Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Boycotting of Gun Free Businesses

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Bodyarmorguy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. One of our local movie theaters was recently acquired by Carmike Theaters. My girlfriend and I were attending to see Zero Dark Thirty when I notice a sign in their window stating that (paraphrased) regardless if you have a concealed weapons permit, no guns are allowed on the premises.

Movie theaters are not one of the specific places listed in Florida Statutes as a no carry zone. If you are caught with one all they can do is ask you to leave (refusal to do so would constitute armed trespassing).

I plan to print some business cards with some specific language on it. I am going to give them to several of my friends and ask that each time they are in the area to stop at the theater, act as if they are going to buy a ticket, then stop, ask for the manager, give them a card, inform them that I will be patronizing their competitors and then leave. The specific language on the card will read:

I am a Concealed Weapons Permit Holder
    I Have Never Been Convicted of a Felony
    I Have Never Been Convicted of a Crime of Violence
    I Have Never Been Convicted of Domestic Violence
    I Am Not Addicted to Or Use Illegal Drugs
    I am Not Under Indictment or a Fugitive From Justice
    I Have Passed Both State and Federal Background Checks
    How Much Do You Know About Your Other Customers?
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    That would be a theater I would never go to ,they would never get a dime of my money !
    SJ 40

3. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010
    I will not patronize businesses with anti-gun policies. I hope that they wither on the vine and go out of business.

4. BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    I really like the verbage you use on the business card. That's a good message.
  5. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Apr 25, 2012
    The fuzz will be along shortly to remind us that having a conceal carry permit doesn't make you trustworthy.
  6. Donn57

Donn57 Just me

Aug 11, 2006
    Sunny Florida
    And they would be right.
  7. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Jan 3, 2007
    Having a badge doesnt make you trustworthy either. Just means you haven't been convicted of anything yet.
  8. Pilotdude3407

Nov 25, 2012
    West GA
    Minus illegal places posted in the law, I just CCW whenever I go. I don't open carry and am very careful to dress appropriately so as not to reveal my weapon. I don't even read the sign. It's a waste of paper to me.
  9. The Fed

The Fed

Dec 23, 2012
    Central Florida
    You might be unpleasantly surprised if you look at the "Code of Conduct" signs posted in many if not all malls, whether open or enclosed. Look for signs on the walls either just inside the entrances or on portable or permanent signage outside. I'm pretty sure they all will specify no weapons allowed. Of course, in Florida security can only ask you to leave if discovered. Perhaps they spotted me the day, because a mall security cop near their food court followed me around just about the entire time even though I'm only a few years away from being eligible for Medicare and had my similarly aged wife with me. Goes to show you how smart they are - following me instead of the obvious gangbangers wearing gang colors just because I was wearing my shirttails out and a big NRA pin on my lapel. The last time I was there, this is what was going through my mind after I saw the bangers - I need a bigger gun. These kids were so big no mall cop would have been able to wrestle them down to the ground. Does this mean you never set foot in a mall? That's up to you.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  10. The Fed

The Fed

Dec 23, 2012
    Central Florida
    And why are you involving your friends? Giving a card like that to the movie theater manager in the current climate? He has a RADIO and will immediately call his security. They all have people, even though you don't see them. If your friends have weapons on them they will be detained, the police or sheriff will be summoned, and they will be formally trespassed. They don't need to ask you to leave and wait to see if you come back since you just gave them cause to file on you. You'll see how much that permit means then. You'll be lucky if they don't ask the DoA to pull it

If you want to make a point, do it yourself.
  11. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    He's involving his friends because he's a police officer, and he wouldn't be very one very much longer handing out cards like that to local businesses.
  12. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Jun 28, 2006
    San Antonio, Texas
    First, I like the verbiage of the card. If you don't mind, I would like to use it as well.

Second, here in TX if their sign doesn't comply with 30.06 law, then it's not a valid sign that would exclude me as a CHL holder for carrying there. That being said, however, it shouldn't matter to you one way or the other (the sign that is).

Concealed means concealed. They should never know you carried there unless you were forced to defend yourself or someone else. I've had people rant and rave about people who carry guns and the "mentality" of CHL holders, all while not knowing that I was standing right next to them armed, with two spare magazines on me. Don't hate them, they're entitled. Pity them; you're entitled.
  13. Bill Lumberg

Jun 14, 2002
    Because it's brilliant for a permittee to carry a firearm in a clearly posted movie theater, especially while the joker trial is in the news. Brilliant!
  14. Lior

Jul 23, 2004
    Another reason to wait for the DVD to come out.
  15. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    You mean because it might scare some soccer mom if she sees a lump.........or because somebody might watch Court TV and decide it's a wonderful idea to copycat the joker that's on trial?
  16. Bill Lumberg

Jun 14, 2002
    Because someone detected with a gun in a posted place who is not a cop is likely (not incorrectly) to be presumed to be a fool, a threat, or both.
  17. if i attempt to enter a business (any business) and they ban CCW carry.. i simply turn around and leave.. there at too many American values businesses to patronize the commie ones..
  18. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Jun 28, 2006
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well, genius... here in TX, you can post a sign on the door to any establishment that reads: WE DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO CARRY A FIREARM ON THESE PREMISES> DO NOT ENTER IF YOU HAVE A GUN WITH YOU, EVEN IF YOU'RE A CHL HOLDER. in such a manner as that it can't be missed....

Do you know what that means to a legally carrying CHL holder? Nothing. If the sign does not conform to 30.06, the a legally carrying CHL holder can ignore it and enter the premises and guess what... if he's outed, all they can do is ask him to leave. only when he refuses to leave is he committing a crime. Otherwise, he can enter, watch the movie, and leave knowing that he did not break the law in any way.
  19. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    Be sure to write your local news paper with concern about how all those unarmed victims are just sitting there waiting for an insane person come kill them like the Jews were to Hitler.
  20. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

May 10, 2002
    Anyone with an I.Q. greater than room temp knows its not a bright move to carry where posted, period. Trying to see what you can get away with rather than complying with the owner/establishments clearly indicated wishes is behaving more like a criminal than like a responsible citizen.