close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Brand new 637 and the crane bent!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by gilfo, Feb 5, 2013.

1. gilfo

gilfo

Mar 14, 2008
    Just brought my brand new 637 to the range. Loaded it up with 5 rds of 95gr cowboy loads and after finishing those the crane bent. What's up with that. Very disappointed in Smith right about now. Left it with the smith at the place I bought it.

2. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Did you shut the cylinder with a flick of the wrist, like in the movies?

Someone bent the crane, it doesn't just happen on its own through shooting.

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
  4. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    The only ways a crane can bend in firing is, by massive overload or being fired by an off center primer strike that manages to fire the round out of alignment with the barrel. In either case the bent crane would probably be one of the last things you would notice.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  5. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Was that wrong? Should he not have done that?

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Sounds like someone's been opening/closing the cylinder like 'in the movies'.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad juju. Hope it gets repaired properly.

7. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    NO, you should not do that

8. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I know. I should have put a picture of George Costanza when I posted that. :supergrin:

9. JGguns

JGguns

May 6, 2009
    greenville, sc
    Haha classic Costanza commentary there....

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    How exactly did the yoke "bend"? What makes you think it's bent?

Typically, someone may experience a damaged yoke when dropping the revolver onto a hard surface (concrete floor), where the revolver lands on its side and the impact bends the yoke barrel.

Deliberate mishandling can cause it, too (the already mentioned "wrist flip" method so popular on TV shows and in the Movies :shocked: ).

Did you take a camera photo before leaving it with the gunsmith? Is the gunsmith going to return the revolver to S&W for you for inspection under their warranty?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  11. gilfo

gilfo

Mar 14, 2008
    Well got the gun back from the gunsmith. He was not very talkative about what happen and why. He just said that the yoke/crane was apparently out of alignment from the factory and the 5 rd I out thru it made it worse.
    To the point the cylinder would not close. He realigned it and I shot 50 rds without a problem. Still a little disappointed with Smith And Wesson. Probably won't be buying anymore of their products in the future.
    I will be sending them a e-mail describing what happen too.

12. blastfact

blastfact

Aug 15, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Did you inspect the pistol before purchase?

13. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Something just isn't fitting in the narrative. If a crane is actually "out of alignment" or bent there isn't much a "smith can do unless he has the Smith & Wesson training and kit (Which is a sandbag and a lead Babbitt, but none the less it is really a "return to factory" problem.

OTOH if the screw that hold the cylinder in place (the front screw on the right side of the frame isn't snugged up, it could give a novice a problem resembling the symptoms described. That is about a 15 second fix.

Of course there is also the possibility that the center pin in the ejector star, that locks the cylinder to the frame t the rear got bent through mishandling.

I just don't see a '"Smith" jerking with truly bent crane instead of sending it back to the factory since it would be warranty issue and he would be voiding the warranty

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Yep,....ranks right up there with farting in Church