close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Boyd's tacticool stock

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by ARP, Oct 20, 2012.

1. ARP

ARP

Jan 29, 2012
    I like what I see and am thinking about building up a Ruger 10/22 with one and then a GM bull barrel. I have been on the fence if I want a wood grain stock that I would finish with stain and clear or do I want to paint a synthetic black stock, same design as the wood, in a coyote tan/ olive green color. Mainly I'm wondering which material will hold the tan/olive paint better, wood or synthetic. Process I'm thinking of is sand/primer/paint/satin clear coat with an aluminum wheel clear coat, very sticky durable finish.

2. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    Midway USA sells them unfinished, and I have seen several guys over on the rimfire central forum who have refinished them and they came out VERY nice, some guys used different colors, textured paint, etc.

3. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

I bought it finished from Boyd's with a textured painted finish. I sanded, stained and finished with spar urethane. Stock is laminated wood.

4. ARP

ARP

Jan 29, 2012
    laminated wood or are there 2 versions, 1 laminated and 1 synthetic nylon/plastic? Which one will holds paint better? In your picture you show the wood grain laminate and the before picture is what? Looks like nylon/plastic. If I am understanding you correctly it is only one version, laminated wood?

If not, let's say for sheets and giggles that I am going with coyote tan paint. Which one do I want to buy is the question, laminated wood or synthetic.

I have seen multitudes of pictures of stocks. I have put in a good bit of time viewing options. Most of the aftermarket laminate types in the form that I like (Boyds tacticool), someone thought painting a rifle easter egg purple or electric blue and having the wood grain showing looks good. I personally think not, don't want to offend anyone but going to a range and unzipping the bag and pulling out a fuggly rifle........negative chief, fix that right now. With that being said for my first rifle stock refinish I'm going with paint, coyote tan.

5. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    My stock is laminate wood. It came with a textured paint finish. I bought it directly from Boyd's on the 2nd production run of the initial release a few years ago.

6. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    [​IMG]

Bought it in the rough from Midway. Sanded, stained with Minwax Dark Walnut, and finished with boiled linseed oil to match my Garands.

7. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    The stock is wood. Boyd's website sells the stock with a black rubber finish (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/TACT-RUG-10-22-920-BC-STK-BLK-p/600-410.htm) and midway sells the stock unfinished and rough milled (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/73...-10-22-920-barrel-channel-unfinished-laminate). I can't fathom why anyone would want to buy a wood stock with a rubbery top finish as Boyds is selling them.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  8. glock_collector

glock_collector

Dec 23, 2011
    My kid built a 10/22 with a boyd stock and I gotta tell ya everytime I pick that thing up, look thru the aim point, feel the balance of the kevlar with ss insert barrel, how the stock settles in perfect everytime, I get wood just thinking about it.!! I am gonna steal it from him someday...

9. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    Minwax Wood Stain Dark Walnut and Helmsman Spar Urethane thinned with a little mineral spirits brushed on, sanded between coats with 220 sand paper and final buffing with 000 Steel Wool.

10. Bob

Bob G23/C,G24/C,G33 Millennium Member

Dec 19, 1998
    E. Wa
    The Boyd’s stocks are all wood. The TactiCool is wood also with a textured paint finish, nothing more.

The TactiCool is basically a McMillian A5 knock-off.

Close-up of a Tacticool with a Savage 93 Action:
    [​IMG]

:cool:

11. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    Just noting that Midway also sells the stock in the raw, unfinished form.

12. harleypilot

harleypilot

Aug 14, 2012
    South Carolina
    I bought the Boyd's unfinished stock from Midway when I built my heavy barrel 10/22 target rifle.

I used a light walnut stain, then 10 hand rubbed coats of Tru Oil.

I would show a picture, but I have a couple of pictures on other threads and apparently there is a limit of 2 or 3 so I am unable to load one here.

Jim