close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Brand New G17L Stovepipe Issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gregeby, Feb 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gregeby

gregeby

I am fairly new to Glocks, and I am new to this forum. I currently own 3 Glocks: a G26, a G17 (new and unfired), and a G17L (new - fired for the first time today).

As I noted above, I recently acquired a G17L and decided to go to the range today to try it out. The gun was recently manufactured (September, 2011). Out of approximately 200 assorted factory rounds, I experienced two stovepipes. The first jam occurred with RWS 124 grain FMJ. I believe the second occurred with Black Hills 124 grain JHP. I am using standard factory Glock mags (17 round mags). Perhaps I am being too picky, but my G26 has hundreds of rounds through it and has functioned flawlessly. [This is the kind of perfection I expect from Glock.]

After I was finished shooting, I noticed that one of the range staff was eyeballing my 17L. He began extolling the virtues and qualities of the G17L. He uses the same model for 3-Gun Competition and loves it. He was surprised when I told him about the two stovepipe jams. He offered to put the gun through its paces himself, and so I handed him the gun. he took the 3 mags and began loading a few rounds in each one. Then he began rapid firing the gun - followed by several rounds of deliberate slow fire. No hiccups. He handed me the gun and confidently declared, "There is nothing wrong with this gun. I would trust it from now on. Perhaps it was an ammo issue or a burr (since it is a brand new gun)."

Of course, additional time at the range will tell me if this is a break-in issue. I am not sure that the few rounds he put through it is a guarantee of future performance. I must admit I was a tad disappointed, however. I recognize I am a perfectionist. Am I being too hard on the 17L? Any thoughts?

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

3. Gperfection

Gperfection

Mine wasn't reliable until I fired about 500 rds through it. It was the only Glock I own that seemed to need a "break in". Now it's perfect. One thing to be aware of, is really providing a stable platform for the gun to function. I know everyone talks about limp wristing, but in this case that may be the cause of your issue. You might try firing a couple hundred nato or +p rounds through it, to see if that cures the problem for you.

4. gregeby

gregeby

Gperfection and bentbiker,

Thanks for the input. I will try to reserve judgment until I've put a few more hundred rounds through it....

gregeby

5. Check my Gat

Check my Gat

Just so you are aware as the other poster stated but did not elaborate on why - 9mm NATO is loaded to a +P+ pressure level. It is probably the cheapest way to get factory +P+ anything.

6. gregeby

gregeby

Thanks, Check my Gat.

7. TexasGlockster

TexasGlockster

Get ready for the limpwristing nazis to come down on you. I can hear it now..."If you gave it to someone else and it worked then it must be you!"

:chatter: ---- if you ask me ---> :deadhorse:

8. Gperfection

Gperfection

Good plan. No judgement here. I'm sure after you put more rounds through it, it will run just fine. Have fun with it, I like mine.

9. wallacefan

wallacefan

i noticed my 17L did that with a buddy of mine
    i never had a trouble but he shot it and slide jammed 2x on him

his elbow was bent and not allowing the slide action to fully react once he stiffened his elbow it was fine

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  10. Check my Gat

Check my Gat

I let a literal grandma shoot my 34 at the range. She fired it twice and caused a malfunction twice. I want to say it was a failure to feed both times. I've shot it about 1500 times and never experienced a malfunction. Operator induced error seems to be a fact.

11. Trgtguy

Trgtguy

All 17Ls use the same guide rod as their shorter pistols, example 17 & 22. What happens on the 17L , is the guide rod end hits the last opening in the slide and the button end doesn't clear the opening. One thing to do is dissasemble the pistol and re-insert the rod , turning it left or right and seeing if that cures it. If you take your 17l without the Mag in it with no ammo around and look at the front with the slide pulled all the way back and looking at the front, you'll see the problem. Glock could cure this by making the end opening at the front a little larger , so it clears easier. Also shooting a lot will eventually wear off the edges on the button end , as it is plastic, and it won't short stroke and cause stovepipes ! BTW, Glock should really make a longer guide rod that only fits the 17L and this would work .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  12. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

This same thing was happening to me. Once I got the new recoil rods chipped to a certain point, it worked great and would not catch. Clear the gun, pull back the slide slowly and wait for the slide to catch on the end of the guide rod.

13. gregeby

gregeby

Trgtguy and misfit356tsw,

The guide rod issue seems plausible, especially after examining the pistol with the slide locked back. I'm feeling better about it. Perhaps that is the problem. A simple fix....

Thanks to all you guys for all the helpful and reassuring input....

14. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

You are welcome. That initial breaking in of the plastic guide rod can be frustrating but once it is out of the way it is perfect. You can also go the full length guide rod route and bypass it. BT Guiderods has them and I bought the captured and non captured. The 17L has been the only Glock I have wanted an aftermarket guiderod for.

15. gregeby

gregeby

I just emailed Bill at BT Guide Rods.

16. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

I wish you the best. The 17L is truly one of my favorite guns. Reminds me of the AMT Longslide without the galling issues. Keep us posted please.:wavey:

17. gregeby

gregeby

Ok, here is an update on my new 17L and the stovepipe issue. I spoke personally with Glock personnel today, and they recommended further break-in (another 250 rounds) with heavy 147 grain bullets. Apparently, that is what they use in their testing facility. They indicated the 17L (the longest gun they manufacture) is more likely to require break-in than their other models. Bill at BT Guide Rods also advised me to completely clean out all the factory lube, re-lubricate and try again.

I'm not sure when I will get back to the range, but I will give you another update when I do.

18. sentian

sentian

Maybe because sometimes limpwristing is an actual issue.

19. gregeby

gregeby

Per Glock customer service instructions, I went to the range and put another 328 rounds through the G17L. I only had one stovepipe and that was midway through the range session. It occurred with Fiocchi 124 gr FMJ. I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the gun prior to going to the range. Glock customer service wants me to give it one more try at the range before sending it in...

By the way, this might seem a minor detail, but when I field strip the gun, I noticed the end of the recoil spring assembly is not completed seated all the way into the notch in the barrel. Is this normal? Perhaps the guide rod shifts a little bit when removing the slide from the frame. Just wondering...

20. abcomputin

abcomputin

Completely normal.