close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brand new Glock owner. Questions about normal wear and tear.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Soilent, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Soilent

Soilent

Hey guys, just bought a new Glock 17 gen 3. This is my first Glock so I just had a few questions about normal wear and tear and lubrication. Immediately I started noticing some of the finish rubbing off the under side of my barrel and was wondering if this is normal. Also, the pin/button on the front of my recoil spring guide rod is sort of loose. Like, if I take it out of the gun I can turn it with my finger tips like a loose screw. Is something I should be concerned about? And should I lubricate the guide rod as well? The spring seems to be rubbing against it and rubbing the finish off it as well. Thanks.

2. DocWills

DocWills

All the stuff you describe is normal. Very minor lube with a good gun oil. Little goes a long way.

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Welcome to GT and its normal

:50cal:

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Did you get a Manual with this gun?

Did you read it?

5. 8th ID

8th ID

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Especially regarding the lube question.

But I do understand the questions about possible wear issues from a new owner.

Welcome & Congrats on the new Glock!!

6. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Its all normal. Read your manual, and very lightly lubricate the six points it says to. Very lightly...Glocks can run just fine without lube for long periods of time. My glock 27's slide and barrel is coated with nickel boron, so I dont lube it at all with the exception of one small drop every so often where the connector and trigger bar meet. There are lots of videos on youtube explaining how to disassemble and lubricate and clean. I suggest watching them!

7. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Concerned about the FINISH on the GUIDE ROD?

Wow, where does it stop. Dude, that piece is DISPOSABLE. Shoot 5-10k rounds and it goes in the garbage. Worrying about the *finish* on it is rather silly, don't you think?

Even the barrel. If you SHOOT it, you're gonna have some wear on it.
    Look at this:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/1...ns____what_to_look_for_in_terms_of_wear_.html

The pics of that barrel in the post on 2/10/2012 10:55:28 AM?
    That's how mine was looking after about 25k. With 5k you'll have not nearly that much, but those smilies will start showing.

Hey, I realize you're new. Just joined. And I'm probably coming across like a complete jerk.. not trying to do that... but if you SHOOT the gun... there's going to be wear and tear, especially on the internals. There are parts moving very fast and rubbing against each other. Asking questions about the *finish* on those internals, and well.... somebody is gonna give you grief about it. LOL

Welcome to GT, shoot your gun (LOTS) and enjoy it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  8. Soilent

Soilent

Trust me I'm not at all worried about keeping the pristine appearance of the gun. I'm simply asking about normal wear patterns/ issues being a new Glock owner. I just got a little concerned because I haven't even fired the weapon yet, but it's already showing spots of wear front racking the slide. And yes, you did come off like a jerk. :supergrin:

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Hey.... I started off "jerky", but then eased up. I mean, c'mon... you're asking about a throw away part (with the guide rod). And just because you're not shooting it... racking the slide is going to cause a metal spring to rub across/against a plastic guide rod. You think maybe that is going to mar the finish?

Doh! Sometimes, the jerkiness that is generated towards us is somewhat deserved.

Enjoy that new Glock.

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

New Glock pistols should be wrapped in a single layer of plastic Saran Wrap and baked in a preheated oven that is set on the lowest possible setting for approximately 30 minutes. When the Saran Wrap melts it will adhere to all exposed contact surfaces and any potential wear will be immediately stopped.

(I tried to stop myself from writing this; but I just couldn't!) :sadangel:

11. Soilent

Soilent

Should I coat the pan with extra virgin olive oil first? I don't want it to stick.

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

You know, I deserved that! :supergrin:

13. Mdot

Mdot

Ease up. He loves his first Glock and wants to keep it nice.

Welcome. Don't mind the Dbags. They had their first beer and are feel'n frisky. Everyone's tough on the net.

14. scosgt

scosgt

You will wear out long before your Glock does.

15. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Welcome and congrats. Enjoy the gun and treat it right and it will protect you for life!:supergrin:

16. Z71

Z71

A Glock 17 is the only pistol I've owned that worked 100% with broken and worn out parts inside. The gun being an old gen 1 ex-police G17 somebody shot a zillion times and carried until it lived up to the first-gen nickname 'slick-grip'

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

And what is your special problem? :rollingeyes:

Nobody brought rancor or animosity into this thread until YOU showed up. Watch your mouth! Calling other posters, 'dirtbags' and accusing people you don't even know of drinking isn't socially acceptable behavior - Not even on the internet.

Understand! :upeyes:

18. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Dbags = *********s

19. 125K9

125K9

Welcome to G'talk! As for the recoil spring, it won't hurt at all to put a few drops of oil on it if it's squeaking. Since it's a wear and tear item, as the others have said, the finish will wear. The rod's end cap is just loose, that's why it turns. It has to thread the entire length of the rod to tighten, so you'll have to turn it clockwise for quite some time if it's really loose. Some have had to turn theirs for several minutes, so don't worry(or give up)if you find yourself having to do the same thing.
    Hope you enjoy your new Glock. Oh yes, I'm sure your Glock dealer told you about the "one-way lock" in the back of your slide, or didn't he? Sometimes they're a bit lax about that or forget it all together. There should be a little wrench in your pistol's case that goes to the lock and it will need to be turned to the left BEFORE you reach the 200 round count. Sort of an "anti-theft" device.

20. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012