close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brand New Gen4 G19 Range Report-Not Happy!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ashecht, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ashecht

ashecht

Feb 10, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Took my brand new Gen4 G19 to the range today for the first time. Used the same Federal 9mm 115 grain ammo I have used in my Bersa, and in my XD9SC. Could NOT get 3 consequtive rounds fired successfully. Stovepipes, rounds not getting fed into the chamber correctly. I have noticed that the new spring does not stay down in the notch of the barrel, but rather begins to creep up. Also notice that the slide gets stuck a bit about 3/4 of the way down when putting it back on the frame. Almost looks misaligned on the frame until you get it all the way on. Very disappointed, after so much success w/my Gen 3 G23. Cannot believe I have to call Glock and probably have to send it to them, after attempting to put 100 flippin rounds through a brand new gun. Very aggravating. I am thinking my choice of a Gen4 over a Gen3 was a bit hasty. What a bummer!

2. StanA

StanA Millennium Member

Apr 7, 1999
    Arkansas
    Sorry you are having trouble, but I have to warn you (some) people on this board are going to tear you up for having problems with a Gen 4 :whistling:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010

3. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    99% of the Gen 4 problems are low powered/ light weight ammo. Try running some 147's through it see if that doesn't solve your problem!

4. ashecht

ashecht

Feb 10, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    its not my grip, its not my stance, its not the ammo. I have shot my G23 with the same ammo, same grip same stance, with no issues. is there an version 02 spring available for the G19 like there is for the G17?

5. curriek

curriek

Feb 13, 2008
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Sorry to hear that. I have a Gen 4 manufactured last month. Put 200rds with through it without a hitch. Call Glock, I'm sure they'll make it right for you. When I disassemble the slide, the guide rod creeps up as well, I don't know if that's a major contributing factor in your malfunctions or not.

6. curriek

curriek

Feb 13, 2008
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The spring should be a 03 if I remember correctly.

7. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

May 13, 2009
    NW AR
    Or get a gen 3 that can shoot any ammo

8. ashecht

ashecht

Feb 10, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    The gun was test fired in July of this year, and the spring has an "03" stamp on the end.

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I'd prefer it NOT actually to "be the ammo" but to be something just wrong with that particular gun. If Gen4's are going to be ammo sensitive Glock is no longer Glock. If a gun can't fire Federal 115gr range ammo then that gun is a joke.

I can understand Glock changing things in the .40s to soften recoil and solve the light problems but they shouldn't have messed with the 9mms.

10. Apprentice

Apprentice

May 17, 2000
    North GA,USA
    I know what you meant, same brand etc but it reminded me of accidentally picking up my shooting bud's G22/35 maga and using it to run a couple of mags of 9mm Blazer through my Gen 4 G19 before I realized I was using a .40 mag. It worked.

This is bad news. You might consider Larry Vickers Gen 4 9mm advice to lock the slide back for a couple weeks and then return to breaking it in. This wasn't necessary for my three Gen 4's but I've seen a few others post they thought that helped.

11. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    ALL Gen 4's are like this. It's not a defect or anything. The spring is supposed to only rest on the barrel lug when putting it together. The slide is supposed to be a little hard to put on because of the little tab on the trigger bar they added. BOTH of these will get smoother with use. These 2 items have nothing to do with your failures.

12. i figure it's about like anything else that just comes out. There are always some bugs that have to be worked out at first. This is just my opinion.

13. txgunguy

txgunguy

Dec 14, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Sorry to hear that. Mine eats federal 115 all day long. My round count is at 715 right now.

14. coastal4974

coastal4974

Nov 2, 2009
    I just ran 150 rounds of the same ammo in mine and had no issues. What did happen to mine is the slide lock had disappeared because the spring had broken. I called Glock and they are sending me new parts.

15. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    It looks like you are not alone. Many people are having similar issues. It appears that you either get a good one or you don't. If it only runs on heavy loads then Glock failed in the design. Any gun should run fine on standard factory ball ammo. In 9mm that means 115gr.

16. ashecht

ashecht

Feb 10, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I also notice that the pin that is directly over the mag well(dont know the technical term for it!) is bent, and it is not bent on my G23. Is that normal too? View attachment 204656

17. Engineer

Engineer

May 21, 2000
    NE Ohio
    Yes, on a 9mm, the ejector is supposed to be curved/bent like that.

Have you asked someone else to shoot it to see if the problem is duplicated?

18. Guess I'm going to have to go bad some of this Federal Ammo via Wally World to see if I can duplicate any of these issues. 2000+ rounds of various makes and weights with no malfunctions in my Gen4 G19. I'm sorry to hear about folks having issues with theirs, Glock will make it right, their customer service is top notch. I reckon I got a great one, no issues, sweet shooter, eats everything without prejudice, and very accurate. By the way, No, it's not for sale! This one's a keeper....forever.

19. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008

I don't own a Gen4 Glock but I've owned enough 9mm firearms (Sub2000 G17 version, PF9, XD9 Service/subcompact/tactical, G26/19, P89 and P95 all flawless with any ammo) that if one could not run with the standard 115gr. range ammo then that is defiantly a gun issue. In my own personal experience, 9mm handguns are the most reliable caliber handguns out there because of the pointy bullet fmj design and for a Glock of all guns to not be able to digest a certain weight ammo is bonkers.

From what I'm reading, it seems to be the recoil spring being too stiff and a call to Glock is in order to get the correct lighter spring.

20. Engineer

Engineer

May 21, 2000
    NE Ohio
    The new 02 spring is only for the Gen4 17. Right now there is only one recoil assembly for the Gen4 19