in years, now, my brass catching tarp, also, doubles as a great picnic or beach blanket, too.

These large tarps ARE expensive to buy; but, you only have to do it once; and, the one I have is, now, more than 20 years old.

:thumbsup:

15. Jeff51

Jeff51 NRA Life Member

Jan 30, 2000
    North Dakota
  16. Carcass2

Carcass2 Joe Momma's Bro

Jan 2, 2008
    So Cal
  17. ghostrider775

ghostrider775

Jan 24, 2008
    Reno, NV
  18. ghostrider775

ghostrider775

Jan 24, 2008
    Reno, NV
    :whip: I don't have one of those yet...

Thanks for everyone's input, keep 'em comin!!