close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brand New G21 Gen4 gouge

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MGman, Jul 24, 2012.

1. MGman

MGman

Got home with new G21 Gen4 to notice a small "hang-nail" of plastic near the bottom of the grip. I used my thumb to pull it off but it opened a small gouge. It's not deep by any means but still...
    :crying:

Would you care if this were your new Glock and it had that plastic flashing flaw?

Any suggestions to fix or just shoot it and not care?[​IMG]

2. G23Gen4.40

G23Gen4.40 .40 Rocks

Wear will happen, that will not cause any issues. Don't worry about it.

3. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Hey. Is this like a test or something?

[​IMG]

I wouldn't sweat it and I'm pretty OCD about mine. You only notice it a lot because you know it's there.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Would not sweat it- how is the pistol performing otherwise? Im interested in this model myself.

5. Ranger45

Ranger45

Wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy that new G21!

6. SJ 40

SJ 40

My Glocks are 13, 10 and 6 years old and both have many charter marks on them,it wouldn't bother me. I learned long ago that guns if used and enjoyed never remain as factory new looking but I sure do Enjoy them. SJ 40

7. bruzer

bruzer

Sorry to say but that GOUGE IS HUGE!!! I tell you what. Because I am such a nice guy. I'll send you a prepaid box, you packed that G21 up and send it to me. This won't cost you a thing and you won't have to see that GOUGE anymore. I am only thinking of you and your best interest so don't delay. I see I've already broke one of the Polymids off mine (only a couple of weeks old) so yours will feel right at home.
    Good luck, shoot more and stay safe,
    Mike

8. MGman

MGman

I was laughing once I read this above...it's just that had I noticed it at the shop I may have gotten the other G21 there. I am curious though...did u really break off one of the polymids? (or a joke?) If so, how?

9. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Dude, it's not a H&H double rifle, it's a Glock...

10. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

I'd send it in. A hangnail that takes a decent junk of plastic when you remove it is a defect. It's just going to bug you more and more each day. See what Glock has to say about it. If they refuse to do anything about it, at least you can rest easy knowing you tried. I'd be pissed. Call me crazy, but when I buy a brand new product, I expect it to be pristine.

11. MGman

MGman

I can't afford the shipping to send it. (was lucky to afford the G21 as it is)

And I'd bet they say it's cosmetic and doesn't affect function. (I have had similar experiences with Glock (flashing missing inside of a G26 and other company's about "cosmetic flaws") They do nothing about it once I send it in. No way they replace the frame. I'm coming to the idea that 1. I have very bad cosmetic luck or 2 nothing is perfect and if you look hard enough you'll find a flaw in everything you buy no matter how expensive.

My new HK45c had "hangnails just below where the hammer rests. Had HK check it...they said it's only cosmetic. They did NOthing about it.

12. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

I guarantee whoever you shoot won't notice it. A gun is a tool not a painting. I can't believe you even posted this. :tease:

13. MGman

MGman

You're right...it's just it is Brand NEW MINT bought. But it is a home defense tool and with use it will get marred and scratched. Oh well....:faint:

14. azbuckeye

azbuckeye

Ignore the gouge and shoot the blazes out of it.....

15. CELT

CELT

I'll give you $400 shipped to my FFL....

16. bruzer

bruzer

No idea how the polymid was damaged. I had to say to myself, "This is a tool and WILL be used" especially after seeing the dings on the sights when I pulled it brand new out of the box at the store. Those first dings are always the hardest, just like a brand new car. I figured at least the dings came from the store and kept me from fretting and stewing over it.
    Good luck and stay safe,
    Mike

17. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

I agree with the others. This is a tool that will get some banging around. It may have been dropped. I dropped guns before. The trick us to let them fall and not try to catch them.

Now that your gun is imperfect, you can really use it without worry. The car analogy is good. I have learned not to worry even if the car is brand new.

18. Simplejack

Simplejack

Same here.. I used a tiny screw driver to knock out one of my pins and I didn't notice that the driver tip slipped off center and I tapped it with a hammer making two little driver head slots.. I feel like throwing my gun in the garbage and starting over.. :crying:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

19. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Well, next time inspect your potential purchase with a magnifying glass before you buy. Even if I wanted something super badly, I wouldn't buy it if it had even one little thing wrong with it. Would you buy a brand new car that has a scratch on the driver's door?

And to those who say a gun is JUST a tool, well ... you're wrong. It is a hobby, passion ... and a tool. Some people like their guns to serve a function and be pretty, too. And there's a difference when it is YOU who caused the blemish and when it was someone else's fault or the fault of the manufacturing process.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  20. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Sorry to read you suffered the consequences of the incorrect procedure.

Please, no hammers and no screw drivers. The only tool needed to detail strip a Glock pistol is a 3/32-inch punch.

It's necessary to move the slide stop lever forwards and backwards while applying pressure on the trigger pin. In order to get the trigger pin out, you must move the slide stop lever out of the trigger pin groove. Hopefully, you haven't also damaged the slide stop lever.

See this video (beginning at time mark 7:00) for proper instruction regarding the receiver pins: [plain]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0wDDFV0NY[/plain]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012