close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Boycotting antigun employers...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Toorop, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    The carrying while at work thread got me thinking about anti-gun companies that forbid their employees from carrying at work. Why dot we list our employers and then we can all boycott them and let them know that until their employees have the ability to carry a firearm at work they will not see a dime of our money.

I work for Panduit Corporation doing sales. I am forbidden to carry while at work and when on sale trips using the company vehicle.

Where do you work?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. J_Rico

J_Rico

Aug 17, 2007
    If we boycott your employer and you are in sales...will that not hurt you?

3. GlockTalk.com

4. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    I am willing to take the hit to my pay for this cause. And it will not hurt me that much but even of it did I willing to live with it. I will not be in direct sales much longer as I plan to transfer to an operational position.

5. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    I going out on a limb and guessing they are pro-gun. :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  6. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Feb 28, 2008
    Boycotting employers seems to be self defeating. At least in a recession.

7. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    So you are listing your employer here, asking us to boycott them, and you are going to transfer to another part of the company that won't be hit so hard by a boycott?

Why not just quit the company if you don't like their rules?

I remember those other threads and while I don't agree 100% with the pro-employer side, this thread doesn't represent the so-called "anti-employer" side because your request is laughable. You are mistaken if you don't think a boycott to your company is going to "hurt you that much". What kind of person would ask the general public to boycott the company they work for? Did you show your employer this thread? :faint:

8. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Almost seems more honorable to just sneak around with the concealed gun anyway... :tongueout::rofl:

Encouraging folks to boycott your company is probably a fireable offense just as much as getting caught with a gun against company policy....

Although, it would be much easier to find the new job without the "guy with a gun" moniker.

Buddy of mine got caught with one, fired. Talked to him later, seems the "well had been poisoned", he had to move out of state to find work. Seems somehow word got out to potential employers....
    Randy

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  9. Dogguy

Dogguy

Aug 2, 2008
    Soggy South.
    I'm retired.

But prior to being retired, I worked in government service. In one of those buildings with a sign on the front door advising that weapons are not allowed. One of those places that an infraction of that rule could land you in a Federal prison.

So you expect us to boycott all government/quasi-governmental agencies--local through Federal level? Good luck on mailing a letter, flying out of an airport, vacationing in a National Park, hunting in a National Forest, etc.

Oh, yeah. Also good luck on filing for your unemployment compensation benefits.

10. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    If you feel so strongly, why are you there? Tell them your objections and leave.

11. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Jan 24, 2005
    SC
    I avoid gas stations that sell fuel from Shell & Phillips66. Remember their searching employees' cars on public parking areas, and firing the ones with firearms in their cars?

Any business with no firearms posted on the door do not get any business from me.

12. 4runner freak

4runner freak

Dec 5, 2008
    You have to realize that companies that allow guns in the work place have to have a much higher hazard insurance policy. Lots of companies have the "no weapon" policy simply to save money.
    And OP, you need to delete this thread as employers are doing much more internet research on prospective and current employees. If they find this, you will be fired on the spot.
    Just my $.02

13. Grammy

Grammy Infidel

Jul 8, 2010
    Texas, where else?

:agree::agree::agree:

14. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Mar 23, 2001
    WV
    I presume you mean "Panduit" Corporation? I don't think any boycott initiated here would have much of an effect on their sales.

Carrying at work isn't even a possibility for me - I work in MD.

15. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    May have even been posted from a company computer. :whistling:

16. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    Correct.

17. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    The transfer is more of a promotion if you will. Irregardless the whole company would be hurting if people boycotted them. The same can be said of any company.

18. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    I have no objections to them banning guns on company property. That is why I don't mind it. However there are many people on here who do object to it and continue against policy. Why don't they use this alternative means of fighting the system rather than just break company policy? This isn't the cowards way out and "just concealing it because I can get away with it". Nor is it the dishonorable way and breaking the agreement that you have with your employer.

I am not to worried about being able to carry at work. I don't carry at work because I respect the property owners rights to limit what comes on their property. I gave my word when I signed that work agreement and as an honorable man I keep it.

19. Toorop

Toorop

Apr 28, 2010
    The Midwest.
    I have no problem if these current and prospective employers look me up as I have not done anything wrong.

So it is ok for them to ban employees from carrying because it will save them some cash on insurance? What about the lives of the employees? They could be killed if they don't have their sidearms with them?

If the company bans customers from carrying in their stores and posts signs, is that ok as well?

20. 4runner freak

4runner freak

Dec 5, 2008
    1. Suggesting a boycott of the company that you work for will very likely get you reprimanded if not fired.

2. Lots of companies don't care about their employees at all(Hence the firing of employees that defended themselves). It is a money game, not a good boy/girl pat on the back, game.

3. Of course it is fine for companies to post signs. I don't think that ANY company should have the ability to restrict LAW-ABIDING customers from carrying at all, but I won't shop at a place that has a sign, even if it is meaningless. Luckily, I live in CO and a sign doesn't hold any value and I've never seen one.

Comparing employee rules and customer rules are two different issues.
    As a customer, I will find a different company to spend my money.
    Employee rules are, to you, a balance of your job or your life, and, to your employer, are more to let employers feel that they are saving money and more protected(Which is a complete lie) from issues with angry people that have been let go. Do I think it is OK? No, but it is all about the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.